Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1845279 times)

Xandraea

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17760 on: September 25, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »
*snip*

A woman I went to school with recently had a son and named him Jak. Pronounced exactly like Jack. What on earth is the point of that? He'll be "Jack-without-a-c" for the rest of his life.

Maybe "Jack-without-a-c" could marry "Sara-no-h" and they'd name all their kids with traditional, non-U'neek names like Emily, Jennifer, Samantha, Aaron, Jacob, Robert, to spare their children having to constantly correct people on the spelling of their names.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #17761 on: September 25, 2013, 03:01:05 PM »
I heard an interesting one the other day:

Ian...

spelled "En"

Admittedly, if you say the letters out loud, does create the name "Ian", but that poor child will spend the rest of his life spelling his name!!!!!!!

squeakers

« Reply #17762 on: September 25, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
Sidney is still very much a male name in the UK. Whilst there might be one or two female Sidneys, it is overwhelmingly seen as an older mans name. Ashley is still a boys name here too. There are more female Ashleys than Sidneys but it is still seen as a perfectly acceptable boys name. I know several male Ashleys but no female ones.

I'll always think of Ash as a boys name, but I think I'm more likely to think of Ashley as a girls name.
Ash -> Ash Ketchum from Pokemon, Ashley -> Ashley Simpson (who I actually have no idea of who she is/what she does).
Ash Ketchum who was named Sacha in France, a name I don't really like and even though I know it's a perfectly valid boys name for me it's scream 'girl' because it ends with an 'A'.
Also, how on earth is Sacha and Sandy short for Alexander?  :o

Sacha, Sandy, Sasha all come from "Aleksander and Aleksandra" which is the original spelling that the nicknames derive from. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasha_(name)
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Betelnut

« Reply #17763 on: September 25, 2013, 03:42:47 PM »
I heard an interesting one the other day:

Ian...

spelled "En"

Admittedly, if you say the letters out loud, does create the name "Ian", but that poor child will spend the rest of his life spelling his name!!!!!!!

I would pronounce that like the letter "n" NOT like "Ian."
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Teenyweeny

« Reply #17764 on: September 25, 2013, 04:31:29 PM »
*snip*

A woman I went to school with recently had a son and named him Jak. Pronounced exactly like Jack. What on earth is the point of that? He'll be "Jack-without-a-c" for the rest of his life.

Maybe "Jack-without-a-c" could marry "Sara-no-h" and they'd name all their kids with traditional, non-U'neek names like Emily, Jennifer, Samantha, Aaron, Jacob, Robert, to spare their children having to constantly correct people on the spelling of their names.

Funnily enough, Sara and Sarah have completely different pronunciation in the UK, so I've never thought of that as a confusing one. Sara is pronouced like Zara, but with an S.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #17765 on: September 25, 2013, 05:34:47 PM »
*snip*

Funnily enough, Sara and Sarah have completely different pronunciation in the UK, so I've never thought of that as a confusing one. Sara is pronouced like Zara, but with an S.

How do you pronounce Sarah if not identically to Sara?  In my area (grew up in Texas, lived in Arizona, Kentucky, Georgia, and Texas over my lifetime - so USA South & Southwest) - the two words are identical to my ear.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #17766 on: September 25, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
*snip*

How do you pronounce Sarah if not identically to Sara?  In my area (grew up in Texas, lived in Arizona, Kentucky, Georgia, and Texas over my lifetime - so USA South & Southwest) - the two words are identical to my ear.

Sarah would be more like "SAY-ra" whereas Sara would be "SAW-ra", I think. (I've never heard them pronounced differently either, though!)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Teenyweeny

« Reply #17767 on: September 25, 2013, 08:08:46 PM »
*snip*

For Sarah,  the first syllable rhymes with bear. For Sara,  the first syllable rhymes with jar. They're two completely different names in the UK.  Which is why the US adaptation of A Little Princess (one of my favourite books as a child) always annoyed me. They were saying Sara's name wrong!  Well, that and they changed the ending.

BB-VA

« Reply #17768 on: September 25, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »
*snip*

Lifelong Virginian who went to school with a girl named Sarah.  Her mother, who had quite a strong deep South accent, called her SAYrah.  Everyboey else called her Sarah (first syllable rhyming with bear).
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #17769 on: September 26, 2013, 07:08:21 AM »
I know at least three guys--not terribly old nor young--with the name Stacey (or Stacy). I had always thought that a girls' name but apparently not!

Stacey Keach is a male actor with a good reputation.  He was a fixture on 'Cheers'.

I don't remember him on Cheers.  I do remember him from the title role in Mike Hammer, though.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17770 on: September 26, 2013, 07:27:24 AM »
I know at least three guys--not terribly old nor young--with the name Stacey (or Stacy). I had always thought that a girls' name but apparently not!

Stacey Keach is a male actor with a good reputation.  He was a fixture on 'Cheers'.

I don't remember him on Cheers.  I do remember him from the title role in Mike Hammer, though.
I remember his as the evil father in Titus.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17771 on: September 26, 2013, 07:47:09 AM »

I remember his as the evil father in Titus.

His father-Stacy Keach, Sr.- was an actor as well.

Really both are Walters; Stacy is their middle name.

The generally reliable behindthename.com says the masculine Stacy come from -as was my guess - Eustace.

Margo

« Reply #17772 on: September 26, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »
Sidney is still very much a male name in the UK. Whilst there might be one or two female Sidneys, it is overwhelmingly seen as an older mans name. Ashley is still a boys name here too. There are more female Ashleys than Sidneys but it is still seen as a perfectly acceptable boys name. I know several male Ashleys but no female ones.

You beat me to it! If I saw 'Sidney' I would assume the owner was male
The only time I;ve ever come across it as a female name it's been spelled Sydney.

Ashley could be either, but often spelled Ashleigh when it is a girl, Ashley for a boy.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #17773 on: September 26, 2013, 08:37:48 AM »

This is 99.9% true, with the exception of yours truly, because I am just that special. :P

Blame the parents: I never asked for this. Mum wanted 'Sarah'. Dad, for some bizarre reason, disliked the 'H' and wanted 'Sara'. Their brilliant compromise was a name 'spelt-Sara-but-pronounced-Sarah' (because that wouldn't result in their daughter spending a lifetime correcting people on spelling and pronunciation at all...). ::)

Lynn2000

« Reply #17774 on: September 26, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »
Doing family history research, I find that people in the past were often rather casual about spelling names anyway. So many times I've seen "Francis" on census records as a daughter's name, when I would have called that the male spelling, with Frances being the female. Of course that's pretty nitpicky, as I've never heard there's even a pronunciation difference.

And if anyone had an unusual name for the time, it got repeatedly mangled on official documents. I have a distant relative whose "real" name I don't even know--I think it's Candace. That doesn't seem too weird to me, even if she was born in the early 1800s--I think it's from the Bible, some kind of geographic name. On one record she was Candace, but I've also found her as Canditia, Candida, Canada, Candaca, and lots of "Can-" scribble scribble like the reporter just gave up. It's actually a good marker to make sure I've gotten the right person!

Anyone who tried to be Taelyr would probably be looked at like they were a loon. Even legit surnames that no one really "chose" got mangled sometimes--Smith/Smithe/Smyth/Smythe could all be the same person. Though, I had a great aunt named Emilie, and I've heard that she came down like a ton of bricks on people who misspelled her name as Emily, thus once she's an adult it's always -ie in the records...
~Lynn2000