Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1830123 times)

Pen^2

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17415 on: June 07, 2013, 06:28:52 AM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. A mother in New Orleans named her daughter le- a. Most people would just ignore the mark and call her Lea , Leah or lei right ? Well according to the mother it's, wait for it.............. La dash A!!! CRIVINS!!  :o :o she was mad that the child's name was mispronounced all. The. Time. She said the dash don't be silent! Sorry heard this a few years ago and I am still lmao  ;D

i think that is an urban legend

http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp almost certainly a legend. I've heard it and dozens of minor variants. It's always an African-American mother (either stated explicitly or by stereotyped use of incorrect grammar like that above: "the dash don't be silent!" and implied with a place, e.g. the New Orleans bit). It's basically a racist urban legend which was probably made up at some point.

Today there was a woman at the supermarket whose name, according to her nametag, was 'Dog'. I really hope it's a cruel and inappropriate joke done by her coworkers, and not a parent who would have done such a thing...

juanita

« Reply #17416 on: June 07, 2013, 11:03:43 AM »
Oops sorry! I've only heard it once and thought it was funny.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17417 on: June 07, 2013, 11:27:57 AM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. A mother in New Orleans named her daughter le- a. Most people would just ignore the mark and call her Lea , Leah or lei right ? Well according to the mother it's, wait for it.............. La dash A!!! CRIVINS!!  :o :o she was mad that the child's name was mispronounced all. The. Time. She said the dash don't be silent! Sorry heard this a few years ago and I am still lmao  ;D

i think that is an urban legend

http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp almost certainly a legend. I've heard it and dozens of minor variants. It's always an African-American mother (either stated explicitly or by stereotyped use of incorrect grammar like that above: "the dash don't be silent!" and implied with a place, e.g. the New Orleans bit). It's basically a racist urban legend which was probably made up at some point.

Today there was a woman at the supermarket whose name, according to her nametag, was 'Dog'. I really hope it's a cruel and inappropriate joke done by her coworkers, and not a parent who would have done such a thing...
FWIW, I was told the story by my students, who were black and ardently believed that it was true so I don't particularly see it as a racist urban legend.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #17418 on: June 07, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »
There are a very few names that say "specific religion" to me, but only a few: I would advise against naming a child Christian, Christine, or Christopher if you aren't Christian, and against Mohammed if you aren't Muslim (in both cases so a child doesn't have to keep explaining that s/he doesn't go to church, or that yes he eats pork).

My husband's name is Christian. He's an atheist, as were his parents. I don't think many people associate that name with religion at all, and I doubt anyone associates Christine or Christopher with religion.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Betelnut

« Reply #17419 on: June 07, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »
There are a very few names that say "specific religion" to me, but only a few: I would advise against naming a child Christian, Christine, or Christopher if you aren't Christian, and against Mohammed if you aren't Muslim (in both cases so a child doesn't have to keep explaining that s/he doesn't go to church, or that yes he eats pork).

My husband's name is Christian. He's an atheist, as were his parents. I don't think many people associate that name with religion at all, and I doubt anyone associates Christine or Christopher with religion.

I don't associate Christine or Christopher with religion but Christian?  Oh yeah, since that is the name of the religion.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17420 on: June 07, 2013, 07:52:23 PM »

Yeah, if somebody named their kid Chistian I would think it would be reasonable for people to make the educated guess that the parents practiced Christianity.

I don't associate Christine or Christopher with religion but Christian?  Oh yeah, since that is the name of the religion.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #17421 on: June 08, 2013, 01:02:36 AM »
Yeah, if somebody named their kid Chistian I would think it would be reasonable for people to make the educated guess that the parents practiced Christianity.

Autumn is the name of a season, but I wouldn't assume someone with that name was necessarily born in September, October, or November. Likewise, I wouldn't assume someone named June has to have been born in June or that someone named Dallas or Dakota was born in Texas or one of the Dakotas.

And plenty of non-Christian people name their offspring Mary and Joseph.

Names are often just names.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17422 on: June 08, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »

Autumn is the name of a season, but I wouldn't assume someone with that name was necessarily born in September, October, or November. Likewise, I wouldn't assume someone named June has to have been born in June or that someone named Dallas or Dakota was born in Texas or one of the Dakotas.

But it is rather jarring when people that you KNOW are pagan name their child Christian.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17423 on: June 08, 2013, 09:35:35 PM »

But it is rather jarring when people that you KNOW are pagan name their child Christian.

True. Funny story. Mom named me Christina-- means follower of God.... I don't think I got that memo. Ooops.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17424 on: June 09, 2013, 08:02:06 AM »
Okay the name's not quite "out there" but anyone I've ever known with the first name of Virginia didn't seem to like the name. 

Dh's grandmother goes by Dina (when she's  not being called Mamaw), my grandmother went by Gia or Gigi, and there's another woman I know who goes by Ann but I found out somewhat recently that it's her middle name and her first is actually Virginia.   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Arrynne

« Reply #17425 on: June 09, 2013, 04:42:54 PM »
I ran into a little boy named "Truly Blessed". His dad called him "True".

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17426 on: June 09, 2013, 09:23:17 PM »

Like, Truly Blessed was his whole first name?

Arrynne

« Reply #17427 on: June 10, 2013, 04:45:25 AM »

Like, Truly Blessed was his whole first name?

Yes. That's how it was called out.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17428 on: June 10, 2013, 04:49:23 AM »

Why cruel and inappropriate?  When I worked fast food we had all sorts of made up names on our nametags. Maybe they're doing something silly like "put the name of your favorite animal on your nametag today!" or if it's engraved it might be the defacto "I forgot my nametag at home today " replacement. I wore one that said my name was Jason tor 4 months (I am female) because when I lost mine it was the only spare I could find. My boss thought it was funny so I was Jason for 4 months.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17429 on: June 10, 2013, 05:08:59 AM »
Okay so I can't confirm this but apparently someone named their child Pinkie Pie.... after the My Little Pony character.