Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1951706 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17100 on: January 10, 2013, 10:56:02 AM »
I just heard this one last night. I will try and be vague, and not give away any details, but twins, boy and girl.  Boy is Beowulf November and the girl is Owl. I can’t recall the middle name, but it was “normal” but not all that common.

My comment was "who names their child after a bird of prey?"

turtleIScream

« Reply #17101 on: January 10, 2013, 11:07:59 AM »
Our local radio station was doing a call-in segment this morning about baby names - they quoted a statistic that more than 50% of parents regret a name they chose for a child (I have no idea where the stat came from, or if it's true). I heard several stories from parents who just didn't realize giving their child a 4 syllable first name and 4 syllable middle name, along with their 3 syllable last name, might cause problems come kindergarten time. Or they never paid attention to how strange it sounds to say all their kids names together. I wonder if any of the parents spoken of in this thread regret their name choices?

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17102 on: January 10, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »
My daughter has a relatively uncommon name, including a "made up" middle name (although it is pleasant and not odd - Viviana), and I put a lot of thought into what each potion of her name means, what her monogram would be (so it wouldn't spell something vulgar, for example), how her name would sound and look on paper...... I would imagine that most parents really liked what they named their children for whatever reason, even if other people find it weird.  I would feel so bad for the parents who regret their naming choices!

Ereine

« Reply #17103 on: January 10, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »
Isn't Viviana an old (as in a Roman saint's name) and not terribly uncommon name? It's been in the top 500 in the US, though I don't know how common that actually makes it but it was more popular last year than Susan for example. My cousin's named the Finnish variant of that, Viivi. It was also the name of an early Finnish female architect who changed her name to Wivi as Germans pronounced Vivi as Fifi and she didn't like that.

squeakers

« Reply #17104 on: January 10, 2013, 02:49:59 PM »
I just heard this one last night. I will try and be vague, and not give away any details, but twins, boy and girl.  Boy is Beowulf November and the girl is Owl. I can’t recall the middle name, but it was “normal” but not all that common.

People who name their child Shannon.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17105 on: January 10, 2013, 02:51:39 PM »
Isn't Viviana an old (as in a Roman saint's name) and not terribly uncommon name? It's been in the top 500 in the US, though I don't know how common that actually makes it but it was more popular last year than Susan for example. My cousin's named the Finnish variant of that, Viivi. It was also the name of an early Finnish female architect who changed her name to Wivi as Germans pronounced Vivi as Fifi and she didn't like that.

I had never heard of it before!  I thought I made it up to mean Lively One Loved By God :)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #17106 on: January 10, 2013, 03:28:58 PM »

If you had said the little boy was "Talon Duke", well, my cousin and her husband.

The kids are six, and actually Owl kinda suits her.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17107 on: January 10, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »
I came across a name today at work:

Sally-Anne Samantha-Sam Samuelson

The name has been changed (slightly) to protect the poor soul laden with this name, but I can attest it is her legal maiden name.

magicdomino

« Reply #17108 on: January 10, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »

The name has been changed (slightly) to protect the poor soul laden with this name, but I can attest it is her legal maiden name.

Hmmm.  I wonder if her father's name was Sam Samuelson.   :)

Redwing

« Reply #17109 on: January 10, 2013, 07:13:54 PM »

I am happy to see someone named Sally as that is my name.  I've met only about 10 other Sally's in my life and I am well into middle-age.  Took me until I was about 20 to actually like my name.  This; however, seems excessive.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #17110 on: January 10, 2013, 07:23:08 PM »

The parents of lots of people named "Hawk" and "Raven," for starters.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17111 on: January 11, 2013, 12:11:48 AM »
Bird species that are used as names:

Jay
Robin
Rhea
Oriole (I know somone with this name, actually)

I've also heard of a Peregrin.

It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

wendelenn

« Reply #17112 on: January 11, 2013, 12:16:46 AM »

Jay
Robin
Rhea

Fool of a Took!
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17113 on: January 11, 2013, 12:32:45 AM »

Jay
Robin
Rhea

Fool of a Took!
;)

I meant in real life.  ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Rohanna

« Reply #17114 on: January 11, 2013, 12:57:42 AM »
Also Wren and Ava are "bird" names :)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.