Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1645559 times)

Rohanna

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17655 on: August 29, 2013, 01:25:15 AM »
For the sake of medical anonymity I'll change the name- but think of an extremely hippy 70's kind of name. Now make that your surname as well. Had a patient today named something equivalent to "Rainbow Rainbow". It was an odd choice on someone's part, I think.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17656 on: August 29, 2013, 02:28:34 AM »
For the sake of medical anonymity I'll change the name- but think of an extremely hippy 70's kind of name. Now make that your surname as well. Had a patient today named something equivalent to "Rainbow Rainbow". It was an odd choice on someone's part, I think.
I remember there being an entry in the Guiness Book of Records for a man named "Hopkins Hopkins".  :o
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

menley

« Reply #17657 on: August 29, 2013, 07:01:56 AM »
There was a student at my school whose name was gay Bobbitt. You can only imagine the jokes she got after the Lorena Bobbitt incident (and, kids being kids, having "gay" as her first name just made it worse).

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17658 on: August 29, 2013, 08:10:29 AM »
On kre8tiv spellings of regular names, I just saw "Linzi" instead of Lindsay.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17659 on: September 01, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »

I thought that's one of the real "official" spellings for that name.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17660 on: September 01, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »

I've never seen anything but Lindsey or Lindsay.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17661 on: September 01, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »

I've never seen anything but Lindsey or Lindsay.

I've seen it on baby name websites and at least one actress, but I agree it's not too common.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #17662 on: September 01, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »

Apparently it is English and although rare is recognized as a variant of Lindsay, Lindsey, etc. It seems to be hard to find real etymological information -- Google queries end up with a lot of woo-ish "your name means that you finish things, that you're strong and you are associated with the number 4, yadda-yadda". The apparent meaning is "Lincoln's marsh; island of linden trees". There have been less that two-dozen "Linzi" born in the US each year since 1978.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17663 on: September 03, 2013, 07:55:39 AM »
Twins: Brent and.... Brenttany.

What's wrong with Brittany? or Britney? (or any of the other variants of that name)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Moonie

« Reply #17664 on: September 08, 2013, 03:21:10 PM »
Just read an article about up and coming tennis siblings named Tornado and Hurricane.

daen

« Reply #17665 on: September 08, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »
Another one spotted courtesy of reddit.com

Ya' Hyness.

Urhines has competition for the throne, it seems. (Of the two, I believe I prefer Ya' Hyness, apostrophe and all, since the pronunciation is at least fairly obvious.)

daen

« Reply #17666 on: September 08, 2013, 04:20:10 PM »
Forgot to mention: child born recently by the name of Oakley Joseph.  I was under the impression that the expected child was already determined to be female, but I'm hoping that either this is a different baby or that the determination was wrong.

Either way, a set of parents has given their child a name strongly associated with a brand of sunglasses.

nayberry

« Reply #17667 on: September 08, 2013, 04:33:25 PM »
I remember there being an entry in the Guiness Book of Records for a man named "Hopkins Hopkins".  :o

in the UK, there were football(soccer) playing brothers whose surname is Neville, their dad's name... Neville Neville!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17668 on: September 08, 2013, 07:52:49 PM »
<sigh> Okay, it's no secret I hate the trend of giving girls traditionally male name. But if you're going to do it, at least give a more gender-traditional middle name so you can tell at some point what the darn kid's name is. I recently encountered Javon James Lastname. Yup, a girl.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17669 on: September 08, 2013, 11:50:21 PM »
Guy named Thunder on an episode of Dog eat Dog... there was one other odd name on there too but I forget what it is....