Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1843013 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17850 on: November 15, 2013, 09:40:54 PM »
It drives me nuts when people replace vowels with y. I had to control my facial expression the other day when I heard a girl say that she wanted to name her baby girl "Kyndyll" instead of "Kendall" because "with the y's, they'll know it's a girl". Um. What?

Makes me think they're naming her after an e-reader ;)

;D ;D ;D  LOL!  That was exactlywhat first came into my mind too!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #17851 on: November 15, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »
It drives me nuts when people replace vowels with y. I had to control my facial expression the other day when I heard a girl say that she wanted to name her baby girl "Kyndyll" instead of "Kendall" because "with the y's, they'll know it's a girl". Um. What?

Is her middle name "Phyre"? ;D
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17852 on: November 15, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »

Is her middle name "Phyre"? ;D

LOL!  Good one!!   ;D

mlmama

« Reply #17853 on: November 16, 2013, 01:59:57 AM »
I have a few. Family,too. They really like the odd names.  ;)

Tayton(b)
Rhyder (b)
Kinzlyn(g)
Ulrich (b) I know, A Knight's Tale.
Coleson (g)
Dagan and Payten (brother and sister)
Savannah and Aracelli (sisters) love this one :)
Brookelyne (g)
Keaton (b)
Damian and Gabriel (brothers)
We have a Julee and Emerie (sisters)

And last, but not least, my mother had a name she could never find on any personalized things, so she was determined her children would. We got, Kim, Kenny (Kenneth), Keith and KC. Not Kasey, but KC full name.

Those are just a few of the odd ones in my family.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17854 on: November 16, 2013, 10:54:59 AM »
Ulrich, Damian, and Gabriel are classic names, and even spelled properly.  They're uncommon, but I'm not sure why you think that they're odd.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lynn2000

« Reply #17855 on: November 16, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »
I kind of like Kinzlyn, actually. Though I would fear it would become the name of the next hot digital toy item, right when my child was about 3, so that in a few years everyone thought I'd named her after them.

The other day I thought I saw a Tessamine, like Jessamine but with a T, and I was kind of like, "Yeah, okay, that's neat." Then I realized it was actually Tessanne? Someone on The Voice. I don't really like that as much, it doesn't have the right rhythm for me.
~Lynn2000

Pen^2

« Reply #17856 on: November 16, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »
Maybe this is a standard name in some places, but I've never heard it before. "Jacklin." As in, "Jacqueline" but spelled incorrectly. I've only ever seen it as a surname. Mother insists it's got 3 syllables, like the real "Jacqueline" does, but based on the chosen spelling, it just doesn't.

Oh, and another spelling one: Roawueun for "Rowan". I know for a fact that this one actually was because the parents couldn't spell it, and (apparently must have) decided that taking the 3 seconds to check or ask someone before making it a permanent part of their son's life somehow wasn't worth it. I might have missed a few extra vowels in it, because I'm sure it was 10 letters, but I think you get the idea.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17857 on: November 16, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
Maybe this is a standard name in some places, but I've never heard it before. "Jacklin." As in, "Jacqueline" but spelled incorrectly. I've only ever seen it as a surname. Mother insists it's got 3 syllables, like the real "Jacqueline" does, but based on the chosen spelling, it just doesn't.

I've seen Jaclyn, but not Jacklin.

mlmama

« Reply #17858 on: November 16, 2013, 07:30:18 PM »
Oh, I like all the names. I think Coleson is different for a girl, but it's still a cute name. And I mean "odd" as in different not strange. :)

Bethczar

« Reply #17859 on: November 16, 2013, 08:23:04 PM »
Saw a newborn boy named Kal-El yesterday. A little too fanboy for me.

Dr. F.

« Reply #17860 on: November 16, 2013, 09:11:50 PM »
Another interesting one from family history. My good, Southern great-grandfather had the middle name Boston. I thought that was odd - he'd probably never set foot in Mass., after all. It turned out that his grandfather's first name was Boston. OK, but still a Southerner, so, why? The grandfather's grandfather came over from the Old Country (Alsace), and was named Sebastian. He went by "Bastain" as a nickname once he arrived in South Carolina. It got modified as time went on in America, such that Boston became a recognized name in the family, but has nothing whatever to do with the city.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17861 on: November 17, 2013, 08:06:31 PM »
Also found an oddity today from my family history. Hollie, born in 1914... is male. In a way I'm not surprised, because I think Holly as a name at all is fairly modern, so in 1914 it probably didn't evoke any gender in particular. And it really seems to be Hollie, not Hollis with a nickname. I had just been assuming the person was female, and got a bit of a shock when I saw the photos finally.  :P The guy lived until 1990 or so... Probably spent the last two or three decades surprising people like that.

I like the Boston story!
~Lynn2000

drzim

« Reply #17862 on: November 18, 2013, 01:03:50 AM »

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17863 on: November 18, 2013, 04:27:54 AM »

New one today. Sebestyen.

What on earth is wrong with Sebastian or Sebastien? They are perfectly adorable names. Why with the unique spelling?!
It's the Hungarian spelling therefore not unique.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17864 on: November 18, 2013, 05:44:22 AM »
I found this list the other day: http://theweek.com/article/index/251655/the-least-popular-american-baby-names-from-1880-to-1932

My favorite is Spurgeon.
I really hope Manley and Chestina settled down together.  ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)