Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1872302 times)

squeakers

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17205 on: February 12, 2013, 07:17:59 PM »
All I can say is that I'm now happier than ever that I ended up with a very common name - Sara. :) Granted, I do have what many consider to be the alternative spelling, but that just makes it so I'm sure to tell people who will be writing/typing my name out, "Sara, no H." :P However, I've noticed that apparently the "alternative" spelling as become so commonplace that many people will ask if there's an H or not before I even get to the "no H" part. :)

So your name is Saranoaitch?

*runs away laughing.. stops.. and figures someday there will be a child named that somewhere.*
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17206 on: February 12, 2013, 08:10:48 PM »
All I can say is that I'm now happier than ever that I ended up with a very common name - Sara. :) Granted, I do have what many consider to be the alternative spelling, but that just makes it so I'm sure to tell people who will be writing/typing my name out, "Sara, no H." :P However, I've noticed that apparently the "alternative" spelling as become so commonplace that many people will ask if there's an H or not before I even get to the "no H" part. :)

*runs away laughing.. stops.. and figures someday there will be a child named that somewhere.*

>.< Squeakers, what have you done? Someday someone will put in "weird and odd baby names" or something in google, this thread will pop up, someone will see that and go "ooh pretty!" And it will be your fault this name was unleashed onto the world. *nods*

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17207 on: February 13, 2013, 02:04:36 PM »

"I name you ... Esmeralda Margaret Note Spelling of Lancre!"

-- (Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum)
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

snowdragon

« Reply #17208 on: February 18, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »
I met a little girl today named Dejeuner - if I remember my French correctly the child was named "lunch". 

sigh.

DynoMite

« Reply #17209 on: February 18, 2013, 10:17:22 PM »
I met a little girl today named Dejeuner - if I remember my French correctly the child was named "lunch". 

sigh.

:o

Addy

« Reply #17210 on: February 20, 2013, 03:36:42 AM »

sigh.

Wow, this opens up a whole new world of baby names. How about Fenetre or Cheval?  >:D

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17211 on: February 20, 2013, 05:04:55 AM »
I once had a student –a little boy from a Western African country– with the name Dieuveil (dee-uh-vay-ee.  Hard to transcribe it.) which means "God watches" in French but I had never seen nor heard of that name before.

I used to know a Dieudonne. I wonder how common it is in West Africa to have similar names?
NE England

Anniissa

« Reply #17212 on: February 20, 2013, 07:24:41 AM »
I once had a student –a little boy from a Western African country– with the name Dieuveil (dee-uh-vay-ee.  Hard to transcribe it.) which means "God watches" in French but I had never seen nor heard of that name before.

I used to know a Dieudonne. I wonder how common it is in West Africa to have similar names?

I have been working on something involving going through long lists of Nigerian citizens and there are a large number of names such as Godswill, Godsgift, Godslove, Godspower and even a Godknows so I would imagine it is quite likely a relatively common thing.

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #17213 on: February 20, 2013, 09:37:29 AM »
Saw the name Amazingrace today.  Poor kid.  I bet she was mortified when the show "Amazing Race" came out.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #17214 on: February 20, 2013, 06:58:52 PM »

The American version of Dieudonne is "Theodore" or "Dorothy." But many Americans would be surprised to be told that there had been a president named "God's gift."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #17215 on: February 21, 2013, 12:09:57 AM »
Someone named Armynthe showed up in my family tree. She apparently went by Mattie.

Now we've got Armynthe, Amphelady, and three Asenaths (different families and generations).
At least Asenath is a real name, even if a rather horrid one.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17216 on: February 21, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »

The American version of Dieudonne is "Theodore" or "Dorothy." But many Americans would be surprised to be told that there had been a president named "God's gift."

Theodore is more correctly Greek ;)

I once had to explain that Amadeus, Theophilus and Gottlieb all mean the same thing (Loving God in pseudo Latin, Greek and German) and that Mozart used all these forms in his life time, in different times and places. Worse of all, Amadeus started out as a joke and the version in his baptism record is actually Theophilus.

I decided to skip over Johann Chrysostomus, his other two baptismal names.

Betelnut

« Reply #17217 on: February 21, 2013, 01:33:57 PM »
This week's birth announcements in Southern Maryland--nothing too out there.  Just a few interesting ones:

Riley Jo for a girl.  Not bad at all--actually quite cute but her brother is Ryan.  The rhyming/cutsie name combo is annoying (to me).  I do love Jo for a middle name.

Ariah Jeree.

Landynn Michael--boy.  Strange almost girly spelling of Landon.  Coincidentally, there was also a Landon.

Jaxson Gabriel.  I've seen Jaxon and Jackson (of course) but not Jaxson.

Poor Dion Marvin has three brothers listed as Dominic, Deijay and Drake.  Four "D" names.  I just wonder why people do that...
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #17218 on: February 21, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »
SIL wanted to name her son Mason, which is a cute name. The problem is her last name. Poor kid would have been: Mason Dixon.

And she saw nothing wrong with it, and didn't understand why people laughed when they heard it.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

daen

« Reply #17219 on: February 21, 2013, 03:19:28 PM »
My older sister lives in a community that specializes in invented names, but I have to say that Roshonna (Ro-SHAW-na) and LaVissa don't seem all that bad.

My cousin's brother-in-law and wife have named their four girls "J" names - similiar to Jakaya & Jaleesia. They were chosen/invented/constructed to have religious significance, if I understand correctly, and the parents will explain the reasoning if you ask them. Probably excellent reasoning, too, but still...

I haven't seen any wildly youneek names in my neck of the woods, but there are a few that make me privately roll my eyes: Gypsy (male), Cerulean (female), and Koi (male).  How could the parents not realize that they were naming their son after a goldfish?