Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1950334 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17220 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:50 PM »
Gypsy (male), Cerulean (female), and Koi (male).  How could the parents not realize that they were naming their son after a goldfish?

At least it's a *fancy* goldfish...
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #17221 on: February 21, 2013, 06:41:03 PM »
Riley Jo for a girl.  Not bad at all--actually quite cute but her brother is Ryan.  The rhyming/cutsie name combo is annoying (to me).  I do love Jo for a middle name.

Me too. It's mine.  :)

Cerulean (female)

I like this.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Betelnut

« Reply #17222 on: February 21, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »
Riley Jo for a girl.  Not bad at all--actually quite cute but her brother is Ryan.  The rhyming/cutsie name combo is annoying (to me).  I do love Jo for a middle name.

Me too. It's mine.  :)

My sister's too!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #17223 on: February 21, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »
My mother likes to name people.  Her brother, Carl, had a daughter who married a man named Carl.  My mother decided that her brother's name is now Carlio.  I remember the first time I heard her mention "Carlio" and I wondered to whom she was referring.  My cousin's husband died 5 years ago, but my mother still calls her brother by the name she made up.  When I was growing up, one of our neighbors had a son named Jack.  My mother decided to call him "Jackson."  It wasn't his name and he didn't answer to it.  That didn't stop her.  These are just 2 examples of her lifelong habit.

I've often wondered if the people my mother rechristens resent her for not using their names.  I think I found out the answer.  My mother named me a rather common name with a you-neek spelling.  If the common name were Kitty, she named me "Kity."  All my life I have had to correct the spelling of my name.  It's a curse.  While Kity is still my legal name, I go by a nickname that is completely different.  Everyone but my mother calls me by my nickname.  Recently, I noticed that her family addresses me as "Kitty."  The holiday cards from that side of the family this year were addressed to "Kitty."

Personally, I think my mother's family is getting back at her for changing all their names by changing my name since I am the only one she named.  I don't see them often; It's been at least 20 years, so I don't think I've done anything to offend them.  I haven't answered to "Kity" for over 40 years and I never answered to "Kitty."
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #17224 on: February 22, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
My mother is one of seven children and they all have R names. And my parents have three daughters and our names all rhyme.  Which is a bit amusing really.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Ereine

« Reply #17225 on: February 22, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »
My grandmother's family had maybe five daughters, all with the initials H and E. They also had two sons, one of whom only had one name which seemed strangest to me (if all your other six children have middle names, shouldn't the seventh have one too? I don't think that he was the oldest).

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #17226 on: February 22, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »
There was a baby Prometheus born here this month according to the hospital website.

RedRuby

« Reply #17227 on: February 22, 2013, 02:05:38 PM »
SIL wanted to name her son Mason, which is a cute name. The problem is her last name. Poor kid would have been: Mason Dixon.

And she saw nothing wrong with it, and didn't understand why people laughed when they heard it.

Oh, no! Please tell me she didn't go through with it!

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #17228 on: February 22, 2013, 07:03:59 PM »
SIL wanted to name her son Mason, which is a cute name. The problem is her last name. Poor kid would have been: Mason Dixon.

And she saw nothing wrong with it, and didn't understand why people laughed when they heard it.

Oh, no! Please tell me she didn't go through with it!

Thankfully she didn't. They ended up naming nephew for his Dad. Though she still doesn't see what the problem would have been
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

BB-VA

« Reply #17229 on: February 23, 2013, 06:03:45 AM »
This is a real name, and I am not sure if it is one of the coolest or one of the strangest I have heard.  She is the daughter of a magician of the vaudeville era, The Amazing Ballantine, who became more famous playing one of the characters in McHale's Navy.   

Her name is Saratoga Ballantine.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Betelnut

« Reply #17230 on: February 28, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »
Southern Maryland birth notices--not too bad this time.

There is a Lyrica Queen which isn't TOO bad but it lists her sister as:  Unique Beauty Adams.

Sigh.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17231 on: February 28, 2013, 03:17:15 PM »
Lyrica is a medical drug, though. It sounds pretty, I guess.

pwv

« Reply #17232 on: March 01, 2013, 04:26:35 AM »
yesterday's newspaper had an insert about the Kindergarten class of 2025 and what they wanted to be when they grew up.  The only unusual jobs were two ninjas and a couple of princesses and one who wanted to be 'a girl who flies a helicopter to rescue people from the water."  Some of the more interesting names/spellings:

Aireanna
Aunnah
Atlanta
Brookly
Daymyon
D'Meir
Dontezz
Jaymz
Justice
Kuper
Meadow
Meracle
Navaughn
Qwinton
Shyan
Sincere
Taunya
Texas
Zain

Carotte

« Reply #17233 on: March 01, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »
I'm starting to think that unique  spellings are probably more detrimentals in the end than made-up/re-use of a word names.
If you're named Chair people will only think it's a funny name, if you're named Aireanna people will just get frustated trying to remember how many e and y and r or whatever your parents put in there instead of Arianna.

snowdragon

« Reply #17234 on: March 01, 2013, 10:57:28 AM »

Justice
Meadow
Sincere
Zain

These are not bad - Zain is an Arabic name meaning beautiful and the others are very old fashioned but have been  used before

This

Qwinton

Makes me weep