Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1835450 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17775 on: September 26, 2013, 03:17:12 PM »
Doing family history research, I find that people in the past were often rather casual about spelling names anyway. So many times I've seen "Francis" on census records as a daughter's name, when I would have called that the male spelling, with Frances being the female. Of course that's pretty nitpicky, as I've never heard there's even a pronunciation difference.
You can't rely on some census data AT ALL!  In the 1930 census, DH found his father's family with no problem.  Combination of two extremely rare names for his grandmother, and the right address, confirmed that he had the right family.  All of FIL's brothers were there too, right names and ages -- but 7yo FIL wasn't.  Instead he was reported as a 7yo GIRL, with a name that began with the same letter but was not even similar otherwise.  Think 'Debbie' instead of 'David.'   :o
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pen^2

« Reply #17776 on: September 26, 2013, 03:24:24 PM »
Today, I met a little girl called "Sonny". Not "Sunny", which would be perhaps more acceptable. "Sonny". It's not a foreign name that sounds wrong in English. No, the parents named her after a friend of theirs who, I'm guessing, was not of the same gender as their daughter. ::)

ScubaGirl

« Reply #17777 on: September 26, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
Some weirdish ones that are examples of perfectly normal spelled names that the parents decided to pronounce different.

Cheryl pronounced Chair-ul, with the ch like in chair, change, chance

Deborah pronounced Dee-Bore-ah

Each of these ladies are at least 40-50 years old.

This is a little old but I wanted to say that to my knowledge, "Deborah" was originally pronounced "Dee-Bore-ah".  That is the biblical pronunciation of that name.  So I'm not surprised that a woman in her 40s/50s pronounces it that way.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17778 on: September 26, 2013, 04:45:14 PM »
...   This is a little old but I wanted to say that to my knowledge, "Deborah" was originally pronounced "Dee-Bore-ah".  That is the biblical pronunciation of that name.  So I'm not surprised that a woman in her 40s/50s pronounces it that way.

I'm in my seventies and have never heard the name pronounced Dee-Bore'-ah. 

But my MIL used to talk about a friend of hers named Puh mell'ah.  Then one day I saw the name in a signature on a card Puhmellah had sent to my MIL. 

Yep.  Pamela.

Bethczar

« Reply #17779 on: September 26, 2013, 06:46:16 PM »
Doing family history research, I find that people in the past were often rather casual about spelling names anyway. So many times I've seen "Francis" on census records as a daughter's name, when I would have called that the male spelling, with Frances being the female. Of course that's pretty nitpicky, as I've never heard there's even a pronunciation difference.
I've always heard it the other way around - Frances is male, Francis is female. It's all moot these days anyways.

Addy

« Reply #17780 on: September 26, 2013, 08:16:25 PM »
I've always heard it the other way around - Frances is male, Francis is female. It's all moot these days anyways.

I've always heard it Lynn2000's way. As in St. Francis, Pope Francis (both male) and Lady Diana Frances Spencer and my best friend's mom, Frances, both female.  ;D

BB-VA

« Reply #17781 on: September 26, 2013, 10:32:02 PM »

My mother was Frances, and called Fran or Franny.  Fran Tarkenton kind of boggled my mind (that's a GIRL'S name to my younger brain).
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

BB-VA

« Reply #17782 on: September 26, 2013, 10:34:41 PM »

I remember his as the evil father in Titus.

His father-Stacy Keach, Sr.- was an actor as well.

Really both are Walters; Stacy is their middle name.

The generally reliable behindthename.com says the masculine Stacy come from -as was my guess - Eustace.

In Lenora Mattingly Weber's Katie Rose/Stacy Belford series, the girls had an Aunt Eustace, and Stacy was her namesake.  In one of the later books, Stacy explained that it should have been Eustacia, but they followed the English custom of giving girls opposite sex names (like boys named Vivian and girls named, well, Eustace).
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

ScubaGirl

« Reply #17783 on: September 27, 2013, 09:40:46 AM »
...   This is a little old but I wanted to say that to my knowledge, "Deborah" was originally pronounced "Dee-Bore-ah".  That is the biblical pronunciation of that name.  So I'm not surprised that a woman in her 40s/50s pronounces it that way.

I'm in my seventies and have never heard the name pronounced Dee-Bore'-ah. 

But my MIL used to talk about a friend of hers named Puh mell'ah.  Then one day I saw the name in a signature on a card Puhmellah had sent to my MIL. 

Yep.  Pamela.

Maybe it is regional?  My grandmother used to pronounce Deborah that way, although she was told by my cousin's parents they weren't pronouncing it like that.  (But once Grandma found out my cousin didn't like "Dee-Bore-Ah" she made a point of saying it every so often - Grandma was fun like that, she didn't care for girls.)

Bethczar

« Reply #17784 on: September 27, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »
Well, maybe I have it backwards, then. I don't know any Frans to ask.

I've always heard it Lynn2000's way. As in St. Francis, Pope Francis (both male) and Lady Diana Frances Spencer and my best friend's mom, Frances, both female.  ;D

daen

« Reply #17785 on: September 30, 2013, 03:17:42 PM »
Funnily enough, Sara and Sarah have completely different pronunciation in the UK, so I've never thought of that as a confusing one. Sara is pronouced like Zara, but with an S.

This is 99.9% true, with the exception of yours truly, because I am just that special. :P

Blame the parents: I never asked for this. Mum wanted 'Sarah'. Dad, for some bizarre reason, disliked the 'H' and wanted 'Sara'. Their brilliant compromise was a name 'spelt-Sara-but-pronounced-Sarah' (because that wouldn't result in their daughter spending a lifetime correcting people on spelling and pronunciation at all...). ::)

Locally, both Sara & Sarah are assumed to be pronounced SAIR-ah if you speak English, ZAH-rah if you speak German (or your parents do), so it's a case-by-case basis.
There was a Sahra I knew once upon a time, and I assumed that it was someone's attempt to force the German (ZAH-rah) pronunciation. I found out after a few years of calling and asking for "Zahrah" that it was "SAIR-ah", because her mom thought that was how it was always spelled.

Oops. At least she thought it was funny.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17786 on: September 30, 2013, 04:47:27 PM »
My uncle (~65yrs) told me the other day that he grew up knowing two brothers whose names were Brick and Brace. Their dad was a bricklayer, and they have both gone into the construction business as well. They kind of stood out in their small town.  :P
~Lynn2000

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17787 on: October 01, 2013, 05:33:32 AM »
Currently in the news where I live, an 18 year old girl is accused of murdering her mother (a profesional clown and stiltwalker). The girl's first three names are "Phoenix Racing Cloud".
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #17788 on: October 01, 2013, 09:30:15 AM »
Currently in the news where I live, an 18 year old girl is accused of murdering her mother (a profesional clown and stiltwalker). The girl's first three names are "Phoenix Racing Cloud".

Sounds like self-defense.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

pwv

« Reply #17789 on: October 05, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »
Bride on "Say Yes To The Dress" :

Queen Precious-Jewel Earth (lastname)