Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1975165 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17520 on: July 27, 2013, 09:55:40 PM »
Amberly

It just seems kind of weird looking to me.

sounds like a nursing home to me

"Last night I dreamt I went to Amberley again"

Ha! That's exactly what went through my mind!

One of the things I love about eHell is that literary and geek references never miss :)

Ereine

« Reply #17521 on: July 28, 2013, 12:32:41 AM »
Tuuli.

I'm guessing they got it from their trips abroad, but it's very unusual here. We also have no idea how to pronounce it (it could be uu or oe depending).

Tuuli is a pretty common Finnish female name that means wind, for English speakers I would say that the prononciation is something like too-ly, so probably uu in your case.

Bethczar

« Reply #17522 on: July 28, 2013, 02:56:02 PM »
Amberly

It just seems kind of weird looking to me.

sounds like a nursing home to me

"Last night I dreamt I went to Amberley again"
Does she have a twin named Pemberley? (Yes, I know I'm mixing authors  :))

Maxiestar

« Reply #17523 on: July 28, 2013, 07:36:29 PM »
A soap opera star has a daughter named Catchen. Has anyone heard of it?

It says something when you put a name into behindthename and the closest two they can get are Welsh.

Cadogan
Cadwgan

And they're technically the same name.

The Irish and the Welsh, glorious names to hear, kinda scary to read.

Ah! Now that's interesting. I kinda like it, I just hadn't heard of it before.

JoW

« Reply #17524 on: July 28, 2013, 10:12:48 PM »
This made my local tv news, but I can't find a link.  I live in the US where we don't pay a lot of attention to the British royal family.   

A couple in Western Iowa has 3 children.  Will and Kate are preschool age, born before Prince William got engaged to Kate Middleton.  The couple's third child is about a year old.  He is named George.  All perfectly normal names but an eye-catching coincidence. 

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #17525 on: July 28, 2013, 10:57:44 PM »
Wonder if Braxtyon (sp) ? had given mom Braxton Hicks contractions before birth.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

katiescarlett

« Reply #17526 on: July 29, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »
Leeam Mathue (first and middle name).  Now I happen to love both these names, especially Liam, which is my favorite boy name, but really?  What is wrong with Liam Matthew?

Cherry91

« Reply #17527 on: August 02, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »
My old school used to be a combination of juniors and seniors (elementary and secondary for the US version I think?) - they were different buildings but on the same grounds and under the same name.

I used to help some of the junior kids with their reading once a week, and to get to the right classroom, I had to go through a hallway with coatpegs on one side, one for each child. One name ALWAYS caught my eye as I passed...

"Atlantis"...

Addy

« Reply #17528 on: August 02, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »
My old school used to be a combination of juniors and seniors (elementary and secondary for the US version I think?) - they were different buildings but on the same grounds and under the same name.

I used to help some of the junior kids with their reading once a week, and to get to the right classroom, I had to go through a hallway with coatpegs on one side, one for each child. One name ALWAYS caught my eye as I passed...

"Atlantis"...

I hope that kid doesn't get lost.

Kariachi

« Reply #17529 on: August 02, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »

"Atlantis"...

I hope his last name isn't some variation of 'City'. Can you picture the newspaper article? "The lost City, Atlantis, was last seen-"
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #17530 on: August 02, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
A girl I went to college with, previously slightly pretentious and annoying but since moved to a hipster neighborhood in NY (near, but not in, Brooklyn) has finally had her baby. The name? Breukelen. She said she wanted to name it after 'the place he was born'. Except he wasn't born in Breukelen, or Brooklyn - he was born in Queens!

That really tickles me because there is a Breukelen Owners Corp. in New York but it is in Brooklyn.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Cherry91

« Reply #17531 on: August 02, 2013, 02:08:56 PM »

"Atlantis"...

I hope his last name isn't some variation of 'City'. Can you picture the newspaper article? "The lost City, Atlantis, was last seen-"

Ah, that is truly brilliant. And you just know some writers will leap upon such a chance if it was given.

I'm thinking Atlantis probably found herself a nickname very quickly as she grew up...

JoW

« Reply #17532 on: August 02, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
Kanon.  The kid is less than a month old.  His middle name is Christopher.  Maybe they'll call him Chris.

(I work with Kanon's dad.)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17533 on: August 04, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »
A girl I went to college with, previously slightly pretentious and annoying but since moved to a hipster neighborhood in NY (near, but not in, Brooklyn) has finally had her baby. The name? Breukelen. She said she wanted to name it after 'the place he was born'. Except he wasn't born in Breukelen, or Brooklyn - he was born in Queens!

That really tickles me because there is a Breukelen Owners Corp. in New York but it is in Brooklyn.

Well, 'Breuklen' is the Dutch name of one of the seven towns that made up the original borough of Brooklyn. 

Let's just hope that no one decides to name a child 'Flatbush' (or 'Flaetbusch').

faithlessone

« Reply #17534 on: August 04, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »
I went to primary school with a girl named Gala. Weird enough, right?

It was only at our year 6 leaving service that we all discovered that her legal name was... Galadriel.