Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1957583 times)

geekette

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17355 on: April 14, 2013, 01:44:21 AM »
I work with a girl named Heaven.

I have...so many issues with this name.
I'd rather have Heaven than Nevaeh. I mean what's heaven backwards? Hell?

I have seen that name.  My friend from high school, Dennis, told us once that his mom wanted to change his name when he was in grade school because someone pointed out to her that it was "sinned" spelled backwards.

A girl I went to school with got teased quite a bit when someone worked out that 'Natasha' backwards read 'Ah Satan'.  Fortunately, Nat had so much sense of humor that she started coming to school wearing horns on her head until it all blew over.

Editeer

« Reply #17356 on: April 14, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
I read in the news today about a 9-year-old boy named Shjohn.

gmatoy

« Reply #17357 on: April 14, 2013, 11:29:55 PM »
Y'all are killin' me with the jokes today :)

My name is old-school but making a comeback (Victoria) .. means "winner" - huzzah!

Or "victory"  :)

Vall

« Reply #17358 on: April 15, 2013, 08:40:41 AM »

It took me a few tries pronouncing it to realize that it's probably pronounced like Sean.

Coralreef

« Reply #17359 on: April 15, 2013, 03:02:31 PM »

It took me a few tries pronouncing it to realize that it's probably pronounced like Sean.

Not being a native English speaker, I always thought that Sean was pronounced like "Seen", until a friend corrected me.  Shawn, no problem.  Sean, I still have a hard time "feeling" the sound. 

[/right

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17360 on: April 15, 2013, 03:16:59 PM »
I met a very nice lady named Jocasta today. I refrained from asking if she had a son.

Bethczar

« Reply #17361 on: April 15, 2013, 08:35:25 PM »

Not being a native English speaker, I always thought that Sean was pronounced like "Seen", until a friend corrected me.  Shawn, no problem.  Sean, I still have a hard time "feeling" the sound.
I'm a native English speaker, and I still have a problem with it. Don't even get me started on Sean Bean.  ;D

BB-VA

« Reply #17362 on: April 15, 2013, 09:20:11 PM »
I met a very nice lady named Jocasta today. I refrained from asking if she had a son.

Or was she married to a younger man.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Nibsey

« Reply #17363 on: April 17, 2013, 09:00:13 AM »

That's because it's not English.  ;D It's the Irish version of the french Jean (John) because in the Irish language there is no J.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Calistoga

« Reply #17364 on: April 17, 2013, 11:21:38 AM »
The name Sean bugs me on Sean Bean. Either you are Seen Bean or you are Shawn Bawn. You can't have it both ways sir.

I went to the Dr on monday, and the girl sitting across the way from me in the waiting room was named... Latrine.

You miss...are named after a toilet.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17365 on: April 17, 2013, 12:28:45 PM »
"Such an unusual name, Latrine, how did your family come by it?"
"We changed it in the 9th century."
"You changed your name TO Latrine?"
"Yeah! Used to be S***thouse!"
"Good change! That's a good change!"

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mal

« Reply #17366 on: April 17, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »
I can't tell the real name, but a couple I'm aquainted with - German, decidedly caucasian features - gave their kid two names of Manga heroines. Very Japanese names that will never be pronounced correctly in German phonetics. Incidentally, the first of these names, if pronounced as written, is also the name of a well-known brand of laundry detergent, which will make life considerably difficult once the kid goes to school :/

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17367 on: April 17, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
Sounds like my DH.  He loves anime, and if our first child had been a girl he wanted to name her Mai Kurumi.  Now all I could think of was "M-M-M My Kurumi!"

Also he's got the all American guy look- stocky, blond, blue eyed, both of us fair skinned, all our kids are fair skinned and blond, or at least they were when they were little, the hair of the older two is turning brown but the littlest is still blonde.

Course we had boys so we didn't have to use that name anyway but I did talk him out of it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Betelnut

« Reply #17368 on: April 17, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »
Report from Southern Maryland's birth announcements (which include the names of the brothers and sisters of the new child):

Nothing TOO shocking just a few unusual ones:

Maybree Sophia (girl):  interesting first name.

Daija LaSharon (girl) has a brother, Daszeron and a sister, Rah'Shia.

Shakira Tyona (girl)--not too unusual of a name but her sisters are: Serenity, Shakyla and Sharia.  Shakyla and Sharia seem just too close to Shakira.  I guess they could be called Kira, Kyla and Kira but still...

Khelanh Devauntey (boy).  How to pronounce?

Jackson Pietra (boy)--not too bad but sisters are: Ferris and Finley.  Those are two boys names, to me.  And Ferris is barely a name.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

ClaireC79

« Reply #17369 on: April 17, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »
Apparently Finley as a girls name is in the top 40 UK girls names so far this year - definitely not around my area, I come across far more than my fair share of babies and while we have a few male Finley's this year, no girls