Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1645942 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17370 on: April 17, 2013, 12:28:45 PM »
"Such an unusual name, Latrine, how did your family come by it?"
"We changed it in the 9th century."
"You changed your name TO Latrine?"
"Yeah! Used to be S***thouse!"
"Good change! That's a good change!"

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Melle

« Reply #17371 on: April 17, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »
I can't tell the real name, but a couple I'm aquainted with - German, decidedly caucasian features - gave their kid two names of Manga heroines. Very Japanese names that will never be pronounced correctly in German phonetics. Incidentally, the first of these names, if pronounced as written, is also the name of a well-known brand of laundry detergent, which will make life considerably difficult once the kid goes to school :/

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17372 on: April 17, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
Sounds like my DH.  He loves anime, and if our first child had been a girl he wanted to name her Mai Kurumi.  Now all I could think of was "M-M-M My Kurumi!"

Also he's got the all American guy look- stocky, blond, blue eyed, both of us fair skinned, all our kids are fair skinned and blond, or at least they were when they were little, the hair of the older two is turning brown but the littlest is still blonde.

Course we had boys so we didn't have to use that name anyway but I did talk him out of it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Betelnut

« Reply #17373 on: April 17, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »
Report from Southern Maryland's birth announcements (which include the names of the brothers and sisters of the new child):

Nothing TOO shocking just a few unusual ones:

Maybree Sophia (girl):  interesting first name.

Daija LaSharon (girl) has a brother, Daszeron and a sister, Rah'Shia.

Shakira Tyona (girl)--not too unusual of a name but her sisters are: Serenity, Shakyla and Sharia.  Shakyla and Sharia seem just too close to Shakira.  I guess they could be called Kira, Kyla and Kira but still...

Khelanh Devauntey (boy).  How to pronounce?

Jackson Pietra (boy)--not too bad but sisters are: Ferris and Finley.  Those are two boys names, to me.  And Ferris is barely a name.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

ClaireC79

« Reply #17374 on: April 17, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »
Apparently Finley as a girls name is in the top 40 UK girls names so far this year - definitely not around my area, I come across far more than my fair share of babies and while we have a few male Finley's this year, no girls

Coralreef

« Reply #17375 on: April 17, 2013, 02:24:45 PM »
The name Sean bugs me on Sean Bean. Either you are Seen Bean or you are Shawn Bawn. You can't have it both ways sir.

I went to the Dr on monday, and the girl sitting across the way from me in the waiting room was named... Latrine.

You miss...are named after a toilet.

Reminds me of a House Hunter episode.  One of the ladies was named Latrina.  Maybe not as bad, but poor child!

[/right

Coralreef

« Reply #17376 on: April 17, 2013, 02:28:01 PM »
I can't tell the real name, but a couple I'm aquainted with - German, decidedly caucasian features - gave their kid two names of Manga heroines. Very Japanese names that will never be pronounced correctly in German phonetics. Incidentally, the first of these names, if pronounced as written, is also the name of a well-known brand of laundry detergent, which will make life considerably difficult once the kid goes to school :/

A couple I know gave their two kids Japanese names. The names are beautiful, no objections there, but they get a lot of comments as she's Haitian, he's French Canadian.  I guess the world is getting smaller every day.  Beautiful, gorgeous kids by the way. 

[/right

Betelnut

« Reply #17377 on: April 17, 2013, 03:26:29 PM »
Apparently Finley as a girls name is in the top 40 UK girls names so far this year - definitely not around my area, I come across far more than my fair share of babies and while we have a few male Finley's this year, no girls

That's interesting!  The only Finley I've ever known was male.

Betelnut

« Reply #17378 on: April 17, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »

That's interesting!  The only Finley I've ever known was male.

USAGE: Irish, Scottish, English

Meaning & History

Anglicized form of FIONNLAGH

VARIANTS: Finlay, Fionnlagh (Irish), Finlay, Fionnlagh (Scottish)

Popularity

United States

ranked #510 for boys
 ranked #364 for girls

England/Wales

ranked #35 for boys

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17379 on: April 18, 2013, 01:03:46 AM »
Jackson Pietra (boy)--not too bad but sisters are: Ferris and Finley.  Those are two boys names, to me.  And Ferris is barely a name.
Ferris Bueller would object to that.   ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Betelnut

« Reply #17380 on: April 18, 2013, 09:16:54 AM »
Ferris Bueller would object to that.   ;D

If he were a real person, I suppose he would.  But he's not.

lilfox

« Reply #17381 on: April 18, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »
Khelanh Devauntey (boy).  How to pronounce?

By violating what we generally believe about American English vowel sounds.   :)  My guess is "CAY-lan De-von-TAY", which actually flows pretty well, IMHO.  If that's not it, then you got me!

dawnfire

« Reply #17382 on: April 20, 2013, 08:56:08 PM »

;D  I thought of that too
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:58:10 PM by dawnfire »

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17383 on: April 20, 2013, 09:02:14 PM »

;D  I thought of that too

Although it's not the name of a human being, this reminds me of my childhood when dime stores used to carry a 'perfume' named Blue Waltz (I think) and it said under the name "Toilette Water".   As kids we're like   :o   "EWWWWWW!"

squeakers

« Reply #17384 on: April 21, 2013, 12:25:52 AM »
The name Sean bugs me on Sean Bean. Either you are Seen Bean or you are Shawn Bawn. You can't have it both ways sir.

I went to the Dr on monday, and the girl sitting across the way from me in the waiting room was named... Latrine.

You miss...are named after a toilet.

I guess John is too.  We won't talk about D!ck, Willy or Harry.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin