Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1919638 times)

exitzero

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17490 on: July 22, 2013, 09:22:29 AM »
Weird Crime Wednesday listed one attempted murderer with the first and second names of "Bamboo Flute".

He stabbed his dad.

I don't blame him.

Anyone who would saddle his kid with a name like that needed killin'.

Kariachi

« Reply #17491 on: July 22, 2013, 12:04:15 PM »
Weird Crime Wednesday listed one attempted murderer with the first and second names of "Bamboo Flute".

He stabbed his dad.

I don't blame him.

Anyone who would saddle his kid with a name like that needed killin'.

http://www.bugmartini.com/comics/stupid-baby-name-police/
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17492 on: July 24, 2013, 07:43:44 PM »
Seen on cupcake wars: A woman named Anomaly.

Note: a friend's dog is named Anomaly... cute for a dog... for a human? not so much.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #17493 on: July 24, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
I cared for a patient whose full name is James Tiberius Kirk Smith*, and yes his mother was a Star Trek fan and so is he.

*Smith is not his REAL last name, I put it there to show he had four names!

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I don’t like the color..."

Shea

« Reply #17494 on: July 24, 2013, 10:56:09 PM »
Just a little anecdote to show how common wacky names are:

A friend of mine from high school, who still lives in my hometown, recently had a baby. I was talking to my mom a few days ago, and mentioned that Sarah had had her baby, a little boy. Mom asked what they'd named him and I told her James (not the real name, but think a common, classic name). Mom seemed surprised and I asked her what was so surprising about the name. She said that she's gotten so used to everyone she knows naming their kid something yewneek that she was momentarily taken aback by something as normal as James.

To be fair, my small hometown is largely hippies with a good dollop of ultraconservative survivalist types, with the result that lots of the kids in town are called something like Bliss, Namaste or Rainbow, while another good chunk are called Maverick, some variation of "Tiffany" with an extra 8 vowels, or something involving gun parts or brands, such as Beretta.

It's an interesting town.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17495 on: July 25, 2013, 10:55:51 AM »
Just a little anecdote to show how common wacky names are:

A friend of mine from high school, who still lives in my hometown, recently had a baby. I was talking to my mom a few days ago, and mentioned that Sarah had had her baby, a little boy. Mom asked what they'd named him and I told her James (not the real name, but think a common, classic name). Mom seemed surprised and I asked her what was so surprising about the name. She said that she's gotten so used to everyone she knows naming their kid something yewneek that she was momentarily taken aback by something as normal as James.

To be fair, my small hometown is largely hippies with a good dollop of ultraconservative survivalist types, with the result that lots of the kids in town are called something like Bliss, Namaste or Rainbow, while another good chunk are called Maverick, some variation of "Tiffany" with an extra 8 vowels, or something involving gun parts or brands, such as Beretta.

It's an interesting town.

Bolinas?
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17496 on: July 25, 2013, 11:14:57 AM »
One culled from the genealogy manuscripts that DH and I were looking over Monday: Lurinda.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #17497 on: July 25, 2013, 12:05:09 PM »

Well, that one's certainly out of the ordinary.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17498 on: July 25, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »

Well, that one's certainly out of the ordinary.

;D

Rohanna

« Reply #17499 on: July 25, 2013, 01:31:24 PM »
Doing genealogy or working in Healthcare with seniors will certainly teach you that "unique" names are hardly a modern invention- I've come across some really strange things that some of the older set were saddled with :)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #17500 on: July 25, 2013, 02:20:20 PM »
I cared for a patient whose full name is James Tiberius Kirk Smith*, and yes his mother was a Star Trek fan and so is he.

*Smith is not his REAL last name, I put it there to show he had four names!

I love this! 

Jones

« Reply #17501 on: July 25, 2013, 03:31:46 PM »
Doing genealogy or working in Healthcare with seniors will certainly teach you that "unique" names are hardly a modern invention- I've come across some really strange things that some of the older set were saddled with :)
Yes, a friend recently posted on Facebook about finding a relative named Eugeneous (you genius). It was dissimilar to other family names in the period, late 1800's I think.

Coralreef

« Reply #17502 on: July 25, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »
Yes, a friend recently posted on Facebook about finding a relative named Eugeneous (you genius). It was dissimilar to other family names in the period, late 1800's I think.
One can only hope he lived up to the name.  ;)

[/right

Bethczar

« Reply #17503 on: July 25, 2013, 06:09:54 PM »
Yes, I agree. Here are some interesting names of older people that I've seen. I may have posted some before.

Cinderella
Hiawatha
Candelaria/Candelario
Everalda
Manners
Thearetha
Zeone
Mevlinann
Gamber
Alexandru

misha412

« Reply #17504 on: July 25, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »

May I present a very distant relative found during a search for my family tree:

Thersia Phenous Albien Eugene Chumbley

He went by "Eugene".