Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1889091 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17310 on: March 29, 2013, 11:19:02 PM »
Not so much a baby name disaster but more of a "What?" I just remembered one of my fellow students has a son... we'll say his name is John. John is also his fathers name. She hates her son's father, and so he doesn't get called by John anymore. What does she call him? Mister.

Perhaps she is a fan of the Beany Malone series by Lenora Mattingly Weber.  Beany's son (named James William) was called "Mister" because he was an extremely polite child.

No...it was cause she hated John and couldn't change her son's name because he was already too old so she resorted to calling him Mister.

Darn.  It would have fit this site so much better if it was because of his manners. 

I have heard of other people who had their names changed as children (Gerald Ford and Newt Gingrich being two of them).  Have the laws changed that much?

No idea on that one.
In some places you have a certain amount of time to change a baby's name at no cost.  In Maryland that time is one year.  After that, you must pay a legal fee, if I understand it correctly.  Also, try telling a toddler that his name isn't Johnnie anymore, and now his name is Jason.  ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

judecat

« Reply #17311 on: March 30, 2013, 06:19:16 AM »
Newest member of my family -- Maximus middlename lastname.

Rohanna

« Reply #17312 on: March 30, 2013, 08:53:33 AM »
Max is #32 on the UK charts for boys names, so I don't think the full version of it is really all that weird (which is #200). It means "the greatest" so maybe they have big plans for kiddo ;)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #17313 on: March 30, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »
Bad names--I used to collect them just for the ... 'you gotta be kidding me' factor.  Of course, now that I work w/ hospital medical records, I see a *lot* of names that make me want to say to the parents "what were you smoking?"

But these are names from my lists of 'bad baby names' culled from newspaper birth announcements:
Shy’Mani J’Ana Shaprieka
Zyonaha Amari-Uynque (not only is she unique, but we can’t spell it)

For some reason, the girls always seemed to get the far more weird names.

Another one that made my list, not because the names were bad on their own, was because these are just *HORRIBLE* names to give to twins: Emma Elizabeth & Emily Rose (let's sentence them to a lifetime of hearing "oh, here come the M&Ms")   To be honest, I think both names are pretty, but just not for siblings, and especially not twins.

Kikki

« Reply #17314 on: April 02, 2013, 04:11:12 PM »
Here's one I just saw on Pinterest: Baleigh. ???

Bethczar

« Reply #17315 on: April 02, 2013, 05:50:12 PM »
I though that was pretty common?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #17316 on: April 02, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »

Bailey?  I see Buh-Lee, though.

Elisabunny

« Reply #17317 on: April 02, 2013, 07:44:19 PM »

Bailey?  I see Buh-Lee, though.

I see Buh-Lay.  Which leads to lots of obnoxious rock-climbing jokes.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17318 on: April 03, 2013, 12:27:12 AM »
Spotted in newspaper:

Xenuschke

um....  ???
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Library Dragon

« Reply #17319 on: April 03, 2013, 01:09:10 AM »
Before they married DS2 made DIL promise that their daughter would be named Roma. Not bad, it actually goes with the last name.

If they had twin sons...yes, you guessed it, Romulus and Remus.  Fortunately twins don't run in the family.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17320 on: April 03, 2013, 02:35:00 AM »
Birth announcement for Stephné (pronounced Stephany). <sigh>
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

judecat

« Reply #17321 on: April 03, 2013, 06:24:06 AM »
Max is #32 on the UK charts for boys names, so I don't think the full version of it is really all that weird (which is #200). It means "the greatest" so maybe they have big plans for kiddo ;)

Actually Maximus is latin for "Big".    I think they got it from a local football player who is always talking about "A Maximus Festivus" when we win a big game.
And Max can also be short for Maxwell or Maximillion.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:32:32 AM by judecat »

staceym

« Reply #17322 on: April 03, 2013, 06:59:04 AM »

Actually Maximus is latin for "Big".    I think they got it from a local football player who is always talking about "A Maximus Festivus" when we win a big game.

Funny that name was brought up - I had dinner last night with a 4 year old and his name is Max, when I asked if it was short for something; I expected Maxwell or Maximillion - nope it was short for Maximus :D 

Coralreef

« Reply #17323 on: April 03, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »
Newest member of my family -- Maximus middlename lastname.

As long as the middle name isn't Prime... Yeah, I know my Transformers stuff.

[/right

Xandraea

« Reply #17324 on: April 03, 2013, 09:32:11 AM »

Funny that name was brought up - I had dinner last night with a 4 year old and his name is Max, when I asked if it was short for something; I expected Maxwell or Maximillion - nope it was short for Maximus :D

A 20-something(?) barista at Starbucks had a nametag that said "Maximillion".  I asked if that was his real name and he said yes, he goes by Max, but a coworker had made his nametag.  I told him I liked it and he said he had never met another Maximillion, but usually Maxwell.