Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1973514 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17475 on: July 12, 2013, 07:50:19 PM »
Also, I have coworkers named Jack and Jean.  Totally normal names, except I never want to say "Hi" to them.   :P

LOL!  Especially your friend, Jack.  And especially NOT in an airport!!

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #17476 on: July 13, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »
Just saw one on FB..friend of a friend..Otayvia

daen

« Reply #17477 on: July 13, 2013, 05:30:03 PM »
A subset of the creative spellings genre that's been alternately annoying and amusing me lately: Names that are creatively spelled to fit into a first initials scheme.  The two that come to mind are "Jinger," which I assume is "Ginger" revised to fit into a family of J names, and "Cyleigh," which I assume is pronounced "KY-lee", and spelled thus to fit in with the other C names in the family.

I'm not sure which is more annoying - forcing names to fit into a first-initials scheme (even though the spelling obscures the pronounciation), or suddenly dropping the pattern (so you have, say, James, John, Jackson, Joseph, and Noah, and Noah is left wondering why he isn't part of the group).

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17478 on: July 13, 2013, 06:09:50 PM »
A subset of the creative spellings genre that's been alternately annoying and amusing me lately: Names that are creatively spelled to fit into a first initials scheme.  The two that come to mind are "Jinger," which I assume is "Ginger" revised to fit into a family of J names, and "Cyleigh," which I assume is pronounced "KY-lee", and spelled thus to fit in with the other C names in the family.

I'm not sure which is more annoying - forcing names to fit into a first-initials scheme (even though the spelling obscures the pronounciation), or suddenly dropping the pattern (so you have, say, James, John, Jackson, Joseph, and Noah, and Noah is left wondering why he isn't part of the group).
My aunt alternated L and S, along with creeeeaytive spellling.

I always found that it was easier to have everybody with a different first initial.  That way, you can make a note on the calender "J to dr. @3" and don't have to wonder if it's James, John, Jackson, or Joseph.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

gmatoy

« Reply #17479 on: July 15, 2013, 01:10:35 AM »
I know all my crossing guard kid's names because they have them written in marker on their backpacks...smart, huh? ???

At my daughter's school, we are required to write the child's name on the backpack.

I would write it on the part that goes next to the child's back and therefore wouldn't be seen while on the child's back. I don't think you need to make it easy for strangers to read the name.

gmatoy

« Reply #17480 on: July 15, 2013, 10:20:56 PM »
Some old-fashioned names are timeless and just fine, but some are terribly outdated and would make any baby sound like an ugly old grandma. Can you imagine some poor baby girl stuck with Mildred, Hortense, or Gertrude?

I'm 35 with no children, but Mildred is on my short list should I ever have any daughters. I also kind of like Gertrude.  Both names are classic and have great nicknames: Millie and Trudy.  Hardly anyone still associates the name Millie for Barbara Bush's English Springer spaniel any more.

My Aunt Mildred was nicknamed Mickey. I was a teen-ager when I met her, so I called her "Aunt Mickey Mouse" and she liked it!

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #17481 on: July 15, 2013, 11:00:01 PM »
this is from Cracked.com, so NSFW, but still very funny

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-real-baby-names-that-wont-make-any-sense-in-few-years/

The names:

5.Khaleesi (Game of Thrones)
4. Bentley (16 and Pregnant)
3. Sookie (True Blood)
2. Jax (Sons of Anarchy)
1. Facebook/Like/Hashtag
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17482 on: July 16, 2013, 12:37:59 PM »
Airica
Airyanna

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #17483 on: July 16, 2013, 07:28:11 PM »
this is from Cracked.com, so NSFW, but still very funny

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-real-baby-names-that-wont-make-any-sense-in-few-years/

The names:

5.Khaleesi (Game of Thrones)
4. Bentley (16 and Pregnant)
3. Sookie (True Blood)
2. Jax (Sons of Anarchy)
1. Facebook/Like/Hashtag

I am so not understanding the sudden love for the Khaleesi. There are even "I'm not a princess, I'm a Khaleesi!" t-shirts. Um ... ok ... but you do know that when if and when the Khal dies, his Khaleesi was sent basically to whither away to nothing and die with the other has-beens. Danaeris is great and all, but definitely not the norm.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17484 on: July 17, 2013, 12:36:40 PM »
A woman at the store named.... Jami.

It was common here in the late 70's, early 80's.  It's Jamie, just with the E dropped off.

I was wondering why Jami was on this thread because I thought it was a normal name.  Then I figured it sounded normal to me because of actress Jami Gertz, but maybe not everyone is familiar with her.  Funny how quickly you get use to things even if you only know of one person with that name/spelling.
I think Jamie is a very normal name and I've seen a few different spellings, but not Jami.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #17485 on: July 17, 2013, 03:07:55 PM »
A girl I went to college with, previously slightly pretentious and annoying but since moved to a hipster neighborhood in NY (near, but not in, Brooklyn) has finally had her baby. The name? Breukelen. She said she wanted to name it after 'the place he was born'. Except he wasn't born in Breukelen, or Brooklyn - he was born in Queens!

Catananche

« Reply #17486 on: July 17, 2013, 05:51:45 PM »
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breukelen_(Utrecht) The Dutch wiki page on Breukelen. It's a nice enough place, but it's a very bad name. And it's she isn't Dutch there is no way she's pronouncing that correctly.

pwv

« Reply #17487 on: July 21, 2013, 04:31:09 PM »
I recently read a news item on the internet about a woman in the UK who had a young daughter named Papaya.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17488 on: July 22, 2013, 12:17:54 AM »
Weird Crime Wednesday listed one attempted murderer with the first and second names of "Bamboo Flute".

He stabbed his dad.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #17489 on: July 22, 2013, 01:16:19 AM »
A local company gives our kids supplies and a backpack. We put the kids names in the little pocket/luggage tag thing that faces the kids' backs. They are free to bring their own backpacks - but at least 1/2 my kids used the backpack they were given.

We have some very strangely spelled names with our students. The ones I feel sorry for are the 3rd, 4th and 5th graders that legally are still Baby Boy/Girl Last Name. Some of them don't have any idea that is their legal name till they either start paying attention to the name on their report card (computer generated so we can't put the name they use) or are given their STAAR test. (there is big deal about making sure kids get the right form). If someone doesn't take care of it, they are going to have trouble as the get older.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future