Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1925073 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17715 on: September 19, 2013, 10:16:50 AM »
There was great hilarity in college when a female classmate named Michael received her draft notice.  This was back in 1968. 

Another classmate was named Michelly.  Since her last name was Kelly, she got engaged in her Senior year. 

I too prefer more gender-specific names.  They make life easier for all concerned. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:19:34 AM by Thipu1 »

Tea Drinker

« Reply #17716 on: September 19, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »
Got my DD's class list today from the teacher (lovely welcoming letter).  Along with the different spellings of common names (Jayson, Angelena) and the interesting names (Ryder, Jaycee, McKenna) there are the kids of foreign descent (our school has a high population of immigrants being brought here by a charity group from third world countries)..and I feel for the teachers having to say these names because I know I would just call them Frank.  There is Kavya (I got that one) Aung (think I may have that) and the twins (I kid you not ) Oluwatomiwa & Oluwatomisin.  And there is a kid ( a girl I think) in her grade named Ba Blu Moo.

I find this attitude of "weird foreign name! Not white! Must call them by white name!" to be incredibly offensive. Teachers,  like most people,  are capable of learning new names. Even "ethnic" ones.* Ethnic names are due the same respect as white names.

*Yes I understand there may be tones or clicks or sounds that you just cannot get quite right but that doesn't mean you don't try.

Yes. Or, if you really can't pronounce the person's name after a fair attempt, ask them if there's a short version or nickname you can use. Not "I'll just call you Frank" but maybe the person with the six-syllable name always goes by "Min" at home, or would be happy to be called "Flash." A lot of first-generation Chinese-Americans will say something like "Call me Tom" (or some other short Anglo name that is similar to their real name, or after someone they admire), but they're choosing something they're comfortable with. Someone who says "I'll just call you Frank" or even "Can I call you Frank?" when that's not the person's name might be picking the name of someone they hate--or it might be the nickname his older brother uses, and thus confusing.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17717 on: September 19, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »
An Indian co-worker of mine has an 8-syllable first name, and an easy two-syllable last name ("Dutta"). We call him "Dutta." I knew him for two years before I realized that wasn't his first name.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Teenyweeny

« Reply #17718 on: September 19, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »
An Indian co-worker of mine has an 8-syllable first name, and an easy two-syllable last name ("Dutta"). We call him "Dutta." I knew him for two years before I realized that wasn't his first name.

Yeah, I had a Sri Lankan coworker who went by her middle name because it was much closer to an anglo name than her first name was, and so much easier to pronounce. (Think Ruduth instead of Ruth, for example.)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #17719 on: September 19, 2013, 11:56:10 AM »
In my job I work with Insurance and Insurance Carriers.  I now know that absolute worst name to foist on a child.  "Test"
This person will spend their life being deleted from databases. 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17720 on: September 19, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »
In my job I work with Insurance and Insurance Carriers.  I now know that absolute worst name to foist on a child.  "Test"
This person will spend their life being deleted from databases. 

Maybe that was the idea. I knew a guy who gave all his children the same name, to confuse the big bad guys who monitor everything.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #17721 on: September 19, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
When I worked in a nursing home in the '70s, we had a male resident of French Canadian descent whose first name was Hyacinthe. (No, his last name was not Bucket or Bouquet.) His nickname was Hetty, which I've always thought of as a nickname for Henrietta. If I were a male Hyacinthe, I'd probably go by Hy.

Another French Canadian resident had a sister named Fernande, who went by Fern. Fernande was actually her middle name. All the girls in this large family had the first name Marie, and all the boys had the first name Joseph -- they went by their middle names.

I have only a nodding acquaintance with French, but it seems to be a fairly common French thing to feminize a male name by adding an E, or double the final consonant and then add an E (Jean --> Jeanne, Michel --> Michelle). Which isn't much different from what English speakers do when we feminize a male name by adding an A (Paula, Erica, Michaela). But it doesn't explain a man named Hyacinthe.

My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Curious Cat

« Reply #17722 on: September 19, 2013, 08:51:31 PM »
Oluwatomiwa & Oluwatomisin.
Ba Blu Moo

Ok, these make me think of the last song in the movie Grease, where they sing,
 We're for each other
Like a wop ba-ba lu-bop and wop bam boom
Just like my brother is
Sha-na-na-na-na-na-na-na yippity dip de doom
Chang chang chanitty chang sha-bop
We'll always be together
Wha oooh, yeah!

We'll always be together
We'll always be together
We'll always be together

Anyone else get that?

(sorry for the earworm!)

I find this incredibly offensive. Just because you aren't able to pronounce these names doesn't qualify them as jibberish.

It's also a perfect example of what TeenyWeeny was talking about (ironically only a few posts prior)
I'm growing increasingly uncomfortable with some of the 'funny' names submitted here.

Not to put too fine a point on it, a lot of the names are basically names (or naming conventions) associated with black communities. There have been many studies which show that such names hinder employment prospects, hinder chances of getting housing, and even cause children to be treated differently by teachers.

To say that sterotypically black names are 'funny' is highly problematic, and feeds into the kind of insidious urban legend we see exemplified in the tales of La-a, and the -jello twins.

I'm all for laughing at somebody who names their child 'Super T-Rex III', but I can't stand by and see the Shaniquas and DeShawns of this world being mocked because of their ethnic and cultural background.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:55:01 PM by Curious Cat »

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #17723 on: September 19, 2013, 08:59:49 PM »
I work with a group of refugees where english is probably their third or fourth language.  We have had two babies born within this group and they paid me the singular honour of naming both of the babies after me.  The thing is one of them was a boy. I suggested we pronounce his name Armand

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17724 on: September 19, 2013, 09:32:13 PM »
Oluwatomiwa & Oluwatomisin.

I find this incredibly offensive. Just because you aren't able to pronounce these names doesn't qualify them as jibberish.

Correct; they are Yoruban names. So unless you consider the Yoruba language to be gibberish......

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17725 on: September 19, 2013, 09:52:33 PM »
I knew a young woman named Adeola--I believe she (and the name) were Yoruban. I think it's lovely, and actually not hard to pronounce: addie-OH-luh. Interestingly, it seems to be a unisex name, as sometimes it's found on men as well. In some cultures it seems like a large number of the names can be used by either gender--Korean comes to mind, according to my Korean co-worker (though English baby name books insist upon sorting them into boy and girl sections).
~Lynn2000

zinzin

« Reply #17726 on: September 19, 2013, 10:05:22 PM »
It's a shame that people can be so small-minded as to not even respect someone enough to attempt their name. I agree as well that the focus on ethnic names as being "funny" or "weird" is deeply uncomfortable.

BB-VA

« Reply #17727 on: September 19, 2013, 10:14:34 PM »
A business I formerly worked for did an lot of dealing with a business in China.  Most of the  Chinese who had direct contact with our company used English names.  In fact, one of the contacts asked our president to choose a name for her.   He had his secretary going over dozens of names before they finally settled on one they thought was appropriate for her (they called her Crystal).
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Ereine

« Reply #17728 on: September 19, 2013, 10:33:52 PM »
 *inviteseller, I can see that you are frustrated by what is happening in your area but I fail to see what any of it has to do with the names themselves. I would assume that the problems would remain even if they came from a culture where everyone was called Frank. I can be wrong but I had assumed that the purpose of this thread was to be funny and lighthearted with stories of bizarre names (I just encountered a name that means "little orgasm" and there were no language or cultural differences), though there's also some mocking of stupid or silly naming practices (like getting name "meanings" from untrustwotrhy baby name books) which can probably sometimes get too meanspirited.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17729 on: September 19, 2013, 11:22:50 PM »
No one is expected to recognize names from different cultures immediately, specially in a thread that is filled with made up names. As far as I can remember (I have followed this thread from the beginning), no one has knowingly ridiculed a name because it is from a different culture, just from not knowing. If someone lists a name that you know is from a different culture, just enlighten us. I have done so several times in thread with names from Portuguese and many other posters have done the same with names from various cultures. I have not seen anyone either complain or continue after the explanation.