Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1643562 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17820 on: October 10, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »
My ancestors, generations ago, had a very limited sense of naming. ::) One branch got obsessed with the name Henry. So there would be THREE brothers all with the first name Henry, who all lived to adulthood. Henry William Smith, Henry James Smith, Henry Thaddeus Smith. It seems like they often went by their middle names, but as they got older and spread out, sometimes they would fill out official forms as just "Henry Smith" and then you're left wondering, which one?? And then of course, each Henry would name two or three of his own sons Henry as well. ::) I just don't get it.
It was common, in some places and times, to name your child for its godparent.  So if you had a rich Uncle Henry, you would ask him to be the godparent for your children.   Godparents were expected to make substantial gifts to their godchildren, both while they were alive and as a mention in their Wills. Especially if Uncle Henry didn't have offspring of his own.  ;)  So maybe Uncle Henry would adopt YOUR Henry (or one of your Henrys) as his heir.   

And "Henry" written out several times in this missive begins to take on a strange weirdness of its own...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #17821 on: October 10, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »
From last weekend:

K'la.

I'm hoping that her mother is a die-hard Trekkie who is in love with Klingon names, but I think it is probably pronounced "Kayla".

/headdesk

Luki

• Imagination is Reality's Chain
« Reply #17822 on: October 11, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »
Here's an interesting scenario:

Friends of mine have just had their second child. Their eldest daughter's name is (let's say) "Rebecca Hannah Smith". Their second daughter's name is "Hannah Madeline Smith"

What do you guys think of this - having your second child's first name the same as your first child's middle name?

I have mixed thoughts. It's sweet that the sisters share a name. But I think it would have worked better if both sisters had Hannah as their middle name (so the younger was Madeline Hannah Smith). To me, it's like "Hannah" didn't make the cut as the elder daughter's first name, but it was "good enough" for the younger daughter's first name.

Thoughts?

Well, personally I'm not a fan, as I like names way too much to ever use the same one over again for a second child. But, I think it's more common than one might think. I have a friend my age (~30) who is Jayne Ann Smith (called "Jayne Ann"). Her younger sister is Katie Jane Smith (called "Katie"). Their mother is Marcia Jane Smith (called "Marcy"). Yes, there are two different spellings of Jane involved (same pronunciation). No, I don't really have a good explanation for it. I have to say that my friend is also interested in names and for the most part, really enjoys that she and her sister and mom share a name, even if she has no intention of replicating that with her own children.

I'm always curious about the thought process behind such things. Is it something about the repeated name that the parent really loves, so they're using it in these different permutations? Does it somehow seem like a different thing to them, because they've used it in a different position or perhaps changed the spelling slightly? Since I really like names and think about them a lot, I sometimes forget that other people don't always do that; and honestly, Jayne Ann and Katie Jane is way better, IMO, than naming your child something negative like Felony.

My mother, sister and I share the same middle name.  I love it.  I know I wouldn't be any closer to them if we had different middle names but there is something about it that I like.   Three of my six neices also share the same middle name (2 nieces are sisters).  My sister changed her last name when she got married (I did not) so that middle name still connects us.  If I had had children, any daughters would have been given the same name as well.

However, the main reason my mom named us with the same middle name is that she didn't care for her mother or her MIL.  There was no way she was going to name one of us after either of them.  My 3 brothers' middle names are from the 2 grandfathers and my dad.

Personally, I'd say it would depend on whether or not the name 'Hannah' had significance to their family.  My Dad and Uncle have the same names, only swapped round (think 'John Michael' and 'Michael John').  But Michael and John are what boys in my Dad's side of the family have been named for at least 5 generations (seen the family tree, and this sort of swap around with names happened A LOT).  My brother even has 'John' for his middle name.

But if the name has that kind of history, I can completely understand someone using it for both their children.  However if they just really like the name, I'm not entirely sure I'd agree with it.

audhs

« Reply #17823 on: October 11, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
I had a friend who's parents did the give on child dad's last name and one moms thing and she hated it. She hated it even more when her mother remarried and then changed her last name to her new husbands.  So both kids and mom all had different last names, people were always confused about who belonged to who and if they were full or half siblings.

When she was in high school, she hyphenated her mom and dad's names and said that she couldn't wait to get married change her last name to her husbands and leave the whole mess behind.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17824 on: October 11, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »
My ancestors, generations ago, had a very limited sense of naming. ::) One branch got obsessed with the name Henry. So there would be THREE brothers all with the first name Henry, who all lived to adulthood. Henry William Smith, Henry James Smith, Henry Thaddeus Smith. It seems like they often went by their middle names, but as they got older and spread out, sometimes they would fill out official forms as just "Henry Smith" and then you're left wondering, which one?? And then of course, each Henry would name two or three of his own sons Henry as well. ::) I just don't get it.
It was common, in some places and times, to name your child for its godparent.  So if you had a rich Uncle Henry, you would ask him to be the godparent for your children.   Godparents were expected to make substantial gifts to their godchildren, both while they were alive and as a mention in their Wills. Especially if Uncle Henry didn't have offspring of his own.  ;)  So maybe Uncle Henry would adopt YOUR Henry (or one of your Henrys) as his heir.   

And "Henry" written out several times in this missive begins to take on a strange weirdness of its own...

Hey, with that kind of motivation, I might name several of my kids Henry, too! ;) In my particular case my family were all poor farmers, however, so if there was some kind of benevolent godparent involved in the decision, it was much more of an emotional/spiritual tie than a financial one.
~Lynn2000

cwm

« Reply #17825 on: October 11, 2013, 10:13:07 AM »

Hey, with that kind of motivation, I might name several of my kids Henry, too! ;) In my particular case my family were all poor farmers, however, so if there was some kind of benevolent godparent involved in the decision, it was much more of an emotional/spiritual tie than a financial one.

Yes, but you have at least eight of them, so one of them could be Henry the Eighth?  ;)

Lynn2000

« Reply #17826 on: October 11, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »

Yes, but you have at least eight of them, so one of them could be Henry the Eighth?  ;)

LOL! Wasn't it George Foreman who named all his sons George, and called them by number? Or is that just a myth?
~Lynn2000

Carotte

« Reply #17827 on: October 11, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »
Here's something a friend of mine is doing. She's Amy Adams, and she's married to Bob Barker. When she got married, she chose to keep her original name. Okay. So they have their first child, and his name is Carl Barker (dad's surname). Now they're having their second and final child, and they plan to name him David Adams (mom's surname). Actually they don't know if #2 is a boy or girl, but regardless, its surname will be Adams (mom's). So in the household will be an adult and child named Adams, and an adult and child named Barker. What do you guys think of this plan?

That sounds more confusing than anything else. Like a previous poster said, you're left wondering if they're full sibling and stuff like that.
Hyphenating is not always the best solution down the road ( If Mary Smith-Johnson and Joey Barker-Turner have a kid, is it Ethan Smith-Johnson-Baker-Turner?) but with two 'shorts' name it does seems better. Then the kid/adult will decide by what to go when he'll have to.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17828 on: October 11, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »
Here's something a friend of mine is doing. She's Amy Adams, and she's married to Bob Barker. When she got married, she chose to keep her original name. Okay. So they have their first child, and his name is Carl Barker (dad's surname). Now they're having their second and final child, and they plan to name him David Adams (mom's surname). Actually they don't know if #2 is a boy or girl, but regardless, its surname will be Adams (mom's). So in the household will be an adult and child named Adams, and an adult and child named Barker. What do you guys think of this plan?

That sounds more confusing than anything else. Like a previous poster said, you're left wondering if they're full sibling and stuff like that.
Hyphenating is not always the best solution down the road ( If Mary Smith-Johnson and Joey Barker-Turner have a kid, is it Ethan Smith-Johnson-Baker-Turner?) but with two 'shorts' name it does seems better. Then the kid/adult will decide by what to go when he'll have to.

I kind of feel the same way. Certainly these days there are many families where everyone in the household doesn't have the same last name, and in most cases it's not anyone else's business exactly how they're related (married/not, step/half sibling, etc.). So there's that. But, it seems disharmonious to me, to deliberately give your children different last names, even though they have the same parents with the same marital status.

I feel like an adult should be able to handle having a different last name from the rest of the household, but it might be strange, confusing, and perhaps worrying for a child. Although, I do think a lot of feelings like that have much to do with parental attitudes growing up, and aren't solely influenced by the names given.

On this subject, but historical, something that was terribly confusing for me in my family history work: Elizabeth Aston marries Robert Brown, becomes Elizabeth Brown per usual at the time. They have some kids, surname Brown. Robert dies (in the Civil War, actually). Elizabeth takes up with another fellow, Joseph Calder, and lives with him and has some kids, but they aren't married. (Must have been quite a scandal at the time!) The surnames of these kids? Brown. Her previous (dead) husband's name. Wha...?

I suppose the idea was, Mrs. Brown had a baby, it must be Baby Brown, even if Mr. Brown has been dead for years. She's no longer Miss Aston but definitely not Mrs. Calder, so Brown is the only other option. Later, Joseph Calder and Elizabeth DID get married, and kids born after that were automatically Calder. And later in life, all their bio-kids tended to migrate towards the surname Calder, even if it was Brown on the first few censuses. Spelling and naming were rather more fluid back then, I think.  :P
~Lynn2000

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #17829 on: October 11, 2013, 03:34:39 PM »

LOL! Wasn't it George Foreman who named all his sons George, and called them by number? Or is that just a myth?

He has twelve kids and all five sons are named George, plus one daughter named Georgetta. It sounds like they use nicknames for the sons, though.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #17830 on: October 11, 2013, 11:27:46 PM »
I found a fun historical one, a Civil War veteran, Napoleon Bonaparte Lastname. 

Lynn2000

« Reply #17831 on: October 11, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »

That's awesome! I've found a lot of George Washington Lastnames--apparently that was extremely common around that time. George Washington Smith, George Washington Miller, George Washington Brown... Actually kind of a pain in combination with a common last name, because you get so many of them. There was also a Francis Marion Smith, after another Revolutionary War hero. And I remember a Grover Cleveland Smith. Name your kid after your heroes, I guess...
~Lynn2000

misha412

« Reply #17832 on: October 12, 2013, 10:18:58 PM »

That's awesome! I've found a lot of George Washington Lastnames--apparently that was extremely common around that time. George Washington Smith, George Washington Miller, George Washington Brown... Actually kind of a pain in combination with a common last name, because you get so many of them. There was also a Francis Marion Smith, after another Revolutionary War hero. And I remember a Grover Cleveland Smith. Name your kid after your heroes, I guess...

Snerk. I have found this same thing among my ancestors. I had one couple that went heavy with the theme.

Their five sons were George Washington LastName, Benjamin Franklin LastName, Thomas Jefferson LastName, James Monroe LastName, and Andrew Jackson LastName. They had a daughter named Martha, but I never found her middle name, though it was likely Washington, Dandridge, or Custis. (The children were born in the 1880s and 1890s).

scotcat60

« Reply #17833 on: October 13, 2013, 07:50:21 AM »
What do you guys think of this - having your second child's first name the same as your first child's middle name?

Bit like George III and Queen Charlotte. They had Frederick Augustus, Augustus Frederick, Ernest Augustus, Edward Augustus among the boys, and  Augusta Sophia, Charlotte Augusta Matilda, and Sophia Matilda among the girls, and a son called Adolphus Frederick. O.K, so they had 15 children, and they might have been running out of names by baby no.15, but they must really have liked the name Augustus.

Their eldest son George IV had a daughter Charlotte Augusta.
His brother William IV had a son Augustus, and a daughter Augusta by his mistress Mrs Jordan

Jones

« Reply #17834 on: October 13, 2013, 12:17:49 PM »
My daughter's middle name is Jean (pronounced like Gene or Jeanne) and, I will admit, we played with the idea of naming our son Jean-Luc (pronounced soft-J John, and Luke). We're such nerds, yes. But did not do that.