Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1652470 times)

Carotte

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17850 on: November 13, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »
I have a part-time seasonal job wrapping gifts in a department store and I sometimes look at the name tags before putting them on, nothing that out there for now, I'd say our country is more traditionalist and since it's upscale and all there will be more Anne-Catherine and Pierre-Louis than made up names or unik spelling.

But I did see a Corto and an Ulysse, original but cute.

And someone asked me how to spell Matis, told her it was either an I or Y, one or two T, and sometimes an H so to pick one of the 8 possibilities :).

cwm

« Reply #17851 on: November 15, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »
New one today. Sebestyen.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17852 on: November 15, 2013, 02:07:30 PM »
New one today. Sebestyen.

What on earth is wrong with Sebastian or Sebastien? They are perfectly adorable names. Why with the unique spelling?!

menley

« Reply #17853 on: November 15, 2013, 02:59:39 PM »
It drives me nuts when people replace vowels with y. I had to control my facial expression the other day when I heard a girl say that she wanted to name her baby girl "Kyndyll" instead of "Kendall" because "with the y's, they'll know it's a girl". Um. What?

Lynn2000

« Reply #17854 on: November 15, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »
It drives me nuts when people replace vowels with y. I had to control my facial expression the other day when I heard a girl say that she wanted to name her baby girl "Kyndyll" instead of "Kendall" because "with the y's, they'll know it's a girl". Um. What?

The name "Mary" would also tell them she was a girl.  :P

I have nothing against unisex names, but I thought the entire point was their... unisex nature? If you want to clearly delineate your child's gender (on paper anyway, I assume she wouldn't change the pronunciation), you're looking in the wrong style category.
~Lynn2000

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #17855 on: November 15, 2013, 09:28:01 PM »

Makes me think they're naming her after an e-reader ;)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17856 on: November 15, 2013, 09:40:54 PM »

;D ;D ;D  LOL!  That was exactlywhat first came into my mind too!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #17857 on: November 15, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »

Is her middle name "Phyre"? ;D
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17858 on: November 15, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »

Is her middle name "Phyre"? ;D

LOL!  Good one!!   ;D

mlmama

« Reply #17859 on: November 16, 2013, 01:59:57 AM »
I have a few. Family,too. They really like the odd names.  ;)

Tayton(b)
Rhyder (b)
Kinzlyn(g)
Ulrich (b) I know, A Knight's Tale.
Coleson (g)
Dagan and Payten (brother and sister)
Savannah and Aracelli (sisters) love this one :)
Brookelyne (g)
Keaton (b)
Damian and Gabriel (brothers)
We have a Julee and Emerie (sisters)

And last, but not least, my mother had a name she could never find on any personalized things, so she was determined her children would. We got, Kim, Kenny (Kenneth), Keith and KC. Not Kasey, but KC full name.

Those are just a few of the odd ones in my family.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #17860 on: November 16, 2013, 10:54:59 AM »
Ulrich, Damian, and Gabriel are classic names, and even spelled properly.  They're uncommon, but I'm not sure why you think that they're odd.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lynn2000

« Reply #17861 on: November 16, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »
I kind of like Kinzlyn, actually. Though I would fear it would become the name of the next hot digital toy item, right when my child was about 3, so that in a few years everyone thought I'd named her after them.

The other day I thought I saw a Tessamine, like Jessamine but with a T, and I was kind of like, "Yeah, okay, that's neat." Then I realized it was actually Tessanne? Someone on The Voice. I don't really like that as much, it doesn't have the right rhythm for me.
~Lynn2000

Pen^2

« Reply #17862 on: November 16, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »
Maybe this is a standard name in some places, but I've never heard it before. "Jacklin." As in, "Jacqueline" but spelled incorrectly. I've only ever seen it as a surname. Mother insists it's got 3 syllables, like the real "Jacqueline" does, but based on the chosen spelling, it just doesn't.

Oh, and another spelling one: Roawueun for "Rowan". I know for a fact that this one actually was because the parents couldn't spell it, and (apparently must have) decided that taking the 3 seconds to check or ask someone before making it a permanent part of their son's life somehow wasn't worth it. I might have missed a few extra vowels in it, because I'm sure it was 10 letters, but I think you get the idea.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17863 on: November 16, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
Maybe this is a standard name in some places, but I've never heard it before. "Jacklin." As in, "Jacqueline" but spelled incorrectly. I've only ever seen it as a surname. Mother insists it's got 3 syllables, like the real "Jacqueline" does, but based on the chosen spelling, it just doesn't.

I've seen Jaclyn, but not Jacklin.

mlmama

« Reply #17864 on: November 16, 2013, 07:30:18 PM »
Oh, I like all the names. I think Coleson is different for a girl, but it's still a cute name. And I mean "odd" as in different not strange. :)