Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1645784 times)

snowdragon

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17685 on: September 12, 2013, 12:03:31 AM »
There is a child that comes to the local museum frequently who is called Nukette. pronounced Nuke -It.
Sigh

pwv

« Reply #17686 on: September 12, 2013, 06:13:57 AM »
I have been working on my genealogy and found a male relative named  Versal.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17687 on: September 12, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »

I can't decide if my "favorite" girls' name is Ermorine or Queechie. And actually, I do kind of like Rosalys--I think of it like "Rose Alice."

I like it too; however, I know someone with this name and they pronounce it "Rose Ah-leese"

Oh, that's awesome, I'll try to remember that! It struck me as a medieval Celtic kind of thing, like Gladys. Otherwise I was going to go with "rose uh liss," which is a little too close to "chrysalis" and morphing caterpillars for my taste. ;) But I like "rose uh LEESE" too.
~Lynn2000

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17688 on: September 12, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »

I can't decide if my "favorite" girls' name is Ermorine or Queechie. And actually, I do kind of like Rosalys--I think of it like "Rose Alice."

I like it too; however, I know someone with this name and they pronounce it "Rose Ah-leese"

Oh, that's awesome, I'll try to remember that! It struck me as a medieval Celtic kind of thing, like Gladys. Otherwise I was going to go with "rose uh liss," which is a little too close to "chrysalis" and morphing caterpillars for my taste. ;) But I like "rose uh LEESE" too.

I think "Chrysalis" is a lovely word (JRR Tolkien said the most beautiful word in the English language is "cellardoor.").
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

cwm

« Reply #17689 on: September 12, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »
Dee-Borah. Yes, that's a first name. Yes, it's a legal name. Yes, I wish I was joking about this.

Also, at my work we have three guys named Aaron. So one is Amick (his last name starts with Mc-), another is Ace (his first name starts with the letters Ce-) and the third is A-a-ron. Pronounced with two long a's. We don't get them mixed up too often with a system like that in place.

We also used to have four Chris's. One is no longer with the company, but three were Chris (one female, two male) and one is Kris. We still have to qualify which Chris/Kris we're talking about because nobody's come up with something clever for that yet.

faithlessone

« Reply #17690 on: September 12, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »
I swear that about 90% of the men I work with are called Mike, Lee or Kevin.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17691 on: September 12, 2013, 04:29:25 PM »

Also, at my work we have three guys named Aaron. So one is Amick (his last name starts with Mc-), another is Ace (his first name starts with the letters Ce-) and the third is A-a-ron. Pronounced with two long a's. We don't get them mixed up too often with a system like that in place.

We also used to have four Chris's. One is no longer with the company, but three were Chris (one female, two male) and one is Kris. We still have to qualify which Chris/Kris we're talking about because nobody's come up with something clever for that yet.

There were three Erics in my (co-ed) college dorm.  We called them Eric the Fruitbat, Eric the Half-a-Bee, and Schwa. Fruitbat, Half-Bee, and Schwa for short.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry

exitzero

« Reply #17693 on: September 13, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »

There were three Erics in my (co-ed) college dorm.  We called them Eric the Fruitbat, Eric the Half-a-Bee, and Schwa. Fruitbat, Half-Bee, and Schwa for short.

It might not be politically correct, but my boyfriend has three good friends named Robert, (no Bob, Bobby or Will for them!), so we keep them straight just between us as "Black Robert" "White Robert" and "Gay Robert".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:22:36 PM by exitzero »

lilfox

« Reply #17694 on: September 13, 2013, 07:20:37 PM »
I swear that about 90% of the men I work with are called Mike, Lee or Kevin.

We have a running joke at work that if you have to guess one of the lab guys' names, go with "Tom."  You'll be right more often than wrong.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #17695 on: September 13, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »
Oh gosh, you guys are reminding me of the bus drivers here. ;D

You see, there's several drivers with similar/identical names. There's three Steves (Steve, Redheaded Steve and Steve-o), there's Larry, Larry and Gary, there's a couple of Tims... (And then there's Crazy Pat, who is an utter riot, but he's the only Pat so never mind that.) It gets pretty interesting at times!
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Betelnut

« Reply #17696 on: September 13, 2013, 07:57:59 PM »
The recent quintuplets born:  Deniko, Dariz, Deonee, Daician and Daiten.

3 girls, 2 boys.  Which names go with which sex was not mentioned in the article.  The family already had three kids--all with "D" names also.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Carotte

« Reply #17697 on: September 13, 2013, 08:36:13 PM »
Well, this thread taught us that just because a name sounds a bit (or completedly) more girl than boy doesn't mean anything.  ::)
Proof of that, I would have guessed 2 girls (Deonee and Daiten)/3 boys, not the other way.

Betelnut

« Reply #17698 on: September 13, 2013, 08:54:50 PM »
Well, this thread taught us that just because a name sounds a bit (or completedly) more girl than boy doesn't mean anything.  ::)
Proof of that, I would have guessed 2 girls (Deonee and Daiten)/3 boys, not the other way.

I know.  I just googled some of the names and it was hit or miss whether these names are even names at all (until now that is!)  Deonee is the name of a male model, for example.

This is mean, but what is wrong with David, Debra, Dylan, Drake, Delaney, Dominick, Dominique, Delores, Drew, Dante, Denise and on and on and on?
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #17699 on: September 13, 2013, 09:35:30 PM »
My younger DD's middle name is Kevyn..pronounced like the boys name.  I found it in the girls section of a baby name book and it meant Peace..10 months before she was born (almost to the day) my beloved nephew Kevin passed away suddenly but had been suffering from a debilitating illness and I thought, what a way to honor such a great life especially as we knew he was at peace.  She loves when I tell her the story (although I have had some people tell me it was stupid  >:( >:( >:( )