Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1919323 times)

wonderfullyanonymous

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17535 on: August 04, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »
Someone was a Tolkien fan. I kind of like that myself.

It's definately not the first time someone used a name from a book or movie. I've run across a couple of Aylas and Americus, a family who named all their kids with movie character names. While not common, they weren't horrible, unique spellings, or unpronounceble letter patterns, with random aprostophes.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 02:37:09 PM by wonderfullyanonymous »

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #17536 on: August 04, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »
I think Galadriel is pretty, personally.

My middle sister... *shakes her head* She gave her daughter a predominantly Hispanic name (at least for the area she lives in), which is not a problem, BUT she changed the pronounciation, and she gets very tetchy when someone mispronounces it. (For example - this is not the real name - it would be like taking the name Blanca and pronouncing it BLANK-a.) Now, alright, I suppose that could be forgiven, but the kid's middle name...

Lotus.

To go with her older half-sister (not my sister's kid, but her ex-husband's), whose middle name is Cypress.

They're perfectly lovely names. Really. For plants.

(On the other hand, oldest sister had a wicked sense of humor when it came to naming her kids. Her married name is Bender, so the oldest girl has a nickname (really just a truncation of her actual name) that is pronounced "on a", and the youngest has a name that means "morning". That one amuses us all to no end. :))
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

snowdragon

« Reply #17537 on: August 04, 2013, 03:27:55 PM »
even normal names can be perverted. Spotted at the concert venue Friday:  Ryky. Which I assume is pronounced as Ricky.

Tini

« Reply #17538 on: August 04, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »
The ex of a relative of my husband's named her daughter Hatshepsut. My sister quipped that they could call her 'Hatschi' for short (achoo in German).

I wonder if there's going to be a brother called Rameses the third.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17539 on: August 04, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »
The ex of a relative of my husband's named her daughter Hatshepsut. My sister quipped that they could call her 'Hatschi' for short (achoo in German).

If I were her, I'd go by Su.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Jones

« Reply #17540 on: August 04, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »
I'd go by Hattie, personally.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17541 on: August 04, 2013, 05:44:56 PM »

I might have posted this before but it's worth mentioning again. 

Back in my library days we'd get several people a year who wanted to find an Ancient Egyptian name for the baby on the way.

We had the 'Biographical Dictionary of Ancient Egypt'. This has a huge index of personal names both royal and non-royal.

A lady looked through the index and selected what she thought was the perfect name for her son.  She was saying how nice it sounded when a curator happened by.  Always happy to be of help, the curator told her that the translation of that name was 'Son of the Great Female Pig'. 

She quickly went looking for another.         

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17542 on: August 04, 2013, 06:17:48 PM »
Some weirdish ones that are examples of perfectly normal spelled names that the parents decided to pronounce different.

Cheryl pronounced Chair-ul, with the ch like in chair, change, chance

Deborah pronounced Dee-Bore-ah

Each of these ladies are at least 40-50 years old.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Bethczar

« Reply #17543 on: August 04, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »
Some weirdish ones that are examples of perfectly normal spelled names that the parents decided to pronounce different.

I remember reading somewhere about a woman named Joan, who pronounced it like JoAnn.

BarensMom

« Reply #17544 on: August 04, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »

I remember reading somewhere about a woman named Joan, who pronounced it like JoAnn.

According to Christina Crawford's book, Joan Crawford hated her (studio-bestowed) name and pronounced it Jo-Ann for many years.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17545 on: August 04, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »

That reminds me of my MIL who once talked about a friend of hers name Pemella which she was pronouncing Pe mell' a.

Eventually I saw the name written out (on a Christmas card) and it was, as you might guess, Pamela. (Pam' el a).  I smiled to myself about the obvious mispronunciation.

Oddly, eventually I met Pamela and she said "Oh, Hi!  I'm so happy to meet you.  I've heard so much about you.  I'm Pe mell'a.

Elisabunny

« Reply #17546 on: August 05, 2013, 11:42:30 AM »

According to Christina Crawford's book, Joan Crawford hated her (studio-bestowed) name and pronounced it Jo-Ann for many years.

I know a Joan with the Jo-Ann pronunciation.  I always do a double take when I see it written out.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Specky

« Reply #17547 on: August 05, 2013, 01:53:31 PM »
Guy in a class:  Joelle (Joel)  We kept looking for a female, and he didn't want to answer to Joelle.

Woman in an office with a name tag:  Tequila.  Pronounced Ta-QWILL-uh

Kid in son's class:  Juan.  Pronounced Ja-WAN

Is "Peabody" really pronounced "Pibbidy"?  I guess it could be, but that wasn't the obvious pronunciation to me.  The person was quite sharp with me, as though I should have known.

Also knew of a child named U""Neek (she wanted quotation marks).

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #17548 on: August 05, 2013, 02:10:19 PM »
Guy in a class:  Joelle (Joel)  We kept looking for a female, and he didn't want to answer to Joelle.

Woman in an office with a name tag:  Tequila.  Pronounced Ta-QWILL-uh

Kid in son's class:  Juan.  Pronounced Ja-WAN

Is "Peabody" really pronounced "Pibbidy"?  I guess it could be, but that wasn't the obvious pronunciation to me.  The person was quite sharp with me, as though I should have known.

Also knew of a child named U""Neek (she wanted quotation marks).

Back in the early 1800's, Juan was pronounced, "Joo - AHN." Thus, one of Lord Byron's most famous poems is pronounced, "Dawn Joo - AHN," despite the fact that the Spanish pronunciation is now the generally accepted one.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

gmatoy

« Reply #17549 on: August 05, 2013, 02:59:03 PM »
Seen on cupcake wars: A woman named Anomaly.

Well, that one's certainly out of the ordinary.

This made me laugh! Loud enough that I was asked what was funny and when I told them why, they cracked up too. So very funny!