Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1845535 times)

Rohanna

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17145 on: January 22, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »
Icelandic background? -dottir is the Icelandic equivalent of -son, but for women. Traditionally, Jon's son and daughter would be Sven Jonson and Helga Jonsdottir. :)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17146 on: January 22, 2013, 06:57:37 PM »
SIL works in a hospital and has seen these names (former UL's!)

Orangejello (or-ANG-gel-oh)

I actually sorta like the pronunciation on this one. Wouldn't give it to a kid, but I may have to use it for a character someday. Just have to figure out a halfway decent spelling...

Aurongelo?

How about Angelo? Real name, close pronunciation.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #17147 on: January 22, 2013, 07:08:11 PM »

L-a (also went to school with her son)
Limejello (lee-MON-gel-oh)
Placenta
Urine (ur-in-EE)
I think your SIL is pulling your leg.  See http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp. and http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp

I'm a member of snopes since 01, but thank you.  ;).  Hence the "former ULs" in the title.

I don't think she's pulling my leg.  She's not that kind of person, but I suppose it's possible.  According to her, she's actually had patients with those names.  As a librarian, I've actually some pretty bad names as well.

And I have no idea why Limejello was pronounced that way, but she actually had to clarify the spelling and pronounciation with the patient.

If she can provide ANY proof for these names, snopes is going to love her! And everyone who is interested in names will love her as well, because each time weird names are discussed the -Jello twins, L-a, Urine, Placenta, Nosmo King, S**thead, Latrine are mentioned.

There have been people looking for the -Jello twins for a long time and each time they have asked for proof it can't be provided. It's an old, persistent and very popular UL and I have a hard time believing, in this day and age, that with all the digital information available to us, no one has been able to find the -Jello twins.

The names may have started out as a UL, but it is highly likely that someone has read about it and purposely given those names to their child, just because they were 'cool'.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #17148 on: January 22, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »
Icelandic background? -dottir is the Icelandic equivalent of -son, but for women. Traditionally, Jon's son and daughter would be Sven Jonson and Helga Jonsdottir. :)

-dotter is the Swedish equivalent, so I think that's where "Odinsdotter" comes from, although in Sweden itself they now have regular last names instead of patronymic names.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #17149 on: January 22, 2013, 08:23:26 PM »
Had a "Kieairra" in my class today. Pronounced like "Kira" or "Kierra". Why her parents needed all the extra vowels, I have no idea.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #17150 on: January 23, 2013, 10:56:55 AM »

Placenta
Urine (ur-in-EE)
I think your SIL is pulling your leg.  See http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp. and http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp

I'm a member of snopes since 01, but thank you.  ;).  Hence the "former ULs" in the title.

I don't think she's pulling my leg.  She's not that kind of person, but I suppose it's possible.  According to her, she's actually had patients with those names.  As a librarian, I've actually some pretty bad names as well.

And I have no idea why Limejello was pronounced that way, but she actually had to clarify the spelling and pronounciation with the patient.

If she can provide ANY proof for these names, snopes is going to love her! And everyone who is interested in names will love her as well, because each time weird names are discussed the -Jello twins, L-a, Urine, Placenta, Nosmo King, S**thead, Latrine are mentioned.

There have been people looking for the -Jello twins for a long time and each time they have asked for proof it can't be provided. It's an old, persistent and very popular UL and I have a hard time believing, in this day and age, that with all the digital information available to us, no one has been able to find the -Jello twins.

The names may have started out as a UL, but it is highly likely that someone has read about it and purposely given those names to their child, just because they were 'cool'.

That's what I'm thinking is happening, actually.  A lot of ULs are based in fact, like the spiked Halloween candy.

And Urine and Placenta were emmigrants (immigrants?  not from the US, not English speaking).

Her story about Urine was that the baby was very sick and in the NICU.  They had to save all urine, so there was a form that the parents saw that said "save all urine".  They thought the hospital had named the baby already, so they filled out the BC with Urine as the first name.

Unfortunately, getting documentation of all of this is NOT going to happen since it's a hospital and with all the privacy laws & everything, it's impossible.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #17151 on: January 23, 2013, 10:59:17 AM »
I met another baby Jaxon today (pronounced Jackson) I guess the X makes it much cooler. Although I did meet one that was Jaxxon. Because a double X is even cooler than a single.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17152 on: January 23, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »
I had a Latrina, don't know if that is close enough.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #17153 on: January 23, 2013, 12:59:53 PM »

Placenta
Urine (ur-in-EE)

That's what I'm thinking is happening, actually.  A lot of ULs are based in fact, like the spiked Halloween candy.

And Urine and Placenta were emmigrants (immigrants?  not from the US, not English speaking).

Her story about Urine was that the baby was very sick and in the NICU.  They had to save all urine, so there was a form that the parents saw that said "save all urine".  They thought the hospital had named the baby already, so they filled out the BC with Urine as the first name.

Unfortunately, getting documentation of all of this is NOT going to happen since it's a hospital and with all the privacy laws & everything, it's impossible.

Sorry, but it really sounds like she's pulling your leg with that story. It's classic UL material with an undertone of racism/xenophobia. Hospital records are obviously confidential, but I'm pretty sure birth registries are public information. It shouldn't be difficult to prove that a baby was registered with a particular name in a particular state and year, but no one has managed to do so for these UL names.

I also don't think there's ever been a case of spiked Halloween candy, except when it was done deliberately by the child's own family.  :(
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #17154 on: January 23, 2013, 02:05:34 PM »

Sorry, but it really sounds like she's pulling your leg with that story. It's classic UL material with an undertone of racism/xenophobia. Hospital records are obviously confidential, but I'm pretty sure birth registries are public information. It shouldn't be difficult to prove that a baby was registered with a particular name in a particular state and year, but no one has managed to do so for these UL names.

I also don't think there's ever been a case of spiked Halloween candy, except when it was done deliberately by the child's own family.  :(

There have been several cases of spiked candy, and the individual usually gave them out to a few other kids besides their own. Only giving your own child poison is a dead giveaway, if you'll pardon the pun.  :)  The poisoned candy was well-wrapped and innocuous-looking too, IIRC, so people who check their kids' candy for unwrapped ones are looking for the wrong thing.

Getting back to baby names, Placentia is a real name - there are several towns named Placentia. It just happens to be one you shouldn't use for a baby (or misspell!).
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Catananche

« Reply #17155 on: January 23, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »

Placenta
Urine (ur-in-EE)

That's what I was trying to say: we have access to facebook, twitter, google, class lists, on-line nursery lists etc. and still no one has been able to find a trace of the children with those names.
And it's very hard to keep your chlid's name off the internet. When my children were young I was very careful about their on-line presence and their full names still ended up on-line. Once children are playing/competing in sports (even at local level) that can end up in the newspaper, their names are going to be found on-line.

Going back on topic:

The sibling set of Elvis (girl), Rover(boy), Wolf (boy)en Maantje (girl). They are Dutch and Rover is the Dutch word for robber, Maantje is the Dutch word for little moon.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #17156 on: January 23, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »

Placenta
Urine (ur-in-EE)

Like I've already said, I don't think she is (more about Urine and Placenta), but it's possible.

And, as has already been stated, spiked halloween candy has happened.

Bethczar

« Reply #17157 on: January 24, 2013, 08:13:58 PM »
I met another baby Jaxon today (pronounced Jackson) I guess the X makes it much cooler. Although I did meet one that was Jaxxon. Because a double X is even cooler than a single.
I actually like the name Jaxon. It looks cool and, more importantly, the spelling makes sense.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #17158 on: January 24, 2013, 08:19:18 PM »
I actually like the name Jaxon. It looks cool and, more importantly, the spelling makes sense.

At least "Jaxon" is pronounced how you think it should be pronounced.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

foobar

« Reply #17159 on: January 26, 2013, 01:50:38 AM »
From this funny pic http://royreid.ca/2013/01/25/evening-procrasturbation-229/royreid-ca-procrasturbation-108-32/:

La'el
Tharold

I wonder if the T in Tharold is silent. Or whether the apostrophe in La'el is purely decorative or a glottal stop.