Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1645473 times)

Bethczar

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17865 on: November 16, 2013, 08:23:04 PM »
Saw a newborn boy named Kal-El yesterday. A little too fanboy for me.

Dr. F.

« Reply #17866 on: November 16, 2013, 09:11:50 PM »
Another interesting one from family history. My good, Southern great-grandfather had the middle name Boston. I thought that was odd - he'd probably never set foot in Mass., after all. It turned out that his grandfather's first name was Boston. OK, but still a Southerner, so, why? The grandfather's grandfather came over from the Old Country (Alsace), and was named Sebastian. He went by "Bastain" as a nickname once he arrived in South Carolina. It got modified as time went on in America, such that Boston became a recognized name in the family, but has nothing whatever to do with the city.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17867 on: November 17, 2013, 08:06:31 PM »
Also found an oddity today from my family history. Hollie, born in 1914... is male. In a way I'm not surprised, because I think Holly as a name at all is fairly modern, so in 1914 it probably didn't evoke any gender in particular. And it really seems to be Hollie, not Hollis with a nickname. I had just been assuming the person was female, and got a bit of a shock when I saw the photos finally.  :P The guy lived until 1990 or so... Probably spent the last two or three decades surprising people like that.

I like the Boston story!
~Lynn2000

drzim

« Reply #17868 on: November 18, 2013, 01:03:50 AM »

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17869 on: November 18, 2013, 04:27:54 AM »

New one today. Sebestyen.

What on earth is wrong with Sebastian or Sebastien? They are perfectly adorable names. Why with the unique spelling?!
It's the Hungarian spelling therefore not unique.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17870 on: November 18, 2013, 05:44:22 AM »
I found this list the other day: http://theweek.com/article/index/251655/the-least-popular-american-baby-names-from-1880-to-1932

My favorite is Spurgeon.
I really hope Manley and Chestina settled down together.  ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17871 on: November 18, 2013, 06:45:43 AM »
I found this list the other day: http://theweek.com/article/index/251655/the-least-popular-american-baby-names-from-1880-to-1932

My favorite is Spurgeon.

Sadly, several of my relatives names fall on that list.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #17872 on: November 18, 2013, 08:02:47 AM »

My favorite is Spurgeon.

Mine too. I think it depends on the population you are studying. Some of those would have hit a 'top ten' list with my older relations.

Personally I think it is a shame that names like Parthenia and Gregoria are not popular now. Maybe I need more cats so I can use them. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Vall

« Reply #17873 on: November 18, 2013, 03:02:42 PM »
When I was growing up, one of the neighbor girls was named Parthenia.  I guess she'd be about 40 years old now.  Her name was one of the few unusual names that I always liked.  Sadly, since everyone butchered her name, she went by the nickname of Bird (she was petite and cute).

Tea Drinker

« Reply #17874 on: November 18, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »

My favorite is Spurgeon.

Mine too. I think it depends on the population you are studying. Some of those would have hit a 'top ten' list with my older relations.

Personally I think it is a shame that names like Parthenia and Gregoria are not popular now. Maybe I need more cats so I can use them. ;D

That article is a weird combination of "those are odd names" and "were 'Jack' and 'Louise' really that unusual?" (I'm guessing most of the men called "Jack" at the time were more formally named John.)

Also, from the nitpicking angle, I suspect that even before you get down to the genuinely unique names, which would appear once in a year or even once in a decade, you get well below "top 1000 names." There were 2.2 million births in the United States in 1930 (according to about.com; I couldn't quickly find a number for earlier in that timespan). Some of those entirely unique ones might be spelling errors (like "Chiam" for "Chaim," given by a well-meaning parent who didn't know Hebrew or think to ask someone who did).

"Parthenia" is Greek for "Virginia," but that doesn't mean I'd recommend it for a human child.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17875 on: November 18, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »

What on earth is wrong with Sebastian or Sebastien? They are perfectly adorable names. Why with the unique spelling?!

Cool. Learn something new everyday... is it pronounced the same?

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17876 on: November 19, 2013, 02:53:27 AM »

No idea; sorry. I googled it because it looked legit to me.

menley

« Reply #17877 on: November 19, 2013, 05:17:24 AM »

The Hungarian letter S is pronounced like "sh" (and their letter Sz is like our "s"), and emphasis is usually on the first syllable. So Sebestyén would be pronounced SHEH-behsht-yayn.

Another example in Hungarian is Krisztina - it looks like an unusual spelling, but it's the traditional way to spell it in Hungary because of how their alphabet works. And in fact the government has rules that if your name is a traditional Hungarian name, it must be spelt in the traditional way. My friend Csaba (pronounced "CHAW-baw") has a lot of troubles in the US because of his name!

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #17878 on: November 19, 2013, 06:38:18 AM »
My company has two clients a father (born about 1940) and son (born 1970) who share the same name. The name? Donald Duck.

We also have a client called Zen Skywalker.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17879 on: November 19, 2013, 10:34:14 AM »

My favorite is Spurgeon.

Awesome. Some of these names are on my family tree as well. I remember specifically a woman named Jettie, and also the name Pleasant for a man occurs several times on my family tree. Also, spelling "back then" was looser, so IMO there's nothing particularly odd about "Carry" or "Buelah"--I'm sure they would have been pronounced like their more traditionally-spelled versions, Carrie and Beulah, and in fact over the course of the person's life you could probably find their names spelled several different ways on official forms. Also "back then" most forms were handwritten, and sometimes that was hard to read--imagine how a cursive "u" and "e" could easily run together, for example.

Willodean is pretty awesome, though. That's definitely an original. Also I had a relative whose first name was "Colonel," so Commodore doesn't seem so weird to me. ;)
~Lynn2000