Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1642401 times)

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17445 on: June 17, 2013, 09:32:12 AM »
Tsiphonie. I've only seen it written, so I'm not sure how to pronounce it. So far I've been able to come up with "kind of like Tiffany"...

It looks like a new spelling of the Greek Tsiphone, who is one of the Furies.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Addy

« Reply #17446 on: June 17, 2013, 03:41:42 PM »

Today there was a woman at the supermarket whose name, according to her nametag, was 'Dog'. I really hope it's a cruel and inappropriate joke done by her coworkers, and not a parent who would have done such a thing...

Why cruel and inappropriate?  When I worked fast food we had all sorts of made up names on our nametags. Maybe they're doing something silly like "put the name of your favorite animal on your nametag today!" or if it's engraved it might be the defacto "I forgot my nametag at home today " replacement. I wore one that said my name was Jason tor 4 months (I am female) because when I lost mine it was the only spare I could find. My boss thought it was funny so I was Jason for 4 months.

Hee hee, you reminded me of the names my friend and I had on our name tags...Shirley U. Jest and Helena Handbasket.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #17447 on: June 17, 2013, 08:12:25 PM »
I went to high school with a girl I always admired.  She was incredibly pretty, with long red hair, coppery skin and incredible brown eyes.  Her name?

Autumn.  Can't imagine a name ever suiting anyone better.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Minmom3

« Reply #17448 on: June 17, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »
There are a very few names that say "specific religion" to me, but only a few: I would advise against naming a child Christian, Christine, or Christopher if you aren't Christian, and against Mohammed if you aren't Muslim (in both cases so a child doesn't have to keep explaining that s/he doesn't go to church, or that yes he eats pork).

My husband's name is Christian. He's an atheist, as were his parents. I don't think many people associate that name with religion at all, and I doubt anyone associates Christine or Christopher with religion.

I don't associate Christine or Christopher with religion but Christian?  Oh yeah, since that is the name of the religion.

I don't think I've ever seen that name on somebody who wasn't at least culturally Christian, even if they were non-practicing or even atheist.  Such is MY experience here in the U.S.  Trying to think, but I'm pretty sure it's the same with Mohammed and being of an Islamic background, if not actively practicing.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Pen^2

« Reply #17449 on: June 18, 2013, 01:31:08 AM »
OK, so you know how some people love to give their babies exotic-sounding names or words from foreign languages? I heard an English one today: Plamorous. Somehow a P snuck in and superseded the G. Poor kid. Although it does make you wonder how many Spanish/Chinese/Russian/Maori/Na'vi Plamorouses there are wandering about...

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #17450 on: June 18, 2013, 01:55:26 AM »
I have a high school classmate who named her daughter Nori. She gave the meaning she was going with (which I canít remember now), but I kept wondering why she had named her after the seaweed common in sushi.

Or one of the dwarves in the Hobbit.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #17451 on: June 19, 2013, 12:48:57 PM »

Iím a little hesitant to post this, because if friend Googles the name sheís probably going to find it here. I canít imagine there are that many Eugene Amadeus Oscars in the land Ö not sure about the spelling. I am assuming, perhaps hastily, that the spellings are traditional. I mean Ö  I guess the names are traditional, as well, but Ö yowza. Thatís a mouthful.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17452 on: June 21, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
It's been reported that Kim Kardashian and Kanye West named their baby North making her full name......North West.  Just when I believe I can't think less of them, they always top themselves.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17453 on: June 21, 2013, 09:23:26 AM »
It's been reported that Kim Kardashian and Kanye West named their baby North making her full name......North West.  Just when I believe I can't think less of them, they always top themselves.
They could get Jack White's daughter Scarlett to babysit.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

lilfox

« Reply #17454 on: June 21, 2013, 11:18:09 AM »

You know what's funny?  When I found out that that was the real name and not a lame late night joke... I couldn't help but think how boring a name that is.  Here they had such an opportunity to go big (given the certainty of coverage of everything they do ever) and that's what they came up with?  It reaches for originality but ultimately lacks imagination and interest, IMHO.  Now if the baby's middle name was Bynorth...   ;)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #17455 on: June 21, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »

You know what's funny?  When I found out that that was the real name and not a lame late night joke... I couldn't help but think how boring a name that is.  Here they had such an opportunity to go big (given the certainty of coverage of everything they do ever) and that's what they came up with?  It reaches for originality but ultimately lacks imagination and interest, IMHO.  Now if the baby's middle name was Bynorth...   ;)

CRUD MONKEYS!.... now I need to go clean up the snorted diet coke on my keyboard.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #17456 on: June 21, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »

CRUD MONKEYS!.... now I need to go clean up the snorted diet coke on my keyboard.

And I just choked on a Dorito!  I heard this on GMA this morning and just stood in front of the TV praying there was going to be a punchline..

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #17457 on: July 01, 2013, 03:04:30 PM »
Just found a name, this is an author in a magazine I get for work:

Gypsyamber

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

snowdragon

« Reply #17458 on: July 01, 2013, 05:06:03 PM »
I met a little boy whose name is Tustin. sigh

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17459 on: July 01, 2013, 05:45:23 PM »
I met a little boy whose name is Tustin. sigh

*sighs* What the heck is wrong with Justin.... I mean its a lovely name.... why do they have to mess with it!?