Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1837641 times)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17400 on: May 16, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »
Jzabrielle
Jzayla

I am guessing the first part is pronounced like Zsa Zsa Gabor is pronounced, almost like a shushing sound.  I kinda like the sound of Jzayla, though I wouldn't name my child that (I named her Sasha).  :)

menley

« Reply #17401 on: May 16, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »
Jzabrielle
Jzayla

I am guessing the first part is pronounced like Zsa Zsa Gabor is pronounced, almost like a shushing sound.  I kinda like the sound of Jzayla, though I wouldn't name my child that (I named her Sasha).  :)

But the "Zs" in Zsa Zsa is part of the Hungarian alphabet... it's an actual letter. Is there a language where Jz is a letter?? (seriously asking, not snarking. I'm so confused by these names!)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #17402 on: May 16, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »
I was floored by the snark  I got over my DD's middle name ..made the mistake of telling people we had finally came up with a name.  My former boss and my step mother were the absolute worse.  I have had friends name their kids some interesting names but kept my mouth shut, but pick the name Abigail Kevyn and holy cow, the birds started chirping!  I picked it because a) it was in a baby name book under female names b)  it would be a middle name so not always used (unless I was very angry  ;D)
and c) 10 months before my DD was born, we lost my sweet wonderful nephew Kevin very suddenly and much too young.  The name means peace, and I thought it was appropriate.  Considering some of the names of classmates of my kids, Kevyn is extremely normal!

menley

« Reply #17403 on: May 16, 2013, 05:18:44 PM »
I was floored by the snark  I got over my DD's middle name ..made the mistake of telling people we had finally came up with a name.  My former boss and my step mother were the absolute worse.  I have had friends name their kids some interesting names but kept my mouth shut, but pick the name Abigail Kevyn and holy cow, the birds started chirping!  I picked it because a) it was in a baby name book under female names b)  it would be a middle name so not always used (unless I was very angry  ;D)
and c) 10 months before my DD was born, we lost my sweet wonderful nephew Kevin very suddenly and much too young.  The name means peace, and I thought it was appropriate.  Considering some of the names of classmates of my kids, Kevyn is extremely normal!

Especially with a middle name! I don't even know if my husband could tell you my middle name off the top of his head ;-)

Redwing

« Reply #17404 on: May 27, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »
Seen on Facebook-- Freedom.  I have no words.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #17405 on: May 27, 2013, 11:23:52 AM »
At the hospital where I used to work, we had a doctor named 'Wendy Day,' and when she was paged, it sounded an awful lot like 'Windy Day.'
That reminds me of a baby book name I once was reading through which would include little "here are some real people named ____" tidbits after most of the names.

So it seems there was a family named Knight who had named their daughters Wendy (windy), Daien (Day an'), and Stormy.  Seriously.

Betelnut

« Reply #17406 on: June 05, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »
Southern Maryland update:

Love Charite' -- Girl.  Yes, that's an apostrophe.
Queonna Nyimome -- (sister of a newborn).

That's all folks!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

mime

« Reply #17407 on: June 05, 2013, 12:09:22 PM »
I had an experience that I had to share, and it works so well for this thread.

Last week i was visiting a friend, her husband, her husband's parents and her parents. My dear friend is utterly, obscenely pregnant. (seriously, the fact that she walks amazes even her. This has little to do with the story, except it give you a more accurate picture.) She and her husband have decided to name the child Rodrick Ari. Which i think is kinda nice. But her parents want the baby named "Arnold Micheal" and his want it named "Charles Dyke"

But she and her husband are agreed on the name. And so, among the arguements (LOUD arguements.) she suddenly stood up, picking up her husband's cane and waved it at all assembled, announcing. "If you don't all give this up, so help me, I'll name the baby Baelfire!"

Now her husband really does want to name the baby Baelfire.

And this is why several of my friends have elected to keep the baby's name a secret until birth. Gender might be revealed, but not name.

With my first son, I chose the name Levi. This is paired with a very German last name, and the first thing my grandmother said is "that sounds too *blue faith*!" Now, our family is all *red faith*, but is it really such a bad thing to sound *blue*?  ::)

All the names suggestions that have been thrown at me for my kids (#3 due any day now) just made me want to announce 'Any further name suggestions will be permanently removed from our list of consideration. Yeah. Just to spite you.'   >:D

snowdragon

« Reply #17408 on: June 06, 2013, 11:20:53 AM »

Actually, it's a very old fashioned name, BUT, names like Liberty, Patience, Remembrance, Freedom, Deliverance, even America go back to the early days of the United 

Tea Drinker

« Reply #17409 on: June 06, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »
I had an experience that I had to share, and it works so well for this thread.

Last week i was visiting a friend, her husband, her husband's parents and her parents. My dear friend is utterly, obscenely pregnant. (seriously, the fact that she walks amazes even her. This has little to do with the story, except it give you a more accurate picture.) She and her husband have decided to name the child Rodrick Ari. Which i think is kinda nice. But her parents want the baby named "Arnold Micheal" and his want it named "Charles Dyke"

But she and her husband are agreed on the name. And so, among the arguements (LOUD arguements.) she suddenly stood up, picking up her husband's cane and waved it at all assembled, announcing. "If you don't all give this up, so help me, I'll name the baby Baelfire!"

Now her husband really does want to name the baby Baelfire.

And this is why several of my friends have elected to keep the baby's name a secret until birth. Gender might be revealed, but not name.

With my first son, I chose the name Levi. This is paired with a very German last name, and the first thing my grandmother said is "that sounds too *blue faith*!" Now, our family is all *red faith*, but is it really such a bad thing to sound *blue*?  ::)

All the names suggestions that have been thrown at me for my kids (#3 due any day now) just made me want to announce 'Any further name suggestions will be permanently removed from our list of consideration. Yeah. Just to spite you.'   >:D

That gets tricky because you're running into possible ethnic as well as religious prejudice, and because of the historical connections between different religions.

There are a very few names that say "specific religion" to me, but only a few: I would advise against naming a child Christian, Christine, or Christopher if you aren't Christian, and against Mohammed if you aren't Muslim (in both cases so a child doesn't have to keep explaining that s/he doesn't go to church, or that yes he eats pork).
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Redwing

« Reply #17410 on: June 06, 2013, 12:42:03 PM »

Actually, it's a very old fashioned name, BUT, names like Liberty, Patience, Remembrance, Freedom, Deliverance, even America go back to the early days of the United

I'm aware that it's old.  I just still think it's a terrible name no matter what era.

Rohanna

« Reply #17411 on: June 06, 2013, 05:10:59 PM »
Funny, "Chris" is so common here I really wonder how many practicing faithful even really link it to it's origins anymore :) I agree with Christian and Mohammad though- they link more strongly for me.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17412 on: June 06, 2013, 09:01:04 PM »
Funny, "Chris" is so common here I really wonder how many practicing faithful even really link it to it's origins anymore :) I agree with Christian and Mohammad though- they link more strongly for me.

Agreed. I don't connect Christopher or Christine at all with being Christian. There are a lot of names with Christian origins that are common today and don't make me think "oh, they must mean the Biblical meaning".

juanita

« Reply #17413 on: June 07, 2013, 12:44:27 AM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. A mother in New Orleans named her daughter le- a. Most people would just ignore the mark and call her Lea , Leah or lei right ? Well according to the mother it's, wait for it.............. La dash A!!! CRIVINS!!  :o :o she was mad that the child's name was mispronounced all. The. Time. She said the dash don't be silent! Sorry heard this a few years ago and I am still lmao  ;D

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17414 on: June 07, 2013, 12:57:24 AM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. A mother in New Orleans named her daughter le- a. Most people would just ignore the mark and call her Lea , Leah or lei right ? Well according to the mother it's, wait for it.............. La dash A!!! CRIVINS!!  :o :o she was mad that the child's name was mispronounced all. The. Time. She said the dash don't be silent! Sorry heard this a few years ago and I am still lmao  ;D

i think that is an urban legend