Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1958039 times)

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17235 on: March 01, 2013, 12:13:46 PM »
Again, just because a name is posted here it's not being considered "bad," just unusual.

turtleIScream

« Reply #17236 on: March 01, 2013, 04:28:31 PM »
My MIL teaches kindergarten, and has an "interesting" collection of names on her class list. There are so many yoo-nique spellings that it barely fazed me when I saw she had an Evenlyn in her class. You know the crazy spellings are out of hand when typos aren't obvious (yes, it was a typo)
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17237 on: March 01, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
I know someone who gave their son the middle name of Danger, just so he could say, "Danger is my middle name."

That's both hilarious and brilliant.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #17238 on: March 01, 2013, 05:15:24 PM »
And tired and overdone. 

I'm in my 40's and people thought that was "cool" when I was in grade school.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17239 on: March 01, 2013, 05:24:11 PM »
And Urine and Placenta were emmigrants (immigrants?  not from the US, not English speaking).

I am reminded of a favorite book, which features a character whosemother didn't speak English at the time, and was watching TV in a US hospital after the birth. Dad was out of town, and the mother heard something on TV that sounded nice. So the kid got named Chia Pet McKenzie.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Minmom3

« Reply #17240 on: March 01, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »
Someone named Armynthe showed up in my family tree. She apparently went by Mattie.

Now we've got Armynthe, Amphelady, and three Asenaths (different families and generations).
At least Asenath is a real name, even if a rather horrid one.

One of my maternal grandfather's older sisters was an Asenath.  Don't think it was spelled quite like that, but that WAS her name.  The other three of the 5 were John (my grandfather), Frederick, and Ruth.  No idea what the eldest brother's name was, but Ruth became my mother's middle name.  Great Aunt Asenath was born in either the 1880's or 1890's.

The go-to name on the other side was Selina.  There were 4 living when I was born.  Dad put his foot down and refused to let Mom use it on me!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17241 on: March 02, 2013, 05:00:47 AM »
Someone named Armynthe showed up in my family tree. She apparently went by Mattie.

Now we've got Armynthe, Amphelady, and three Asenaths (different families and generations).

One of my maternal grandfather's older sisters was an Asenath.  Don't think it was spelled quite like that, but that WAS her name.  The other three of the 5 were John (my grandfather), Frederick, and Ruth.  No idea what the eldest brother's name was, but Ruth became my mother's middle name.  Great Aunt Asenath was born in either the 1880's or 1890's.

The go-to name on the other side was Selina.  There were 4 living when I was born.  Dad put his foot down and refused to let Mom use it on me!

I kid you not, the go to middle name in our family for baby girls is Louise. Off the top of my head I can name SIX of us with that middle name >.< and if I try reeaaaallly hard I might be able to come up with another four.

Minmom3

« Reply #17242 on: March 02, 2013, 11:32:38 PM »
Old family names hang on FOREVER...  3 of the 4 Selina's alive at my birth are now long gone, but one still lives, and another WAS born a few years after me, so 2 are still alive.  The one born a few years after me is the last, though, nobody in our generation used it on their first born girls.  I'm not close to that side of the family, so I don't know if the last Selina has a grandchild yet or not, and I don't really know the generation after me, so I don't know if that side will continue the name or not.

I had my girls in the 80's - a time of crazy spellings for normal names, and crazy names, and I decided I would go nearly plane Jane, so of course, in any class room, Brownie troop, or sports group, there were MULTIPLE Sarah's, Katy/Katie/Katee's, and Elizabeth's.  One Brownie group had 4 other Katy's AND 2 other Sarah's, and hardly any anything elses,  it was nuts...
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #17243 on: March 03, 2013, 11:43:25 AM »
 My ex had a younger half-sister named Diontae.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17244 on: March 04, 2013, 06:51:48 AM »

Asenath (spelled like that) was an Egyptian queen from the bible.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

katiescarlett

« Reply #17245 on: March 04, 2013, 10:14:41 AM »
Asenath was actually the wife of Moses, not a queen.  I just read a very interesting book about her that I found on Amazon for my kindle!  (Granted, the book itself is just fiction, and I believe her name only shows up in one verse in the Old Testament, but it was still interesting.)  Of course, there probably was also a queen named Asenath. 

I kind of like the name, it's interesting!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17246 on: March 04, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »
Sorry, not Moses but Joseph (Moses' wives were Tharbis and Zipporah) . While she barely gets a mention in the Old Testament, there is an apocryphal book of Joseph and Asenath, that tells the story in detail. In it, Joseph and Asenath end up ruling Egypt, which may be where the idea of her as an Egyptian queen comes from.

katiescarlett

« Reply #17247 on: March 04, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »
Sorry, not Moses but Joseph (Moses' wives were Tharbis and Zipporah) . While she barely gets a mention in the Old Testament, there is an apocryphal book of Joseph and Asenath, that tells the story in detail. In it, Joseph and Asenath end up ruling Egypt, which may be where the idea of her as an Egyptian queen comes from.

Yes, you are right!  I meant Joseph.  I don't know where Moses came from!  And I just read that book, too.  Plus, I am working my way through Genesis right now as I want to read the Bible all the way through in a year.  I think my brain is fried from school right now.

Thanks!

daen

« Reply #17248 on: March 04, 2013, 10:13:46 PM »
I just saw what purports to be a screenshot from some TV news program, but I'm not sure this is real.

Airwrecka.

(Please don't be real.)

snowdragon

« Reply #17249 on: March 04, 2013, 10:30:50 PM »
I just saw what purports to be a screenshot from some TV news program, but I'm not sure this is real.

Airwrecka.

(Please don't be real.)

Apparently it is...I did a google search and found someone named that on LinkedIN