Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1845909 times)

cass2591

• Global Moderator
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17730 on: September 19, 2013, 11:38:49 PM »
*inviteseller, your statements concerning immigration, learning the language, etc is not only irrelevant to the thread but also racist and offensive. It is also a hot political issue so my advice to everyone is to move on.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17731 on: September 20, 2013, 12:11:45 AM »
From the 1906 book of baby names again, this time focusing on gender:

Florence, Marion, Shirley, and Vivian showed up on the lists for both boys and girls. In fact Marion was the name given to my great-aunt who was born around this time. I wonder if it was thought of as a "unisex" name at the time? Her older sister had the traditionally-feminine name of Katherine, but her younger sister was named Frances, so maybe her parents moved towards names of somewhat ambiguous gender on purpose? The brothers had traditionally-masculine names like Joseph and William.

Anyway, Evelyn and Frances were listed in the girls' section, and not in the boys' (even Francis). The girls' side also had the nickname Frankie; Merle, which I always associate with male singer Merle Haggard; and... Flavil. Like the mouse in An American Tale, right? Who was male. Possibly they spelled it Flavel. But there was no similar name on the boys' side of this book.

It was hard picking out names from the boys' list, because so many boys' names have been used for girls. Like the book had Emery for boys. Could you use it for a girl today? Sure, I think it would be cute, and I'm sure people have done it. But it's not like I saw it and thought, "Emery? Isn't that a girl's name?"

The boys' side had Carroll, Clare, Dana, Leslie, Lindsay, Sidney, and Tracy; none of these, even with a different spelling, were listed on the girls' side. The girls had Caroline and even just Caro, but no Carol; and also Clarice, Clara, Clarissa, and Claribel, but no Claire.
~Lynn2000

pwv

« Reply #17732 on: September 20, 2013, 04:58:13 AM »
Maury Povich's father was named Shirley, and he (Shirley) was on "I've Got a Secret" because he had been listed in the book "Who's Who of Famous Women."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17733 on: September 20, 2013, 08:55:07 AM »
John Wayne was born Marion and there's Joyce Kilmer who wrote 'Trees'. 

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #17734 on: September 20, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »
And then there's the actor Leslie Howard, who played Ashley Wilkes. :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17735 on: September 20, 2013, 01:19:58 PM »
Carroll O'Connor (Archie Bunker)
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #17736 on: September 20, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
John Wayne was born Marion and there's Joyce Kilmer who wrote 'Trees'.

So was my paternal grandfather.  So, I had to get used to women named Marion because I thought it was a man's name.

daen

« Reply #17737 on: September 20, 2013, 01:35:15 PM »

<snip>
Anyway, Evelyn and Frances were listed in the girls' section, and not in the boys' (even Francis). The girls' side also had the nickname Frankie; Merle, which I always associate with male singer Merle Haggard; and... Flavil. Like the mouse in An American Tale, right? Who was male. Possibly they spelled it Flavel. But there was no similar name on the boys' side of this book.
<snip>

According to imdb.com, the mouse in An American Tail is Fievel. I think it's a Yiddish name.

Jones

« Reply #17738 on: September 20, 2013, 01:43:34 PM »

<snip>
<snip>

According to imdb.com, the mouse in An American Tail is Fievel. I think it's a Yiddish name.
I was just getting ready to dig out my DVD and research this. You...er...saved me from rewatching a cartoon this evening.  :D

daen

« Reply #17739 on: September 20, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »

<snip>
<snip>

I was just getting ready to dig out my DVD and research this. You...er...saved me from rewatching a cartoon this evening.  :D

Yay! :D
or Sorry. :-[

Please select whichever is appropriate.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17740 on: September 20, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »

<snip>
<snip>

Yay! :D
or Sorry. :-[

Please select whichever is appropriate.

Oh, facepalm. Sorry! For getting the name wrong, I mean. I did actually meet a guy who was about 30 whose name was Flavel (with the E). He had been born and raised in America, but his parents were immigrants from Eastern Europe.
~Lynn2000

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17741 on: September 20, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »
Is this the Loughead book? It's widely considered unreliable.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #17742 on: September 20, 2013, 08:11:30 PM »
Hyacinth is originally a male name, in Greek; the flower name is taken from that. Does anyone reading this know enough French to know whether Hyacinth(e) is a flower-name in French as well as in English?
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Jones

« Reply #17743 on: September 20, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »
Hyacinth is originally a male name, in Greek; the flower name is taken from that. Does anyone reading this know enough French to know whether Hyacinth(e) is a flower-name in French as well as in English?

It's a male name in "Kushiel's Dart", but I don't know the author's basis for that.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #17744 on: September 20, 2013, 08:34:38 PM »

It's jacinthe in French, not hyacinth. :)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!