Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1636115 times)

elephantschild

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17175 on: January 31, 2013, 10:49:35 AM »
From the complete opposite side of the "you're kidding" spectrum:

http://news.msn.com/world/icelandic-girl-wins-right-to-use-her-given-name

Some of the names mentioned in here make me roll my eyes, but "not a proper feminine name?" Seriously?
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

Ereine

« Reply #17176 on: January 31, 2013, 02:34:30 PM »
I assume that Icelandic laws for names are similar to Finnish and one rule is that the name has to be gender-appropriate. It used to be that there were only very few gender-neutral names (two in the name day calendar) but in recent years there have been a lot of new names, similar to the "gentle breeze" that are difficult to categorize. Like Tuisku (a snow flurry), is that male or female?

snowdragon

« Reply #17177 on: January 31, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »
But even recognized names can be ODD  I met a toddler today with the first and last name of Henrietta Henry. It just does not seem to be quite "right"

Rohanna

« Reply #17178 on: February 01, 2013, 12:18:32 AM »
Yeh, I'm a supporter of unusual names, but I have to admit that while a lovely latin name that apparently enjoys some use in the Hispanic community- as a medical person I cringed at the thought of calling a daughter Candida. I saw it on a tv show credits and just thought....no, not for me.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Xandraea

« Reply #17179 on: February 01, 2013, 09:14:33 AM »
Yeh, I'm a supporter of unusual names, but I have to admit that while a lovely latin name that apparently enjoys some use in the Hispanic community- as a medical person I cringed at the thought of calling a daughter Candida. I saw it on a tv show credits and just thought....no, not for me.

I don't know the history of this name, and truly mean no offense to anyone, but to me it sounds like a brand of dog/cat food.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #17180 on: February 01, 2013, 09:20:31 AM »

I don't know the history of this name, and truly mean no offense to anyone, but to me it sounds like a brand of dog/cat food.

Species of yeast.....Mom was a math & science teacher when I was growing up then worked in a research lab - before that, she worked in a water treatment plant's testing lab (I was four or five - I don't remember job titles that far back).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #17181 on: February 01, 2013, 10:27:33 AM »

I wonder if it hails from the Spanish tradition of naming girls, not Maria because it's too sacred a name, but one of the attributes associated with the Virgin Mary, hence Conception*, Dolores, etc.  I once had a Spanish student whose mother was named Immaculada –nicknamed Cula.  ???

*I don't speak Spanish.  I apologize if I missed an accent somewhere.

Rohanna

« Reply #17182 on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:05 AM »
It's specifically a yeast that commonly infects ones lady-parts.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #17183 on: February 01, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »
But even recognized names can be ODD  I met a toddler today with the first and last name of Henrietta Henry. It just does not seem to be quite "right"

I went to school with a Larry Lawrence.

Yes, from that town in Kansas. He seemed quite pleased with the name.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

squeakers

« Reply #17184 on: February 01, 2013, 07:18:42 PM »
It's specifically a yeast that commonly infects ones lady-parts.

Or babies mouths.  Candida means "white" or "pure". There were several saints that used Candida as their name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candida_(given_name)
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Rohanna

« Reply #17185 on: February 02, 2013, 01:25:49 AM »
Yeh I know it's very "legit" name, but it still makes me ... Itchy   :o

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #17186 on: February 03, 2013, 12:06:27 PM »
I'm not 100% sure this was this kid's name, since I only saw it on the roll sheet, and did not actually call roll: K-Knowledge. But it was followed by a last name.

BB-VA

« Reply #17187 on: February 03, 2013, 12:47:41 PM »
Did Tony Orlando sing in vain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1cfigorslk

PS.  I felt kind of itchy when this song first came out - and that was a LONG time ago.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

katiescarlett

« Reply #17188 on: February 03, 2013, 03:38:26 PM »
Just saw one on facebook.  Chloey.  I love the name, think it is beautiful, and would not be against using it for a daughter.  HOWEVER, what is wrong with spelling it Chloe?  I don't particularly like it spelled with a K, either, but the y is all wrong to me.

MayHug

« Reply #17189 on: February 05, 2013, 04:18:33 PM »
I saw one today that made me go hmmmmm. One was a boy named Aksel (Axel I'm assuming).