Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1648993 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17535 on: August 02, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
A girl I went to college with, previously slightly pretentious and annoying but since moved to a hipster neighborhood in NY (near, but not in, Brooklyn) has finally had her baby. The name? Breukelen. She said she wanted to name it after 'the place he was born'. Except he wasn't born in Breukelen, or Brooklyn - he was born in Queens!

That really tickles me because there is a Breukelen Owners Corp. in New York but it is in Brooklyn.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Cherry91

« Reply #17536 on: August 02, 2013, 02:08:56 PM »
My old school used to be a combination of juniors and seniors (elementary and secondary for the US version I think?) - they were different buildings but on the same grounds and under the same name.

I used to help some of the junior kids with their reading once a week, and to get to the right classroom, I had to go through a hallway with coatpegs on one side, one for each child. One name ALWAYS caught my eye as I passed...

"Atlantis"...

I hope that kid doesn't get lost.

I hope his last name isn't some variation of 'City'. Can you picture the newspaper article? "The lost City, Atlantis, was last seen-"

Ah, that is truly brilliant. And you just know some writers will leap upon such a chance if it was given.

I'm thinking Atlantis probably found herself a nickname very quickly as she grew up...

JoW

« Reply #17537 on: August 02, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
Kanon.  The kid is less than a month old.  His middle name is Christopher.  Maybe they'll call him Chris.

(I work with Kanon's dad.)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17538 on: August 04, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »
A girl I went to college with, previously slightly pretentious and annoying but since moved to a hipster neighborhood in NY (near, but not in, Brooklyn) has finally had her baby. The name? Breukelen. She said she wanted to name it after 'the place he was born'. Except he wasn't born in Breukelen, or Brooklyn - he was born in Queens!

That really tickles me because there is a Breukelen Owners Corp. in New York but it is in Brooklyn.

Well, 'Breuklen' is the Dutch name of one of the seven towns that made up the original borough of Brooklyn. 

Let's just hope that no one decides to name a child 'Flatbush' (or 'Flaetbusch').

faithlessone

« Reply #17539 on: August 04, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »
I went to primary school with a girl named Gala. Weird enough, right?

It was only at our year 6 leaving service that we all discovered that her legal name was... Galadriel.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #17540 on: August 04, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »
Someone was a Tolkien fan. I kind of like that myself.

It's definately not the first time someone used a name from a book or movie. I've run across a couple of Aylas and Americus, a family who named all their kids with movie character names. While not common, they weren't horrible, unique spellings, or unpronounceble letter patterns, with random aprostophes.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 02:37:09 PM by wonderfullyanonymous »

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #17541 on: August 04, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »
I think Galadriel is pretty, personally.

My middle sister... *shakes her head* She gave her daughter a predominantly Hispanic name (at least for the area she lives in), which is not a problem, BUT she changed the pronounciation, and she gets very tetchy when someone mispronounces it. (For example - this is not the real name - it would be like taking the name Blanca and pronouncing it BLANK-a.) Now, alright, I suppose that could be forgiven, but the kid's middle name...

Lotus.

To go with her older half-sister (not my sister's kid, but her ex-husband's), whose middle name is Cypress.

They're perfectly lovely names. Really. For plants.

(On the other hand, oldest sister had a wicked sense of humor when it came to naming her kids. Her married name is Bender, so the oldest girl has a nickname (really just a truncation of her actual name) that is pronounced "on a", and the youngest has a name that means "morning". That one amuses us all to no end. :))
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

snowdragon

« Reply #17542 on: August 04, 2013, 03:27:55 PM »
even normal names can be perverted. Spotted at the concert venue Friday:  Ryky. Which I assume is pronounced as Ricky.

Tini

« Reply #17543 on: August 04, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »
The ex of a relative of my husband's named her daughter Hatshepsut. My sister quipped that they could call her 'Hatschi' for short (achoo in German).

I wonder if there's going to be a brother called Rameses the third.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17544 on: August 04, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »
The ex of a relative of my husband's named her daughter Hatshepsut. My sister quipped that they could call her 'Hatschi' for short (achoo in German).

If I were her, I'd go by Su.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Jones

« Reply #17545 on: August 04, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »
I'd go by Hattie, personally.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17546 on: August 04, 2013, 05:44:56 PM »

I might have posted this before but it's worth mentioning again. 

Back in my library days we'd get several people a year who wanted to find an Ancient Egyptian name for the baby on the way.

We had the 'Biographical Dictionary of Ancient Egypt'. This has a huge index of personal names both royal and non-royal.

A lady looked through the index and selected what she thought was the perfect name for her son.  She was saying how nice it sounded when a curator happened by.  Always happy to be of help, the curator told her that the translation of that name was 'Son of the Great Female Pig'. 

She quickly went looking for another.         

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17547 on: August 04, 2013, 06:17:48 PM »
Some weirdish ones that are examples of perfectly normal spelled names that the parents decided to pronounce different.

Cheryl pronounced Chair-ul, with the ch like in chair, change, chance

Deborah pronounced Dee-Bore-ah

Each of these ladies are at least 40-50 years old.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Bethczar

« Reply #17548 on: August 04, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »
Some weirdish ones that are examples of perfectly normal spelled names that the parents decided to pronounce different.

I remember reading somewhere about a woman named Joan, who pronounced it like JoAnn.

BarensMom

« Reply #17549 on: August 04, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »

I remember reading somewhere about a woman named Joan, who pronounced it like JoAnn.

According to Christina Crawford's book, Joan Crawford hated her (studio-bestowed) name and pronounced it Jo-Ann for many years.