Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1978244 times)

Rohanna

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17250 on: March 05, 2013, 03:48:21 PM »
Daen, do you Reddit?  8)

I found this one on there too...

http://i.imgur.com/1ri0EZs.jpg

Which led me to google him, and yep....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Negro

He's the son of that guy.

Now, Rowdy *might* just work as a name, but the combination is unfortunate.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

daen

« Reply #17251 on: March 05, 2013, 06:05:34 PM »
Daen, do you Reddit?  8)

Mostly over my husband's shoulder, but yes, I do.  ;D

Ms Airwrecka showed up on Parenting Fails, a subsection of icanhascheezburger.com as well.
I spend far too much time on cheezburger.

daen

« Reply #17252 on: March 08, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »
Came across this one yesterday - my apologies if it's been mentioned already:
Quvenzhané Wallis, actress in The Beasts of South Wild. Her mother's name is Qulyndreia, and her sister is Qunyquekya.

While I'm not sure how the latter two are pronounced, the first is kwuh-VEN-zhuh-nay.

Yikes.

Bethczar

« Reply #17253 on: March 11, 2013, 07:35:50 PM »
I'm reading a non-fiction book about the medieval queens of England. One queen had a relative with a mistress named Dangerosa. Personally, I'd be wary of sleeping with a woman named that.  :o
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:12:02 PM by Bethczar »

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #17254 on: March 12, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
A boy named Arkham in the birth announcement section of the paper. Yes, the name of the insane asylum in Batman. That poor kid...
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17255 on: March 12, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »
A boy named Arkham in the birth announcement section of the paper. Yes, the name of the insane asylum in Batman. That poor kid...

In homage to where he was conceived?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #17256 on: March 12, 2013, 10:06:27 PM »

Considering his parents weren't named Joe Kerr and Harleen Quinzel, I doubt it.  :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17257 on: March 12, 2013, 10:14:51 PM »

Considering his parents weren't named Joe Kerr and Harleen Quinzel, I doubt it.  :P

How disappointing. ;)

scotcat60

« Reply #17258 on: March 13, 2013, 09:26:30 AM »
I'm acquainted with an Isabella James Lastname -

Like Lizzie Andrew Borden?

I lnew an Elizabeth John Lastname, but John is soemtimes used as a surname.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #17259 on: March 18, 2013, 12:14:15 AM »
I'm a bit behind, so I don't know... has anybody posted this yet?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xblh12XgQ4o&feature=player_embedded  It's pretty funny, about made-up names.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #17260 on: March 18, 2013, 12:43:06 AM »

I don't think Batman when I see that name. I think H.P. Lovecraft, where the name originally came from. Batman probably borrowed the name from him. It would be kind of a cool name for the kid of a Lovecraft fan.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17261 on: March 18, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »
My mother used to joke about my grandmother not being terribly creative in naming her 7 children, as they were all named after family members and she even used the middle names of the eldest for the youngest.  For example,  one having the name of Patrick Andrew and the youngest being Andrew Johnson (made up names, naturally) The two daughters basically switched first and middle names, ie  Sandra Jean and Jane Saundra.

I don't know where she got off criticizing Grandma for using family names because I was named for a great-grandmother and an aunt.  My brother was named for our granddaddy, since he didn't have any sons, though his middle name wasn't a family name but the name of a male Irish saint. 

My oldest son's middle name is William and my youngest's first is Liam which is often a nickname off William but also a name on its own so I guess I'm just like Grandma! LOL! 

I saw back a few pages about saint names being required for Catholics for baptisms and it reminded me of a book I read last year where a woman in N. Ireland had picked a name she liked but her husband, MIL and SIL (who was her best friend before the marriage) went behind her back and had the child baptized Margaret Mary but the woman only ever referred to the girl by the name she'd wanted her to be called.   

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Coralreef

« Reply #17262 on: March 18, 2013, 10:17:04 AM »
I saw back a few pages about saint names being required for Catholics for baptisms and it reminded me of a book I read last year where a woman in N. Ireland had picked a name she liked but her husband, MIL and SIL (who was her best friend before the marriage) went behind her back and had the child baptized Margaret Mary but the woman only ever referred to the girl by the name she'd wanted her to be called.

In Catholic Québec, years ago, it was almost mandatory to have Joseph (boys) and Mary (girls) in your name.  I was the only one who didn't have Mary when I saw the registry at church.  I have NO idea why, but I was kind of glad about it when I found out. 

Babies were baptized soon after birth, even if the mother was not there or if it would have been dangerous to the baby (premies, etc).  When one of my sisters was born, my mother wanted to name her Nancy (not real names, of course) but the priest didn't like it, so he named her Lucy-Ann.  Mother didn't know for a while that Nancy was not Nancy.  And no one from the family that was there went against what the priest said. 

[/right

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17263 on: March 18, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »

In Catholic Québec, years ago, it was almost mandatory to have Joseph (boys) and Mary (girls) in your name.  I was the only one who didn't have Mary when I saw the registry at church.  I have NO idea why, but I was kind of glad about it when I found out. 

Babies were baptized soon after birth, even if the mother was not there or if it would have been dangerous to the baby (premies, etc).  When one of my sisters was born, my mother wanted to name her Nancy (not real names, of course) but the priest didn't like it, so he named her Lucy-Ann.  Mother didn't know for a while that Nancy was not Nancy.  And no one from the family that was there went against what the priest said.
So in those places, is what the priest names you at baptism your legal name?  There's no birth certificate?  Here in the US, your legal name is what's on the birth certificate.  If the priest refuses to baptize little Zaphod Beeblebrox by that name and baptizes him as 'Francis', legally he's still Zaphod.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17264 on: March 18, 2013, 03:25:57 PM »

So in those places, is what the priest names you at baptism your legal name?  There's no birth certificate?  Here in the US, your legal name is what's on the birth certificate.  If the priest refuses to baptize little Zaphod Beeblebrox by that name and baptizes him as 'Francis', legally he's still Zaphod.

For a lot of people, the baptism name is their "real" name, not what is on the birth certificate, since a religious sacrament "trumps" governmental bureaucracy.