Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1837477 times)

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17115 on: January 11, 2013, 12:59:24 AM »
Bird species that are used as names:

Jay
Robin
Rhea
Oriole (I know somone with this name, actually)

I've also heard of a Peregrin.

Fool of a Took!
;)

I meant in real life.  ;D

I know a 6 1/2-year-old girl with the middle name Peregrine.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

pharmagal

« Reply #17116 on: January 11, 2013, 05:14:42 AM »
Isn't Viviana an old (as in a Roman saint's name) and not terribly uncommon name? It's been in the top 500 in the US, though I don't know how common that actually makes it but it was more popular last year than Susan for example. My cousin's named the Finnish variant of that, Viivi. It was also the name of an early Finnish female architect who changed her name to Wivi as Germans pronounced Vivi as Fifi and she didn't like that.

I had never heard of it before!  I thought I made it up to mean Lively One Loved By God :)

I have a customer who is in her mid thirties, that's her name.   

A quick facebook search reveals it's not a common name, but it's been around for a while.  It generally means Vibrant, and full of life.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17117 on: January 11, 2013, 12:33:34 PM »
Isn't Viviana an old (as in a Roman saint's name) and not terribly uncommon name? It's been in the top 500 in the US, though I don't know how common that actually makes it but it was more popular last year than Susan for example. My cousin's named the Finnish variant of that, Viivi. It was also the name of an early Finnish female architect who changed her name to Wivi as Germans pronounced Vivi as Fifi and she didn't like that.

I had never heard of it before!  I thought I made it up to mean Lively One Loved By God :)

I know a woman in my city named Viviana.  I've always thought it was a very pretty name. 

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #17118 on: January 11, 2013, 12:35:50 PM »
It is a lovely name. Here's some, albeit short, information about the name:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Viviana
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #17119 on: January 11, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »
in Jr high I knew a set of twin girls named Rochelle and Rachelle. They were called Ro (ROE) and Ra (RAY)

also, when my little brother was born, in 1992, Dad wanted to name him Hannibal Wolfe.
Our last name had a first name inside it, think Johnson. So, Mom wanted to name lil brother John Johnson.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17120 on: January 11, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »

I've always been fond of it. It reminds me of Arthurian Legend--Viviane is one of the names for the Lady of the Lake.

thedudeabides

« Reply #17121 on: January 11, 2013, 02:17:48 PM »

I've always been fond of it. It reminds me of Arthurian Legend--Viviane is one of the names for the Lady of the Lake.

I like it - reminds me of my grandmother Vivian.

Shea

« Reply #17122 on: January 11, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »
Bird species that are used as names:

Jay
Robin
Rhea
Oriole (I know somone with this name, actually)

I've also heard of a Peregrin.

I once knew a girl called Kestrel. She'd be about 21 now.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

BB-VA

« Reply #17123 on: January 11, 2013, 06:20:37 PM »
I prefer bird names to booze names.  JMHO.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #17124 on: January 14, 2013, 04:35:58 PM »
I know Brandi is a well established name and many people like it (I have nothing against it), but the first time I heard it I was 8 years old and I pondered very hard on the reasons her parents name her after a drink, and an alcoholic one at that.  I wondered why and what were they thinking, and does being named after a drink make you more exotic and exciting?  Because to me such a strange strange choice must make her a very mysterious girl.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17125 on: January 15, 2013, 06:37:43 AM »
I stopped off to get petrol and discovered the attendant I got (we're not allowed to pump our own gas where I live) was named (according to his nametag) "Excellent".  ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #17126 on: January 15, 2013, 08:58:41 AM »
I know Brandi is a well established name and many people like it (I have nothing against it), but the first time I heard it I was 8 years old and I pondered very hard on the reasons her parents name her after a drink, and an alcoholic one at that.  I wondered why and what were they thinking, and does being named after a drink make you more exotic and exciting?  Because to me such a strange strange choice must make her a very mysterious girl.

Brandy's a fine girl  ;)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17127 on: January 15, 2013, 10:03:49 AM »

Brandy's a fine girl  ;)
Her eyes could steal a sailor from the sea.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

pwv

« Reply #17128 on: January 18, 2013, 11:13:05 AM »
On Toddlers and Tiaras:   mom  Broughnman and her daughter  Paetynn

On Family Feud (from various families):

(female) -  Rainy, Gwenique, Chamblee, Syberina, British, and Ingra

(male) - Damein and Damian (in the same family), and Raemont (with an accent over the 'e')

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17129 on: January 18, 2013, 12:44:57 PM »

Brandy's a fine girl  ;)
Her eyes could steal a sailor from the sea.

Or, she could enter the healing professions, and introduce herself as Medicinal Brandy.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."