Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1875832 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17640 on: August 25, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »
Moly. (pronounced molly) saw it on the new game show The Chase. Anyone see this spelling of Molly before?

Moly is an herb - I think Ulysses squeezed its juice into his eyes to let him see through Circe's spells - if I recall my mythology from Bullfinch correctly.  It was pronounced with a long O instead of a short o (Mo-ley instead of Mol-ly) - I think.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

lilfox

« Reply #17641 on: August 25, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »
One of the people in my training class is named after one of the Fonts.... O.o

Either I'm missing something or you really mean a typography font/type face?
Are they named Arial,Verdana, Colibri ? Times New Roman?
Bonus point if they are named Akzidenz-Grotesk, or one of those Something STD (who are a type of font licensing thingy or something like that, not a disease riddled font, but I always found the name funny).

The first. Yeah... only it is spelled with an extra E. Aerial. And there's a girl named Iquayla (lovely name, in my opinion) spelled Ikequayla or something of the sort. the Ke is silent, I guess.

Re: Aerial - there's a mystery novel series (Arly Hanks books by Joan Hess) wheree the main character's given name is Aerial.  Her mom named her after hearing the phrase "aerial photos" and thought the word was pretty.  Mom Ruby is actually named Rubella for the same "ooh that sounds pretty" reason.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #17642 on: August 25, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »
My 7 yr old DD said today when she grows up and she has a baby boy she will name it Historic.   If she, 20 years from now, keeps that idea, I will come back and update (and sob).

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17643 on: August 25, 2013, 06:50:26 PM »
My 7 yr old DD said today when she grows up and she has a baby boy she will name it Historic.   If she, 20 years from now, keeps that idea, I will come back and update (and sob).

lol

Jones

« Reply #17644 on: August 25, 2013, 07:00:10 PM »

Mine says she's going to have three little boys and name them all Peter, but they will have different middle names to actually go by.

I'll update with you, if she goes that route.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17645 on: August 25, 2013, 11:48:39 PM »
One of the people in my training class is named after one of the Fonts.... O.o

Either I'm missing something or you really mean a typography font/type face?
Are they named Arial,Verdana, Colibri ? Times New Roman?
Bonus point if they are named Akzidenz-Grotesk, or one of those Something STD (who are a type of font licensing thingy or something like that, not a disease riddled font, but I always found the name funny).

The first. Yeah... only it is spelled with an extra E. Aerial. And there's a girl named Iquayla (lovely name, in my opinion) spelled Ikequayla or something of the sort. the Ke is silent, I guess.

Did she say that she was named after Arial? Isn't aerial a word with at least one meaning people might use for a (bit strange) name? Though maybe not antenna.

We have name days here, a remnant of Catholic saint calendars even though Finland has been protestant since 16th century. You can use names that aren't in the calendar but it's a fun thing and people used to celebrate name days more than birthdays. My mother always sends me a small gift and a card, otherwise I don't usually do anything. New names are added every five years if necessary, I think that there have to be 500 people with that name as the first name for them to consider it. They just announced the new name days and though there aren't any really strange names (I was surprised that there were some foreign names, like Noel, Robin, Isabella and Melissa) one interesting is Taika which means magic or a magic spell.

The new names, in case someone is interested in the sort of names that have been trendy here (on top of all the older poplar names), are: Aava, Annu, Enna, Iisa, Isabella, Isla, Janni, Juuli, Kiira, Melissa, Mimosa, Mirella, Nanna, Nadja, Nita, Pipsa, Saaga, Sarita, Seela, Stella, Taika, Vanessa for girls and Eemi, Hugo, Jooa, Joose, Kasper, Kimi, Luka, Milo, Nooa, Noel, Okko, Paulus, Peetu, Robin, Sasu, Sisu, Tiitus for boys. Double vowels are popular :)

I didn't even think of that... my first thought was "Little Mermaid" til I saw how it was spelled. then I was like "Font???" >.< I think I might have REALLY strange word associations.

snowdragon

« Reply #17646 on: August 26, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »
Da'Nahsty.  One of the little ones in my nieces class is  called Da'Nahsty.  I unsure how to pronounce it, even.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #17647 on: August 26, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »
Da'Nahsty.  One of the little ones in my nieces class is  called Da'Nahsty.  I unsure how to pronounce it, even.

:o

Dynasty? (Only thing I can think of that's not...well...nasty.)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #17648 on: August 26, 2013, 05:25:03 PM »
niece's bio-dad liked the name Eternity Serenity and lobbied for it..hard.

Sis did not like it, and thus began the Great Negotiations
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

HGolightly

« Reply #17649 on: August 28, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »
Hubby works with a guy whose daughter is named Seattle.  A PT I know had a family come into the hospital with their three boys named after Stallone movies: Rocky, Rambo and......drumroll...Cobra.

Rohanna

« Reply #17650 on: August 29, 2013, 01:25:15 AM »
For the sake of medical anonymity I'll change the name- but think of an extremely hippy 70's kind of name. Now make that your surname as well. Had a patient today named something equivalent to "Rainbow Rainbow". It was an odd choice on someone's part, I think.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17651 on: August 29, 2013, 02:28:34 AM »
For the sake of medical anonymity I'll change the name- but think of an extremely hippy 70's kind of name. Now make that your surname as well. Had a patient today named something equivalent to "Rainbow Rainbow". It was an odd choice on someone's part, I think.
I remember there being an entry in the Guiness Book of Records for a man named "Hopkins Hopkins".  :o
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

menley

« Reply #17652 on: August 29, 2013, 07:01:56 AM »
There was a student at my school whose name was gay Bobbitt. You can only imagine the jokes she got after the Lorena Bobbitt incident (and, kids being kids, having "gay" as her first name just made it worse).

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17653 on: August 29, 2013, 08:10:29 AM »
On kre8tiv spellings of regular names, I just saw "Linzi" instead of Lindsay.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17654 on: September 01, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »
On kre8tiv spellings of regular names, I just saw "Linzi" instead of Lindsay.

I thought that's one of the real "official" spellings for that name.