Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1924245 times)

snowdragon

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17280 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »
there is a child in my nephew's school named Aanddersin.  They are not in my nephew's class so I am not sure if it's a boy or a girl.  but sigh.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17281 on: March 21, 2013, 01:57:36 PM »
I saw back a few pages about saint names being required for Catholics for baptisms and it reminded me of a book I read last year where a woman in N. Ireland had picked a name she liked but her husband, MIL and SIL (who was her best friend before the marriage) went behind her back and had the child baptized Margaret Mary but the woman only ever referred to the girl by the name she'd wanted her to be called.

In Catholic Québec, years ago, it was almost mandatory to have Joseph (boys) and Mary (girls) in your name.  I was the only one who didn't have Mary when I saw the registry at church.  I have NO idea why, but I was kind of glad about it when I found out. 

Babies were baptized soon after birth, even if the mother was not there or if it would have been dangerous to the baby (premies, etc).  When one of my sisters was born, my mother wanted to name her Nancy (not real names, of course) but the priest didn't like it, so he named her Lucy-Ann.  Mother didn't know for a while that Nancy was not Nancy.  And no one from the family that was there went against what the priest said.
So in those places, is what the priest names you at baptism your legal name?  There's no birth certificate?  Here in the US, your legal name is what's on the birth certificate.  If the priest refuses to baptize little Zaphod Beeblebrox by that name and baptizes him as 'Francis', legally he's still Zaphod.

For a lot of people, the baptism name is their "real" name, not what is on the birth certificate, since a religious sacrament "trumps" governmental bureaucracy.

Actually, in Québec, until 1984 (approx.), the Church documents were the legal ones.  So whatever name was on it, that was your name. 

My mother had always been called Amelia but when she got her baptism certificate (for her wedding), it was Emily, with the family name having an alternate spelling rather than the one used by her father.  She had to have all legal documents changed to fit her real name.  As I said earlier, sometimes the mother was not present when the child was baptized.  In her case, her father forgot what her mother wanted to name the baby.  To add to the fun in baptized vs. use names in my family, some of my sibblings are children of Amelia, others of Emily.  I don't know who the priest was in that parish, but he could not spell his way out of a paper bag.

When the civil code was revamped, the town/city hall birth certificate became the legal one.  The Church document was only for religious purposes, say you want a Church wedding, etc.

True.  My Dh was born in Quebec and had to get a new birth certificate when we were applying for passports about nine years ago.  His original was a "town" birth certificate, but everyone born before 1984 had to get a new one.  Before that time, it was kind of a mish-mash of municipal certificates, health-board certificates and baptismal certificates.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17282 on: March 21, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »
I was baptized in the Catholic church, in Virginia, in 79 and my parents got away with using my legal first and middle names, neither of which are saint names, so I guess the priest wasn't picky. 

Though all of my aunts and uncles on my dad's side have saint names either as the first or middle names.  I think my mother and at least one of my aunts on that side also have a saint name.  And my brother's middle name is a saint name as well. 

Hm, come to think of it, without even meaning to, we named all 3 of our boys with saint names but since the elder 2 were baptized in the Methodist church and the youngest will be baptized in the Episcopal church, it doesn't really matter.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BB-VA

« Reply #17283 on: March 22, 2013, 09:48:45 PM »
Yewneek spelling seen the other day - Kristyan.  Guess the gender and pronunciation (shown below)

Male, pronounced "Christian". 
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17284 on: March 22, 2013, 09:59:56 PM »
Yewneek spelling seen the other day - Kristyan.  Guess the gender and pronunciation (shown below)

I would pronounce it Kristy-Anne, and guess female.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #17285 on: March 22, 2013, 11:10:51 PM »
My work has two clients a father and son called Donald Duck.  Surely father (born in the 40's) must have known about the cartoon character when he called his son Donald Jr (born in the 70's)!

We also have more an one client whose first name is Christmas...and yes their birthdays are 25 Dec.

BB-VA

« Reply #17286 on: March 23, 2013, 06:07:50 AM »

I would pronounce it Kristy-Anne, and guess female.

That was what I thought too - and then this male voice came over the phone.    That was definitely a "what were his parents thinking??" moment for me.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Ereine

« Reply #17287 on: March 23, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »
I was watching a movie and in the credits there was a Mens-Sana.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17288 on: March 23, 2013, 09:41:30 AM »
I saw on fbook recently that a friend liked a photo shared by a friend that said "Thanks mom and dad for giving me a name that can't be found on any personalized items in souvenir shops!"

That's not too hard to do though.  I've only once found my name on a personalized sign for a bedroom door and Annie's not that unusual of a name.  Neither is Liam and around Christmas I was trying to find ornaments with my boys names on them.  Edward and Kevin were easy. Couldn't find Liam.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #17289 on: March 23, 2013, 11:56:25 AM »
I saw on fbook recently that a friend liked a photo shared by a friend that said "Thanks mom and dad for giving me a name that can't be found on any personalized items in souvenir shops!"

That's not too hard to do though.  I've only once found my name on a personalized sign for a bedroom door and Annie's not that unusual of a name.  Neither is Liam and around Christmas I was trying to find ornaments with my boys names on them.  Edward and Kevin were easy. Couldn't find Liam.

Use Personal Creations (personalcreations.com)  You can order an ornament with just about any theme and get it personalized.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17290 on: March 23, 2013, 12:37:38 PM »

Use Personal Creations (personalcreations.com)  You can order an ornament with just about any theme and get it personalized.
Or check malls the month before Christmas.  Usually there are kiosks that have ornaments intended for personalization.  Kind of far to come for you, but I know that Glen Burnie Mall has had one in the past.  Or buy ornaments that you think your kids will like, and personalize them yourself.  Go to Michael's or AC Moore and get a pen that will write in gold.  That's how I did mine when I was selling them.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17291 on: March 23, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »

Or check malls the month before Christmas.  Usually there are kiosks that have ornaments intended for personalization.  Kind of far to come for you, but I know that Glen Burnie Mall has had one in the past.  Or buy ornaments that you think your kids will like, and personalize them yourself.  Go to Michael's or AC Moore and get a pen that will write in gold.  That's how I did mine when I was selling them.

Well our local mall does have a kiosk that sells ornaments that they will personalize.  We actually got one for Christmas from someone at church that had a family of 5, two parents and 3 boys with each of our names written on each person.

I'm glad for things like that and wish they'd had those back in the 80's and 90's. 

Rohanna

« Reply #17292 on: March 23, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »
I have a quite unusual name, and while it wasn't on a lot of pre-made gift shop items, even as a child in the 80's there were a few places I got customized ones. I had my name written on a rice grain, a christmas ornament, and a licence plate keychain that was engraved while you waited come to mind.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Dr. F.

« Reply #17293 on: March 24, 2013, 01:46:03 PM »
I was watching a movie and in the credits there was a Mens-Sana.

I hope the middle name was Corpore-Sano.

Rohanna

« Reply #17294 on: March 24, 2013, 01:58:29 PM »
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.