Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1640157 times)

daen

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17745 on: September 20, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »
From the 1906 book of baby names again, this time focusing on gender:

<snip>
Anyway, Evelyn and Frances were listed in the girls' section, and not in the boys' (even Francis). The girls' side also had the nickname Frankie; Merle, which I always associate with male singer Merle Haggard; and... Flavil. Like the mouse in An American Tale, right? Who was male. Possibly they spelled it Flavel. But there was no similar name on the boys' side of this book.
<snip>

According to imdb.com, the mouse in An American Tail is Fievel. I think it's a Yiddish name.
I was just getting ready to dig out my DVD and research this. You...er...saved me from rewatching a cartoon this evening.  :D

Yay! :D
or Sorry. :-[

Please select whichever is appropriate.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17746 on: September 20, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
From the 1906 book of baby names again, this time focusing on gender:

<snip>
Anyway, Evelyn and Frances were listed in the girls' section, and not in the boys' (even Francis). The girls' side also had the nickname Frankie; Merle, which I always associate with male singer Merle Haggard; and... Flavil. Like the mouse in An American Tale, right? Who was male. Possibly they spelled it Flavel. But there was no similar name on the boys' side of this book.
<snip>

According to imdb.com, the mouse in An American Tail is Fievel. I think it's a Yiddish name.
I was just getting ready to dig out my DVD and research this. You...er...saved me from rewatching a cartoon this evening.  :D

Yay! :D
or Sorry. :-[

Please select whichever is appropriate.

Oh, facepalm. Sorry! For getting the name wrong, I mean. I did actually meet a guy who was about 30 whose name was Flavel (with the E). He had been born and raised in America, but his parents were immigrants from Eastern Europe.
~Lynn2000

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17747 on: September 20, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »
Is this the Loughead book? It's widely considered unreliable.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #17748 on: September 20, 2013, 08:11:30 PM »
Hyacinth is originally a male name, in Greek; the flower name is taken from that. Does anyone reading this know enough French to know whether Hyacinth(e) is a flower-name in French as well as in English?
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Jones

« Reply #17749 on: September 20, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »
Hyacinth is originally a male name, in Greek; the flower name is taken from that. Does anyone reading this know enough French to know whether Hyacinth(e) is a flower-name in French as well as in English?

It's a male name in "Kushiel's Dart", but I don't know the author's basis for that.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #17750 on: September 20, 2013, 08:34:38 PM »

It's jacinthe in French, not hyacinth. :)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

lisen

« Reply #17751 on: September 20, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »

As a French-speaker, I can confirm this for you!

Hyacinthe is both a masculine and feminine name in French, though it is usually masculine. (It comes from the Greek name Hyacinthos.) The popular feminine variant in French is Jacinthe (pronounced Zha-saint). This comes from the popular Portugese Catholic apparition of Our Lady of Fatima, where the two girls who saw the apparition were called Jacinta and Lucia. Jacinta means "hyacinth" in Portugese, and Jacinthe was the French version of this popular saint's name. I must say that Hyacinthe is a very old-fashioned men's name. It would be like Winston in English.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #17752 on: September 22, 2013, 11:42:06 AM »
Most baby name books are unreliable, at least as far as what names actually mean, their origins, and when they were first introduced.  As a guide for what babies were being named at the time it was printed, it's as reliable as any other.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

Bethczar

« Reply #17753 on: September 22, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »
John Wayne was born Marion and there's Joyce Kilmer who wrote 'Trees'.

So was my paternal grandfather.  So, I had to get used to women named Marion because I thought it was a man's name.
My mother's middle name is Marion. She always complained that she had the male spelling. However, I have seen Marion far more often that Marian for females.

Another formerly male name is Jocelyn, often shortened to Joss. I've only seen it for girls recently.

iridaceae

« Reply #17754 on: September 23, 2013, 06:09:49 AM »
Most baby name books are unreliable, at least as far as what names actually mean, their origins, and when they were first introduced.  As a guide for what babies were being named at the time it was printed, it's as reliable as any other.

True. There are some I consider better than others* (my collection runs over 100 books) but I have seen the reputable books roundly dismiss Loughead (which,  yes,  I have a copy of).

*I consider any name book which says Nevaeh is "Slavic for butterfly" to be junk,  for example.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #17755 on: September 23, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »

True. There are some I consider better than others* (my collection runs over 100 books) but I have seen the reputable books roundly dismiss Loughead (which,  yes,  I have a copy of).

*I consider any name book which says Nevaeh is "Slavic for butterfly" to be junk,  for example.
Or that a name is "Celtic" or "Teutonic."  (I have a 1930 baby name book that uses both of those.  "German" was still not a popular designation.)

iridaceae

« Reply #17756 on: September 25, 2013, 08:35:16 AM »

Or that a name is "Celtic" or "Teutonic."  (I have a 1930 baby name book that uses both of those.  "German" was still not a popular designation.)

Winthrop Ames?

Rohanna

« Reply #17757 on: September 25, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »

It's jacinthe in French, not hyacinth. :)

In Portuguese it can be either - Jacinto for men and Jacinta for women.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #17758 on: September 25, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »

Winthrop Ames?
:)  Got it in one.

Editeer

« Reply #17759 on: September 25, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »
My father (born in 1926) is named Sidney, and it was not an unusual men's name at the time. He had several acquaintances, friends, etc. with the same name.