Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1951552 times)

Flibbertigibbet

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17790 on: October 07, 2013, 06:07:18 AM »
A lady in the hong kong office of a company i used to work for was called 'chlorophyll'. I did look her up on the website to see if she was in fact green, but alas the photo was in black and white so the result was inconclusive...;)

mime

« Reply #17791 on: October 07, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »
My mom used to work in an elementary school (I've volunteered there as well). 'Status' names (as we came to call them) were common: Diamond, Champagne, Platinum...

Then there was Felony.

The police were called to the school more than once for her out-of-control behavior. I guess the name was a bit prophetic.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17792 on: October 07, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »

Then there was Felony.

The police were called to the school more than once for her out-of-control behavior. I guess the name was a bit prophetic.

Or the opposite.  A name to live up to?

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #17793 on: October 08, 2013, 06:06:37 PM »
Oluwatomiwa & Oluwatomisin.

I find this incredibly offensive. Just because you aren't able to pronounce these names doesn't qualify them as jibberish.

Correct; they are Yoruban names. So unless you consider the Yoruba language to be gibberish......

Since you seem to know the language these names come from(and I mean no offense asking this, I just can't seem to work it out myself) could you give the phonetic pronouciation of those names?

It's driving me nuts.

Our school had a policy for 'difficult' ethnic names. They asked the child/teen to say their name slowly to the office secretary, who wrote it out phonetically and sent it with the kid's papers to their teachers. Occasionally the fore mentioned phonetics had to be shared with the fellow students. And once a name so stumped the school (it had nine syllables and some had no vowels.) that the student herself took pity on the school and decided to go by "Min".
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Curious Cat

« Reply #17794 on: October 08, 2013, 06:28:47 PM »

I find this incredibly offensive. Just because you aren't able to pronounce these names doesn't qualify them as jibberish.

Correct; they are Yoruban names. So unless you consider the Yoruba language to be gibberish......

Since you seem to know the language these names come from(and I mean no offense asking this, I just can't seem to work it out myself) could you give the phonetic pronouciation of those names?

It's driving me nuts.

Our school had a policy for 'difficult' ethnic names. They asked the child/teen to say their name slowly to the office secretary, who wrote it out phonetically and sent it with the kid's papers to their teachers. Occasionally the fore mentioned phonetics had to be shared with the fellow students. And once a name so stumped the school (it had nine syllables and some had no vowels.) that the student herself took pity on the school and decided to go by "Min".

For the record I don't find the names incredibly offensive - there was much more to the post that I'm assuming was edited out because it isn't relevent to the pronunciation.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #17795 on: October 08, 2013, 10:30:13 PM »
Here's an interesting scenario:

Friends of mine have just had their second child. Their eldest daughter's name is (let's say) "Rebecca Hannah Smith". Their second daughter's name is "Hannah Madeline Smith"

What do you guys think of this - having your second child's first name the same as your first child's middle name?

I have mixed thoughts. It's sweet that the sisters share a name. But I think it would have worked better if both sisters had Hannah as their middle name (so the younger was Madeline Hannah Smith). To me, it's like "Hannah" didn't make the cut as the elder daughter's first name, but it was "good enough" for the younger daughter's first name.

Thoughts?

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #17796 on: October 09, 2013, 12:01:45 AM »
Here's an interesting scenario:

Friends of mine have just had their second child. Their eldest daughter's name is (let's say) "Rebecca Hannah Smith". Their second daughter's name is "Hannah Madeline Smith"

What do you guys think of this - having your second child's first name the same as your first child's middle name?

I have mixed thoughts. It's sweet that the sisters share a name. But I think it would have worked better if both sisters had Hannah as their middle name (so the younger was Madeline Hannah Smith). To me, it's like "Hannah" didn't make the cut as the elder daughter's first name, but it was "good enough" for the younger daughter's first name.

Thoughts?

I personally think that children deserve to have their own identities as much as possible while still being connected to the family. If violinp and I had similar names, I probably would have changed my name when I was legally able to do so. Unless it's meant to start a family tradition, like every kid of the same gender gets the same first name and is called by the middle name, I think that the children's names need to be separate enough that they can be seen as their own person.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17797 on: October 09, 2013, 05:49:36 AM »
It reminds me of my great-grandfather and one of his brothers...imaginatively named William Henry and Henry William. We thought the census goofed and named great grandfather twice until I ran across the other one's (highly unusual last name so I know it isn't a stranger I found) marriage announcement. He married someone who was definitely not my great grandmother and lived at the other end of the state- my great grandfather lived in his same house all his life.

cwm

« Reply #17798 on: October 09, 2013, 10:39:16 AM »
I saw a few more in the course of work lately. Ransom and Lacresha.

Ransom is just not a name. (Well, apparently it is, so whatever.) It's weird. Why would you want to name your child that?

Lucretia/Lucrezia is a perfectly beautiful name, but when I see Lacresha I think lah-cresh-uh. It doesn't even seem like it would sound the same to me.

Carotte

« Reply #17799 on: October 09, 2013, 11:01:01 AM »
And to think that the little Ahhneastiy Lyyn that started this thread is around 5 y/old now, at least she probably has so many little friends with unique names that she doesn't feel so alone  ::)

mime

« Reply #17800 on: October 09, 2013, 12:13:46 PM »

It's driving me nuts.

The school where I volunteered did this, too. I remember the name "Qij", was pronounced "EE-ah", which I think sounds kind of sweet. I have no idea if the name was common or not in that student's native culture, but I would have tried many many pronounciations for Qij before ever considering EE-ah!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17801 on: October 09, 2013, 07:33:49 PM »
And to think that the little Ahhneastiy Lyyn that started this thread is around 5 y/old now, at least she probably has so many little friends with unique names that she doesn't feel so alone  ::)

Hopefully Maggie can come in and give us an update on that, whether they actually named the baby that or not

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #17802 on: October 09, 2013, 09:48:04 PM »

Hopefully Maggie can come in and give us an update on that, whether they actually named the baby that or not

She did, a while ago - and yes they went for it!

Ahhneastiy or however they spell it is doing great and that is exactly what they named her! 
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17803 on: October 09, 2013, 09:50:04 PM »

She did, a while ago - and yes they went for it!

Ahhneastiy or however they spell it is doing great and that is exactly what they named her! 

I just.... *shakes head* what a name.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #17804 on: October 09, 2013, 10:04:59 PM »
I wonder if that other poster (can't recall the name) ended up calling her daughter Miichael?