Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1832175 times)

Browyn

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17385 on: April 22, 2013, 09:36:54 AM »
The name Sean bugs me on Sean Bean. Either you are Seen Bean or you are Shawn Bawn. You can't have it both ways sir.

I went to the Dr on monday, and the girl sitting across the way from me in the waiting room was named... Latrine.

You miss...are named after a toilet.

I guess John is too.  We won't talk about D!ck, Willy or Harry.

A former coworker told me that her hs principal's name was Richard Head.   Coworker was in her late 50's early 60's at the time (2008) so I'm hoping that Richard Head's parents were either naive or that nickname for Richard didn't exist yet.
Fraid not.  That nickname (if you're thinking about the one that the filter translates as 'wingadingdingy') goes back several hundred years.

My late Dad was born in 1923 and had that nickname (remember 'wingadingdingy' Tracey was popular as well as the actor 'wingadingdingy' Van Dyke).
I suspect the connection to a part of the male anatomy may have happened later.

turtleIScream

« Reply #17386 on: April 22, 2013, 12:54:58 PM »
The name Sean bugs me on Sean Bean. Either you are Seen Bean or you are Shawn Bawn. You can't have it both ways sir.

I went to the Dr on monday, and the girl sitting across the way from me in the waiting room was named... Latrine.

You miss...are named after a toilet.

I guess John is too.  We won't talk about D!ck, Willy or Harry.

A former coworker told me that her hs principal's name was Richard Head.   Coworker was in her late 50's early 60's at the time (2008) so I'm hoping that Richard Head's parents were either naive or that nickname for Richard didn't exist yet.
Fraid not.  That nickname (if you're thinking about the one that the filter translates as 'wingadingdingy') goes back several hundred years.

My late Dad was born in 1923 and had that nickname (remember 'wingadingdingy' Tracey was popular as well as the actor 'wingadingdingy' Van Dyke).
I suspect the connection to a part of the male anatomy may have happened later.

In Jane Austen's Persuasion, Richard Musgrove was referred to as having lived up to his nickname. I'm pretty sure it's had negative connotations for awhile.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17387 on: May 04, 2013, 01:54:06 AM »
I just saw one on a blog that makes fun of parent overshare. Summer-Sunshine

Summer. Okay.

Sunshine, not crazy about it but I guess whatever floats your boat.

But Summer-Sunshine!? I just... what?

gmatoy

« Reply #17388 on: May 04, 2013, 02:45:57 AM »
Before they married DS2 made DIL promise that their daughter would be named Roma. Not bad, it actually goes with the last name.

If they had twin sons...yes, you guessed it, Romulus and Remus.  Fortunately twins don't run in the family.

I actually have a cousin named Roma Rose.
To tell on myself, when I first met her, I thought her name was really funny. The reason? I just thought  "Aroma Rose." (I was a teenager and she was an adult. I was on a family trip, meeting relatives for the first time.)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #17389 on: May 04, 2013, 09:00:41 PM »
I met a very nice lady named Jocasta today. I refrained from asking if she had a son.

Or was she married to a younger man.

As her second husband......
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Betelnut

« Reply #17390 on: May 15, 2013, 06:39:03 PM »
Southern Maryland birth announcements for today:

Nothing too radical except for this:

Baby Gianna has sisters named:

Jzabrielle
Jzayla

:-\
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17391 on: May 15, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »
Southern Maryland birth announcements for today:

Nothing too radical except for this:

Baby Gianna has sisters named:

Jzabrielle
Jzayla

:-\

how do you even pronounce those?

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #17392 on: May 15, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »
Jzunk.

Jones

« Reply #17393 on: May 15, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »
A 20-something(?) barista at Starbucks had a nametag that said "Maximillion".  I asked if that was his real name and he said yes, he goes by Max, but a coworker had made his nametag.  I told him I liked it and he said he had never met another Maximillion, but usually Maxwell.
Next time you run into him, you can let him know there's at least one other; a guy I attended school with, with whom I shared my first boy-girl dance. He'd be about 30 now. Maximillion is a very nice name, in cursive with little doodle hearts on pale colored note paper. Though I had a hard time with the "x".

I just saw one on a blog that makes fun of parent overshare. Summer-Sunshine

Summer. Okay.

Sunshine, not crazy about it but I guess whatever floats your boat.

But Summer-Sunshine!? I just... what?

Recent baby announcements in my area had a new baby with a normal name, but her mother's name was Spring Dae. I like it; might give Sunny Day (Scrubs fans?) a run for her money if I ever have another daughter.  >:D

Kaesha

« Reply #17394 on: May 16, 2013, 02:02:13 AM »
At the hospital where I used to work, we had a doctor named 'Wendy Day,' and when she was paged, it sounded an awful lot like 'Windy Day.'
Living in Colorado but missing Oregon...
When the butterfly emerges, does the caterpillar cease to exist?

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #17395 on: May 16, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »
My younger DD went to a day care/pre school for 5 years and some of the names that kids were given just made me shake my head...Imohtep (nothing inspires great things like being names after an evil zombie), numerous Neveah's, Diamoned, Jade, Emerald,  a little girl the mother only allowed people to call ButtButt ( :o :o) Asia, India, Jaoquain, and some that I could NEVER pronounce.  One teacher, after trying 3 times to pronounce a new child's name with no success yelled "Whatever happened to Mary and Bob????" I have a neighbor whose sone is names YaYa.   And when people give their daughters 'stripper' names, I feel bad for the girls because it is hard to overcome people's preconceived notions over a name.  My younger DD has an unusual middle name, and I was shocked to come across it in the girls section of a baby name book, but we went with it because she has a normal (old fashioned is what people call it) first name, it was a name we would have used with a slightly different spelling if we were having a boy, and the meaning attached to it was perfect for the reason we wanted to use the name.  Oh, and my step niece has a son names Skyler, which I always thought was a girls name.

Coralreef

« Reply #17396 on: May 16, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »
Actually Imohtep was an architect for one of the Pharahos.  Can't remember which one.

Maximillion : over here, we have a lotery with that name.

[/right

heartmug

« Reply #17397 on: May 16, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »

A 20-something(?) barista at Starbucks had a nametag that said "Maximillion".  I asked if that was his real name and he said yes, he goes by Max, but a coworker had made his nametag.  I told him I liked it and he said he had never met another Maximillion, but usually Maxwell.
Next time you run into him, you can let him know there's at least one other; a guy I attended school with, with whom I shared my first boy-girl dance. He'd be about 30 now. Maximillion is a very nice name, in cursive with little doodle hearts on pale colored note paper. Though I had a hard time with the "x".

[/quote]

Ran into an old friend whose dd had a baby within the last 2 months.  His name is Maximus.  I repeated it "Maximus?"  and she said yes.  I smiled and said congratulations but I was thinking I sure hope they call him Max.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:30:31 PM by heartmug »
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17398 on: May 16, 2013, 02:40:36 PM »
Apparently Finley as a girls name is in the top 40 UK girls names so far this year - definitely not around my area, I come across far more than my fair share of babies and while we have a few male Finley's this year, no girls

That's interesting!  The only Finley I've ever known was male.

Aside from Sam Axe's alter ego Chuck Finley (on Burn Notice), the only Finley (first name) I know is a little girl.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17399 on: May 16, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
I had an experience that I had to share, and it works so well for this thread.

Last week i was visiting a friend, her husband, her husband's parents and her parents. My dear friend is utterly, obscenely pregnant. (seriously, the fact that she walks amazes even her. This has little to do with the story, except it give you a more accurate picture.) She and her husband have decided to name the child Rodrick Ari. Which i think is kinda nice. But her parents want the baby named "Arnold Micheal" and his want it named "Charles Dyke"

But she and her husband are agreed on the name. And so, among the arguements (LOUD arguements.) she suddenly stood up, picking up her husband's cane and waved it at all assembled, announcing. "If you don't all give this up, so help me, I'll name the baby Baelfire!"

Now her husband really does want to name the baby Baelfire.

And this is why several of my friends have elected to keep the baby's name a secret until birth. Gender might be revealed, but not name.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture