Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1837904 times)

Kariachi

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17670 on: September 11, 2013, 05:00:23 PM »
I'm going to post my personal list of odd names, then go back to reading. I'm on page 512, but then again I've changed how many posts are on a page, and I only see 708 pages right now, so take what you will from it.

From work:
Kellyn, Mikayla, Serene, Fallon, Anneka, Malia, Britt (not short for anything, just Britt, and she'd remind you of that every time you had to write her name), Saber, Memori, Wyt Christmas and his sister Holly

From family:
Arvin, Marthan, Pleasant, John Loring, Harlow Haycroft (all male)

From customers:
Jacqlyn, Dizzie

Weird pronounciations/spellings:
Kevyn (prounounced KAY-vin)
Leia (pronounced like Leah)
Kaelea (Her name is a mix of her grandmother's names, Kay and Leanne)

BF has two middle names, one of which is Odd. He says it's a family name. I say that may be the case, but it's still a bit weird.

Two brothers, friends of the family, from a very rural area. Names are Hunter and Ryder. Mom keeps asking when little Fisher is going to join the family.

In the just plain weird, I've also in the past few days seen Jacqlyn and Dizzie. And yes, those were their legal names.

Back to reading.

Mikayla, okay. Holly, was her middle initial J by any chance? Arvin is fine if a bit tattered and old. Jacqlyn... Somebody apparently couldn't decide between two perfectly good spellings.

But Kevyn... No. Just no. I'm actually kinda a fan of the name, but by the gods use the proper pronunciation. Kaevin would work. It would still seem odd, but at least it would be something people could pronounce.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Lynn2000

« Reply #17671 on: September 11, 2013, 05:54:37 PM »
I recently came across a baby name book from 1906. Nineteen-oh-six. I didn't realize they had them back then! It has about 300 "Christian names" for each gender. It's just a list of names and not origins or meanings or anything. So there's names like Alice and Beatrice, which are nice classics you could use today, and there's once-common clunkers like Beulah and Bertha (IMO) that are well out of style now, and even nicknames like Nellie and Jenny. And then... there's the weird names.

Girls: Amasa, Arcola, Arzell, Barbarine, Capitola, Daffodil, Eclah, Eeline (two e's), Elta, Ermorine, Erema, Ersilia, Ethelinde, Faustina, Fedora, Flavil, Griselda, Hermorine, Heriot, Hilma, Hulda, Idalia, Ilah, Inza, Irinda, Lavonia, Letha, Leome, Leara, Lilias, Luena, Luetta, Lysle, Marcaria, Marada, Meta, Mertice, Mignon, Queechie, Retta, Rhona, Rosalys, Roxina, Rotha, Seraphita, Signa, Thena, Uarda, Ursalie, Urma, Villette, Zalia, Zanita, Zona

Boys: Acton, Alroy, Almon, Almus, Alvirdo, Annis, Arvid, Bertwell, Beric, Chalmers, Cheevers, Durward, Earlan, Edville, Elbridge, Elwell, Ercole, Erling, Eveleth, Furber, Gilman, Ivory, Kenelm, Kenwood, Lendall, Linwood, Lorley, Lyneous, Merton, Mellen, Natalis, Octave, Ormand, Osmer, Ozman, Perley, Percis, Phileas, Reynale, Seba, Severance, Timias, Traverse, Vernal

I can't decide if my "favorite" girls' name is Ermorine or Queechie. And actually, I do kind of like Rosalys--I think of it like "Rose Alice."

For boys the word names like Severance and Traverse stand out for me, though I also kind of like the grandeur of Lyneous and the sheer redundancy of Edville. Like, I really love the nickname Ed, but for some reason Edward, Edmund, Edgar, and Edwin just don't work for me...?
~Lynn2000

Editeer

« Reply #17672 on: September 11, 2013, 07:07:27 PM »

Girls: Amasa, Arcola, Arzell, Barbarine, Capitola, Daffodil, Eclah, Eeline (two e's), Elta, Ermorine, Erema, Ersilia, Ethelinde, Faustina, Fedora, Flavil, Griselda, Hermorine, Heriot, Hilma, Hulda, Idalia, Ilah, Inza, Irinda, Lavonia, Letha, Leome, Leara, Lilias, Luena, Luetta, Lysle, Marcaria, Marada, Meta, Mertice, Mignon, Queechie, Retta, Rhona, Rosalys, Roxina, Rotha, Seraphita, Signa, Thena, Uarda, Ursalie, Urma, Villette, Zalia, Zanita, Zona

Boys: Acton, Alroy, Almon, Almus, Alvirdo, Annis, Arvid, Bertwell, Beric, Chalmers, Cheevers, Durward, Earlan, Edville, Elbridge, Elwell, Ercole, Erling, Eveleth, Furber, Gilman, Ivory, Kenelm, Kenwood, Lendall, Linwood, Lorley, Lyneous, Merton, Mellen, Natalis, Octave, Ormand, Osmer, Ozman, Perley, Percis, Phileas, Reynale, Seba, Severance, Timias, Traverse, Vernal

Oh, these are great! Thanks for posting them!

I knew a Faustina in college. Mignon is (I believe) a French women's name. I have also come across  one or two men called Vern, whose first name could have been Vernal. (How about Autumnal?)

fountainof

« Reply #17673 on: September 11, 2013, 08:02:14 PM »
I'm all for laughing at somebody who names their child 'Super T-Rex III', but I can't stand by and see the Shaniquas and DeShawns of this world being mocked because of their ethnic and cultural background.
I sometimes read the thread to hear interesting names as I just love them.  Some of the things people dislike like giving girls boy-names is something I just love so I try not to take it personally as I generally think it has an undercurrent of sexism to declare a name gender specific.  Aesthetically, I prefer DeShawn to D'Shawn, I am just not a fan of apostrophes, even in last names like O'Toole.  I think if my last name had an apostrophe spelling I would change it.   I also love the idea of using really old-fashioned names.  I wanted to use one for my DD but DH just wouldn't get on board.  DD went to preschool with a 2 year old named Ethel.

I gave my daughter an odd name - Lexa  My husband wanted Lex, I wanted Alexa and we settled on Lexa, there are people that use the name but generally as a nickname of Alexandria. People who know her get it right but when a stranger asks her they always think she says Alexa.  My Dh did want Lexxa as the spelling and I said that was too odd.

jolyan

« Reply #17674 on: September 11, 2013, 08:46:53 PM »

I knew a Faustina in college. Mignon is (I believe) a French women's name. I have also come across  one or two men called Vern, whose first name could have been Vernal. (How about Autumnal?)

My Great Uncle (born 190?) was named LuVern

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17675 on: September 11, 2013, 09:14:23 PM »
I'm all for laughing at somebody who names their child 'Super T-Rex III', but I can't stand by and see the Shaniquas and DeShawns of this world being mocked because of their ethnic and cultural background.
I sometimes read the thread to hear interesting names as I just love them.  Some of the things people dislike like giving girls boy-names is something I just love so I try not to take it personally as I generally think it has an undercurrent of sexism to declare a name gender specific.  Aesthetically, I prefer DeShawn to D'Shawn, I am just not a fan of apostrophes, even in last names like O'Toole.  I think if my last name had an apostrophe spelling I would change it.   I also love the idea of using really old-fashioned names.  I wanted to use one for my DD but DH just wouldn't get on board.  DD went to preschool with a 2 year old named Ethel.

I gave my daughter an odd name - Lexa  My husband wanted Lex, I wanted Alexa and we settled on Lexa, there are people that use the name but generally as a nickname of Alexandria. People who know her get it right but when a stranger asks her they always think she says Alexa.  My Dh did want Lexxa as the spelling and I said that was too odd.

There was a character on a Sci-Fi show named Lexa... she was the most awesome character ever. Your daughter has an awesome name, and I do not think it is odd at all!

Carotte

« Reply #17676 on: September 11, 2013, 10:25:27 PM »

Well, Mignon means 'cute' and is the masculine, feminine would be 'mignonne'.
I can find one or two websites that list them, one is saying that only 6 kids where named that from 1912 onward, 3 in 1912 and 3 in 1927, and yes, they where girls. (In France I mean).

but whow, they almost all sounds like they're comming from a weird sci-fi or fantasy book, I quite like a few of them but the rest..

gmatoy

« Reply #17677 on: September 11, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »

I can't decide if my "favorite" girls' name is Ermorine or Queechie. And actually, I do kind of like Rosalys--I think of it like "Rose Alice."

I like it too; however, I know someone with this name and they pronounce it "Rose Ah-leese"

Ereine

« Reply #17678 on: September 11, 2013, 11:43:55 PM »
From work:
Kellyn, Mikayla, Serene, Fallon, Anneka, Malia, Britt (not short for anything, just Britt, and she'd remind you of that every time you had to write her name), Saber, Memori, Wyt Christmas and his sister Holly

I guess it depends on if you find foreign names crazy but Britt is a pretty normal name in Scandinavian countries. Anneka, Malia, Mikayla and Fallon are probably rare but don't seem to be on the same level as Wyt Christmas.

My town's professional hockey team aqcuired a foreign player called Shaone. I'm not sure where it comes from, maybe it has a long history as a name somewhere but with his last name which is also a common name with a slightly odd spelling with an extra letter (Morrisonn) it's interesting. I don't know how Shaone is pronounced but I suspect that people will just say it the Finnish way here.

snowdragon

« Reply #17679 on: September 12, 2013, 12:03:31 AM »
There is a child that comes to the local museum frequently who is called Nukette. pronounced Nuke -It.
Sigh

pwv

« Reply #17680 on: September 12, 2013, 06:13:57 AM »
I have been working on my genealogy and found a male relative named  Versal.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17681 on: September 12, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »

I like it too; however, I know someone with this name and they pronounce it "Rose Ah-leese"

Oh, that's awesome, I'll try to remember that! It struck me as a medieval Celtic kind of thing, like Gladys. Otherwise I was going to go with "rose uh liss," which is a little too close to "chrysalis" and morphing caterpillars for my taste. ;) But I like "rose uh LEESE" too.
~Lynn2000

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17682 on: September 12, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »

Oh, that's awesome, I'll try to remember that! It struck me as a medieval Celtic kind of thing, like Gladys. Otherwise I was going to go with "rose uh liss," which is a little too close to "chrysalis" and morphing caterpillars for my taste. ;) But I like "rose uh LEESE" too.

I think "Chrysalis" is a lovely word (JRR Tolkien said the most beautiful word in the English language is "cellardoor.").
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

cwm

« Reply #17683 on: September 12, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »
Dee-Borah. Yes, that's a first name. Yes, it's a legal name. Yes, I wish I was joking about this.

Also, at my work we have three guys named Aaron. So one is Amick (his last name starts with Mc-), another is Ace (his first name starts with the letters Ce-) and the third is A-a-ron. Pronounced with two long a's. We don't get them mixed up too often with a system like that in place.

We also used to have four Chris's. One is no longer with the company, but three were Chris (one female, two male) and one is Kris. We still have to qualify which Chris/Kris we're talking about because nobody's come up with something clever for that yet.

faithlessone

« Reply #17684 on: September 12, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »
I swear that about 90% of the men I work with are called Mike, Lee or Kevin.