Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1918335 times)

dawnfire

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17805 on: October 09, 2013, 10:14:09 PM »
Oluwatomiwa & Oluwatomisin.

I find this incredibly offensive. Just because you aren't able to pronounce these names doesn't qualify them as jibberish.

Correct; they are Yoruban names. So unless you consider the Yoruba language to be gibberish......

Since you seem to know the language these names come from(and I mean no offense asking this, I just can't seem to work it out myself) could you give the phonetic pronouciation of those names?

It's driving me nuts.

Our school had a policy for 'difficult' ethnic names. They asked the child/teen to say their name slowly to the office secretary, who wrote it out phonetically and sent it with the kid's papers to their teachers. Occasionally the fore mentioned phonetics had to be shared with the fellow students. And once a name so stumped the school (it had nine syllables and some had no vowels.) that the student herself took pity on the school and decided to go by "Min".

my school also asked if they'd like to be known as something else.  Grazia and Lucia were Grace and Lucy and immacolata was known as Tina . (You can kinda get that I went to a catholic girls school)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17806 on: October 10, 2013, 08:24:25 AM »
I wonder if that other poster (can't recall the name) ended up calling her daughter Miichael?

Yes, she also came back and updated a while back.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17807 on: October 10, 2013, 11:35:38 AM »
Here's an interesting scenario:

Friends of mine have just had their second child. Their eldest daughter's name is (let's say) "Rebecca Hannah Smith". Their second daughter's name is "Hannah Madeline Smith"

What do you guys think of this - having your second child's first name the same as your first child's middle name?

I have mixed thoughts. It's sweet that the sisters share a name. But I think it would have worked better if both sisters had Hannah as their middle name (so the younger was Madeline Hannah Smith). To me, it's like "Hannah" didn't make the cut as the elder daughter's first name, but it was "good enough" for the younger daughter's first name.

Thoughts?

Well, personally I'm not a fan, as I like names way too much to ever use the same one over again for a second child. But, I think it's more common than one might think. I have a friend my age (~30) who is Jayne Ann Smith (called "Jayne Ann"). Her younger sister is Katie Jane Smith (called "Katie"). Their mother is Marcia Jane Smith (called "Marcy"). Yes, there are two different spellings of Jane involved (same pronunciation). No, I don't really have a good explanation for it. I have to say that my friend is also interested in names and for the most part, really enjoys that she and her sister and mom share a name, even if she has no intention of replicating that with her own children.

I'm always curious about the thought process behind such things. Is it something about the repeated name that the parent really loves, so they're using it in these different permutations? Does it somehow seem like a different thing to them, because they've used it in a different position or perhaps changed the spelling slightly? Since I really like names and think about them a lot, I sometimes forget that other people don't always do that; and honestly, Jayne Ann and Katie Jane is way better, IMO, than naming your child something negative like Felony.
~Lynn2000

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17808 on: October 10, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »
And then there's the twins, Dear Abby & Ann Landers, whose real names were Esther Pauline and Pauline Esther. They went by "Eppie" and"Popo."
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17809 on: October 10, 2013, 03:38:14 PM »
And then there's the twins, Dear Abby & Ann Landers, whose real names were Esther Pauline and Pauline Esther. They went by "Eppie" and"Popo."

A family sort of related to us likes to reuse names.
The grandfather was Stacey Edward and was named after his two GF's.
He named his two sons Stacey Ray and Kevin Edward.
Grandsons are Stacey Kevin and Edward Ray.

It'll be another 10 or so years before we find out if the tradition will remain.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #17810 on: October 10, 2013, 04:06:21 PM »

Friends of mine have just had their second child. Their eldest daughter's name is (let's say) "Rebecca Hannah Smith". Their second daughter's name is "Hannah Madeline Smith"

What do you guys think of this - having your second child's first name the same as your first child's middle name?

I have mixed thoughts. It's sweet that the sisters share a name. But I think it would have worked better if both sisters had Hannah as their middle name (so the younger was Madeline Hannah Smith). To me, it's like "Hannah" didn't make the cut as the elder daughter's first name, but it was "good enough" for the younger daughter's first name.

Thoughts?

Well, personally I'm not a fan, as I like names way too much to ever use the same one over again for a second child. But, I think it's more common than one might think. I have a friend my age (~30) who is Jayne Ann Smith (called "Jayne Ann"). Her younger sister is Katie Jane Smith (called "Katie"). Their mother is Marcia Jane Smith (called "Marcy"). Yes, there are two different spellings of Jane involved (same pronunciation). No, I don't really have a good explanation for it. I have to say that my friend is also interested in names and for the most part, really enjoys that she and her sister and mom share a name, even if she has no intention of replicating that with her own children.

I'm always curious about the thought process behind such things. Is it something about the repeated name that the parent really loves, so they're using it in these different permutations? Does it somehow seem like a different thing to them, because they've used it in a different position or perhaps changed the spelling slightly? Since I really like names and think about them a lot, I sometimes forget that other people don't always do that; and honestly, Jayne Ann and Katie Jane is way better, IMO, than naming your child something negative like Felony.

My mother, sister and I share the same middle name.  I love it.  I know I wouldn't be any closer to them if we had different middle names but there is something about it that I like.   Three of my six neices also share the same middle name (2 nieces are sisters).  My sister changed her last name when she got married (I did not) so that middle name still connects us.  If I had had children, any daughters would have been given the same name as well.

However, the main reason my mom named us with the same middle name is that she didn't care for her mother or her MIL.  There was no way she was going to name one of us after either of them.  My 3 brothers' middle names are from the 2 grandfathers and my dad. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17811 on: October 10, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »
My father and his sister and brother have the same middle name.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17812 on: October 10, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »
My ancestors, generations ago, had a very limited sense of naming. ::) One branch got obsessed with the name Henry. So there would be THREE brothers all with the first name Henry, who all lived to adulthood. Henry William Smith, Henry James Smith, Henry Thaddeus Smith. It seems like they often went by their middle names, but as they got older and spread out, sometimes they would fill out official forms as just "Henry Smith" and then you're left wondering, which one?? And then of course, each Henry would name two or three of his own sons Henry as well. ::) I just don't get it.

Here's something a friend of mine is doing. She's Amy Adams, and she's married to Bob Barker. When she got married, she chose to keep her original name. Okay. So they have their first child, and his name is Carl Barker (dad's surname). Now they're having their second and final child, and they plan to name him David Adams (mom's surname). Actually they don't know if #2 is a boy or girl, but regardless, its surname will be Adams (mom's). So in the household will be an adult and child named Adams, and an adult and child named Barker. What do you guys think of this plan?
~Lynn2000

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17813 on: October 10, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »

Since you seem to know the language these names come from(and I mean no offense asking this, I just can't seem to work it out myself) could you give the phonetic pronouciation of those names?

It's driving me nuts.

I don't actually know Yoruba; I just knew that the names looked Nigerian so I looked them up and found they are Yoruba names. Google might be able to help you.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17814 on: October 10, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »
My ancestors, generations ago, had a very limited sense of naming. ::) One branch got obsessed with the name Henry. So there would be THREE brothers all with the first name Henry, who all lived to adulthood. Henry William Smith, Henry James Smith, Henry Thaddeus Smith. It seems like they often went by their middle names, but as they got older and spread out, sometimes they would fill out official forms as just "Henry Smith" and then you're left wondering, which one?? And then of course, each Henry would name two or three of his own sons Henry as well. ::) I just don't get it.
It was common, in some places and times, to name your child for its godparent.  So if you had a rich Uncle Henry, you would ask him to be the godparent for your children.   Godparents were expected to make substantial gifts to their godchildren, both while they were alive and as a mention in their Wills. Especially if Uncle Henry didn't have offspring of his own.  ;)  So maybe Uncle Henry would adopt YOUR Henry (or one of your Henrys) as his heir.   

And "Henry" written out several times in this missive begins to take on a strange weirdness of its own...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #17815 on: October 10, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »
From last weekend:

K'la.

I'm hoping that her mother is a die-hard Trekkie who is in love with Klingon names, but I think it is probably pronounced "Kayla".

/headdesk

Luki

• Imagination is Reality's Chain
« Reply #17816 on: October 11, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »

Thoughts?

My mother, sister and I share the same middle name.  I love it.  I know I wouldn't be any closer to them if we had different middle names but there is something about it that I like.   Three of my six neices also share the same middle name (2 nieces are sisters).  My sister changed her last name when she got married (I did not) so that middle name still connects us.  If I had had children, any daughters would have been given the same name as well.

However, the main reason my mom named us with the same middle name is that she didn't care for her mother or her MIL.  There was no way she was going to name one of us after either of them.  My 3 brothers' middle names are from the 2 grandfathers and my dad.

Personally, I'd say it would depend on whether or not the name 'Hannah' had significance to their family.  My Dad and Uncle have the same names, only swapped round (think 'John Michael' and 'Michael John').  But Michael and John are what boys in my Dad's side of the family have been named for at least 5 generations (seen the family tree, and this sort of swap around with names happened A LOT).  My brother even has 'John' for his middle name.

But if the name has that kind of history, I can completely understand someone using it for both their children.  However if they just really like the name, I'm not entirely sure I'd agree with it.

audhs

« Reply #17817 on: October 11, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
I had a friend who's parents did the give on child dad's last name and one moms thing and she hated it. She hated it even more when her mother remarried and then changed her last name to her new husbands.  So both kids and mom all had different last names, people were always confused about who belonged to who and if they were full or half siblings.

When she was in high school, she hyphenated her mom and dad's names and said that she couldn't wait to get married change her last name to her husbands and leave the whole mess behind.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17818 on: October 11, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »
It was common, in some places and times, to name your child for its godparent.  So if you had a rich Uncle Henry, you would ask him to be the godparent for your children.   Godparents were expected to make substantial gifts to their godchildren, both while they were alive and as a mention in their Wills. Especially if Uncle Henry didn't have offspring of his own.  ;)  So maybe Uncle Henry would adopt YOUR Henry (or one of your Henrys) as his heir.   

And "Henry" written out several times in this missive begins to take on a strange weirdness of its own...

Hey, with that kind of motivation, I might name several of my kids Henry, too! ;) In my particular case my family were all poor farmers, however, so if there was some kind of benevolent godparent involved in the decision, it was much more of an emotional/spiritual tie than a financial one.
~Lynn2000

cwm

« Reply #17819 on: October 11, 2013, 10:13:07 AM »

Hey, with that kind of motivation, I might name several of my kids Henry, too! ;) In my particular case my family were all poor farmers, however, so if there was some kind of benevolent godparent involved in the decision, it was much more of an emotional/spiritual tie than a financial one.

Yes, but you have at least eight of them, so one of them could be Henry the Eighth?  ;)