Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1972458 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17070 on: January 04, 2013, 07:16:51 PM »
I found two amazing names today: (slightly changed to protect the source)

LaShantaNette

Sabrina Victoria-Alexandra Monroe-Sebastian (and that is her maiden name)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17071 on: January 04, 2013, 07:25:23 PM »
Amphelady.  ???

That name just turned up in my family tree. It appears that someone just made it up, as just the one person turns up when I do a Google search on the name. Her siblings were Joachim, Elizabeth, Christopher, Mary, and William.
I have a Waitstill in my family tree.  And again, her sibs all had ordinary names, like Sarah and Ann and Elizabeth.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17072 on: January 04, 2013, 07:43:18 PM »
Maybe it's that I live in a state with a lot of Germans, but Heinrich doesn't seem that strange to me. I've seen listings for at least two boys named Otto in the last year.

Channing & Tattum seem pretty common, too. Maybe I'm just getting used to the craziness.

I think it depends on how you pronounce them. for instance, I would pronounce Tattum as Tat-tum because of the double T but based on other posts in this thread, the parents are likely to insist that it is pronounced Taytum.

It's supposed to be spelled Tatum, and the pronunciation makes sense. (As in the actor Channing Tatum.) The double t should indeed make it be pronounced Tat-tum, but people are just misspelling it without realizing that changes the pronunciation.

Maxiestar

« Reply #17073 on: January 04, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »
While we're on the subject of family trees, I have a couple of names to share

Shadrack Meshack and Van Buren, both father and son. I came across these while looking at my family tree recently.

snowdragon

« Reply #17074 on: January 04, 2013, 09:26:43 PM »

Shadrack Meshack and Van Buren, both father and son. I came across these while looking at my family tree recently.

Shadrack and Meshack are alternate spellings of Biblical characters Shadrach and Meshach ( Book of Daniel )

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #17075 on: January 04, 2013, 10:00:48 PM »
List of names from the last 3 months birth records at the local hospital here:

Some of those are not too out there. I've seen names like Tenley and Blakely before. And I used to have a co-worker named Pryiah. I thought that was quite pretty.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #17076 on: January 04, 2013, 11:49:45 PM »

If there are already two kids named Shadrack and Meshack, why not just go ahead and name the third kid Abednego?
Why switch out to Van Buren?

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #17077 on: January 05, 2013, 12:06:38 AM »

If there are already two kids named Shadrack and Meshack, why not just go ahead and name the third kid Abednego?

Somebody's interests switched from Biblical to American history?

Editeer

« Reply #17078 on: January 05, 2013, 01:40:16 AM »
I know both a Channing and a Manning, both male, about 50 years old. Manning's father was named Ladd. Ladd's own father was named Manning, and his father was Ladd. The first sons alternated names through several generations.

Addy

« Reply #17079 on: January 05, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »
Briony

That one is a legitimate older name that is now making a comeback.  It's a variation of the plant name bryony.

I know two women named Briony, both in their mid to late twenties. They pronounce it differently though, so one is Bree-ony, and the other is Bri(long i)-ony.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #17080 on: January 05, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »
List of names from the last 3 months birth records at the local hospital here:

[...]
Gershom

[...]

OTOH seeing some lovely classics (Beatrice, Mavis).  Boy names that are trending here are Levi and Bentley.

Gershom is a Biblical name.  That was the name of one of Moses' sons.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17081 on: January 05, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »
Same with Levi

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #17082 on: January 05, 2013, 05:29:57 PM »
My guess is that it wasn't so much the presence of Nicole but maybe the absence of a saint's name with it?  I know of an elderly woman who was quite recently concerned to find out her great grandchild was getting a name completely devoid of a saint's name.  It wasn't always expected to be the first name but it was usually somewhere in there back in the day.  I have never heard of a priest nowadays urging it, at least around here , but I think some of the crowd who are old school still think that way.

I always thought Nicole and Nicolette were the feminine versions of Nicholas and therefore Good Ole St. Nick was their namesake. 
Formerly Mrs.Bart

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #17083 on: January 05, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
Yes, they are the feminine versions of Nicholas, but in the eyes of the Catholic Church, that didn't cut it. There would have had to be a St. Nicole. 

Interestingly enough, my mother also has a name that does not have a saint attached to it, but since her name is Christiane, I guess the priest couldn't object to that. (All right, it was probably not the same priest.)

Maxiestar

« Reply #17084 on: January 05, 2013, 07:54:17 PM »

Oh! Sorry, I meant to say that Shadrack's middle name is Meshack. Van Buren is Shadrack's son. Sorry for the confusion!