Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1973229 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17655 on: September 01, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »
On kre8tiv spellings of regular names, I just saw "Linzi" instead of Lindsay.

I thought that's one of the real "official" spellings for that name.

I've never seen anything but Lindsey or Lindsay.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17656 on: September 01, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »

I've never seen anything but Lindsey or Lindsay.

I've seen it on baby name websites and at least one actress, but I agree it's not too common.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #17657 on: September 01, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »

Apparently it is English and although rare is recognized as a variant of Lindsay, Lindsey, etc. It seems to be hard to find real etymological information -- Google queries end up with a lot of woo-ish "your name means that you finish things, that you're strong and you are associated with the number 4, yadda-yadda". The apparent meaning is "Lincoln's marsh; island of linden trees". There have been less that two-dozen "Linzi" born in the US each year since 1978.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17658 on: September 03, 2013, 07:55:39 AM »
Twins: Brent and.... Brenttany.

What's wrong with Brittany? or Britney? (or any of the other variants of that name)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Moonie

« Reply #17659 on: September 08, 2013, 03:21:10 PM »
Just read an article about up and coming tennis siblings named Tornado and Hurricane.

daen

« Reply #17660 on: September 08, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »
Another one spotted courtesy of reddit.com

Ya' Hyness.

Urhines has competition for the throne, it seems. (Of the two, I believe I prefer Ya' Hyness, apostrophe and all, since the pronunciation is at least fairly obvious.)

daen

« Reply #17661 on: September 08, 2013, 04:20:10 PM »
Forgot to mention: child born recently by the name of Oakley Joseph.  I was under the impression that the expected child was already determined to be female, but I'm hoping that either this is a different baby or that the determination was wrong.

Either way, a set of parents has given their child a name strongly associated with a brand of sunglasses.

nayberry

« Reply #17662 on: September 08, 2013, 04:33:25 PM »
For the sake of medical anonymity I'll change the name- but think of an extremely hippy 70's kind of name. Now make that your surname as well. Had a patient today named something equivalent to "Rainbow Rainbow". It was an odd choice on someone's part, I think.
I remember there being an entry in the Guiness Book of Records for a man named "Hopkins Hopkins".  :o

in the UK, there were football(soccer) playing brothers whose surname is Neville, their dad's name... Neville Neville!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17663 on: September 08, 2013, 07:52:49 PM »
<sigh> Okay, it's no secret I hate the trend of giving girls traditionally male name. But if you're going to do it, at least give a more gender-traditional middle name so you can tell at some point what the darn kid's name is. I recently encountered Javon James Lastname. Yup, a girl.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17664 on: September 08, 2013, 11:50:21 PM »
Guy named Thunder on an episode of Dog eat Dog... there was one other odd name on there too but I forget what it is....

gmatoy

« Reply #17665 on: September 09, 2013, 12:01:34 AM »
Okay, I'm going to do a close, but not quite the correct name: Hanna Anna Santana

(It is not the correct last name.)

Why rhyming names? Won't kids tease enough without giving them ammunition?

Edited to add the word "not."
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:36:19 PM by gmatoy »

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #17666 on: September 09, 2013, 04:29:18 PM »
Guy named Thunder on an episode of Dog eat Dog... there was one other odd name on there too but I forget what it is....

That may not be his parents' doing. I went to high school with someone called "Thunder." Thirty years later, on the class FB group, he is still calling himself Thunder.

His given name is Duncan, and we all knew that, but in the same way that someone else might asked to be called Bob or Chip when their real name was Robert or Samuel, and you'd do it, Thunder got the name he wanted.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17667 on: September 09, 2013, 08:21:45 PM »

That may not be his parents' doing. I went to high school with someone called "Thunder." Thirty years later, on the class FB group, he is still calling himself Thunder.

His given name is Duncan, and we all knew that, but in the same way that someone else might asked to be called Bob or Chip when their real name was Robert or Samuel, and you'd do it, Thunder got the name he wanted.

I love the name Duncan! *squees* *blushes and scuttles out*

cwm

« Reply #17668 on: September 11, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »
I'm going to post my personal list of odd names, then go back to reading. I'm on page 512, but then again I've changed how many posts are on a page, and I only see 708 pages right now, so take what you will from it.

From work:
Kellyn, Mikayla, Serene, Fallon, Anneka, Malia, Britt (not short for anything, just Britt, and she'd remind you of that every time you had to write her name), Saber, Memori, Wyt Christmas and his sister Holly

From family:
Arvin, Marthan, Pleasant, John Loring, Harlow Haycroft (all male)

From customers:
Jacqlyn, Dizzie

Weird pronounciations/spellings:
Kevyn (prounounced KAY-vin)
Leia (pronounced like Leah)
Kaelea (Her name is a mix of her grandmother's names, Kay and Leanne)

BF has two middle names, one of which is Odd. He says it's a family name. I say that may be the case, but it's still a bit weird.

Two brothers, friends of the family, from a very rural area. Names are Hunter and Ryder. Mom keeps asking when little Fisher is going to join the family.

In the just plain weird, I've also in the past few days seen Jacqlyn and Dizzie. And yes, those were their legal names.

Back to reading.

lilfox

« Reply #17669 on: September 11, 2013, 03:40:55 PM »
Not sure this counts because if I had to guess, I would say it's an affectation of the named person and not her parents:

A distant coworker spells her name kellEy.  That capitalization is both in her signature and her email address.

Reminded me of LA Story when Steve Martin's character learns that Sarah Jessica Parker's name is "Sandy," which he comments is surprisingly normal, but then she writes it as something like SaNdeE* (yes with a star in it).