Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1650999 times)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17220 on: February 21, 2013, 12:09:57 AM »
Someone named Armynthe showed up in my family tree. She apparently went by Mattie.

Now we've got Armynthe, Amphelady, and three Asenaths (different families and generations).
At least Asenath is a real name, even if a rather horrid one.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17221 on: February 21, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »

I used to know a Dieudonne. I wonder how common it is in West Africa to have similar names?

The American version of Dieudonne is "Theodore" or "Dorothy." But many Americans would be surprised to be told that there had been a president named "God's gift."

Theodore is more correctly Greek ;)

I once had to explain that Amadeus, Theophilus and Gottlieb all mean the same thing (Loving God in pseudo Latin, Greek and German) and that Mozart used all these forms in his life time, in different times and places. Worse of all, Amadeus started out as a joke and the version in his baptism record is actually Theophilus.

I decided to skip over Johann Chrysostomus, his other two baptismal names.

Betelnut

« Reply #17222 on: February 21, 2013, 01:33:57 PM »
This week's birth announcements in Southern Maryland--nothing too out there.  Just a few interesting ones:

Riley Jo for a girl.  Not bad at all--actually quite cute but her brother is Ryan.  The rhyming/cutsie name combo is annoying (to me).  I do love Jo for a middle name.

Ariah Jeree.

Landynn Michael--boy.  Strange almost girly spelling of Landon.  Coincidentally, there was also a Landon.

Jaxson Gabriel.  I've seen Jaxon and Jackson (of course) but not Jaxson.

Poor Dion Marvin has three brothers listed as Dominic, Deijay and Drake.  Four "D" names.  I just wonder why people do that...
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #17223 on: February 21, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »
SIL wanted to name her son Mason, which is a cute name. The problem is her last name. Poor kid would have been: Mason Dixon.

And she saw nothing wrong with it, and didn't understand why people laughed when they heard it.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

daen

« Reply #17224 on: February 21, 2013, 03:19:28 PM »
My older sister lives in a community that specializes in invented names, but I have to say that Roshonna (Ro-SHAW-na) and LaVissa don't seem all that bad.

My cousin's brother-in-law and wife have named their four girls "J" names - similiar to Jakaya & Jaleesia. They were chosen/invented/constructed to have religious significance, if I understand correctly, and the parents will explain the reasoning if you ask them. Probably excellent reasoning, too, but still...

I haven't seen any wildly youneek names in my neck of the woods, but there are a few that make me privately roll my eyes: Gypsy (male), Cerulean (female), and Koi (male).  How could the parents not realize that they were naming their son after a goldfish?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17225 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:50 PM »
Gypsy (male), Cerulean (female), and Koi (male).  How could the parents not realize that they were naming their son after a goldfish?

At least it's a *fancy* goldfish...
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #17226 on: February 21, 2013, 06:41:03 PM »
Riley Jo for a girl.  Not bad at all--actually quite cute but her brother is Ryan.  The rhyming/cutsie name combo is annoying (to me).  I do love Jo for a middle name.

Me too. It's mine.  :)

Cerulean (female)

I like this.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Betelnut

« Reply #17227 on: February 21, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »

Me too. It's mine.  :)

My sister's too!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #17228 on: February 21, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »
My mother likes to name people.  Her brother, Carl, had a daughter who married a man named Carl.  My mother decided that her brother's name is now Carlio.  I remember the first time I heard her mention "Carlio" and I wondered to whom she was referring.  My cousin's husband died 5 years ago, but my mother still calls her brother by the name she made up.  When I was growing up, one of our neighbors had a son named Jack.  My mother decided to call him "Jackson."  It wasn't his name and he didn't answer to it.  That didn't stop her.  These are just 2 examples of her lifelong habit.

I've often wondered if the people my mother rechristens resent her for not using their names.  I think I found out the answer.  My mother named me a rather common name with a you-neek spelling.  If the common name were Kitty, she named me "Kity."  All my life I have had to correct the spelling of my name.  It's a curse.  While Kity is still my legal name, I go by a nickname that is completely different.  Everyone but my mother calls me by my nickname.  Recently, I noticed that her family addresses me as "Kitty."  The holiday cards from that side of the family this year were addressed to "Kitty."

Personally, I think my mother's family is getting back at her for changing all their names by changing my name since I am the only one she named.  I don't see them often; It's been at least 20 years, so I don't think I've done anything to offend them.  I haven't answered to "Kity" for over 40 years and I never answered to "Kitty."
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Perfect Circle

• The followers of chaos, out of control
« Reply #17229 on: February 22, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
My mother is one of seven children and they all have R names. And my parents have three daughters and our names all rhyme.  Which is a bit amusing really.
In all this talk of time
Talk is fine
But I don't want to stay around
Why can't we pantomime, just close our eyes
And sleep sweet dreams
Me and you with wings on our feet

Ereine

« Reply #17230 on: February 22, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »
My grandmother's family had maybe five daughters, all with the initials H and E. They also had two sons, one of whom only had one name which seemed strangest to me (if all your other six children have middle names, shouldn't the seventh have one too? I don't think that he was the oldest).

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #17231 on: February 22, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »
There was a baby Prometheus born here this month according to the hospital website.

RedRuby

« Reply #17232 on: February 22, 2013, 02:05:38 PM »
SIL wanted to name her son Mason, which is a cute name. The problem is her last name. Poor kid would have been: Mason Dixon.

And she saw nothing wrong with it, and didn't understand why people laughed when they heard it.

Oh, no! Please tell me she didn't go through with it!

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #17233 on: February 22, 2013, 07:03:59 PM »

Oh, no! Please tell me she didn't go through with it!

Thankfully she didn't. They ended up naming nephew for his Dad. Though she still doesn't see what the problem would have been
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

BB-VA

« Reply #17234 on: February 23, 2013, 06:03:45 AM »
This is a real name, and I am not sure if it is one of the coolest or one of the strangest I have heard.  She is the daughter of a magician of the vaudeville era, The Amazing Ballantine, who became more famous playing one of the characters in McHale's Navy.   

Her name is Saratoga Ballantine.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"