Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1639084 times)

cwm

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17880 on: November 19, 2013, 10:45:51 AM »
I found this list the other day: http://theweek.com/article/index/251655/the-least-popular-american-baby-names-from-1880-to-1932

My favorite is Spurgeon.

Awesome. Some of these names are on my family tree as well. I remember specifically a woman named Jettie, and also the name Pleasant for a man occurs several times on my family tree. Also, spelling "back then" was looser, so IMO there's nothing particularly odd about "Carry" or "Buelah"--I'm sure they would have been pronounced like their more traditionally-spelled versions, Carrie and Beulah, and in fact over the course of the person's life you could probably find their names spelled several different ways on official forms. Also "back then" most forms were handwritten, and sometimes that was hard to read--imagine how a cursive "u" and "e" could easily run together, for example.

Willodean is pretty awesome, though. That's definitely an original. Also I had a relative whose first name was "Colonel," so Commodore doesn't seem so weird to me. ;)

I have a Pleasant in my family too. He served in the Civil War and has objects on display at one of the forts near-ish to me. It's a day trip, but I can go see it.

I always remembered his name because it's Pleasant Fountain, and I always pictured him to be this paragon of calm and relaxation. And from the picture that's on display, he looks like it too. Also, he was just a generally nice guy, according to all the family stories.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17881 on: November 19, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
I have a Pleasant in my family too. He served in the Civil War and has objects on display at one of the forts near-ish to me. It's a day trip, but I can go see it.

I always remembered his name because it's Pleasant Fountain, and I always pictured him to be this paragon of calm and relaxation. And from the picture that's on display, he looks like it too. Also, he was just a generally nice guy, according to all the family stories.

Oh, that's nice. In my family tree they're named Pleasant Hamm. :)
~Lynn2000

Lynn2000

« Reply #17882 on: November 19, 2013, 11:43:09 AM »
I'm catching up on CakeWrecks. On one of the cakes the birthday child's name is Jamyre, or possibly Jamyie. The other name on the cake is Kadence. It's Sunday Sweets, so presumably the names are spelled as desired. Kadence, okay, whatever, I actually rather like the name Cadence and this is just an unnecessary but not particularly troubling IMO spelling change.

But Jamyre? That's really different. I wonder how it's pronounced. juh-MYR, maybe (last syllable rhymes with fire). I'd rather it be Jamyre than Jamyie, because that seems bound for trouble (assuming it's a spelling of Jamie). I guess it could also be juh-MEER, but now I'm stuck on the "rhymes with fire" thing and kind of like that. That's definitely an arena-filling, no-surname-needed kind of name. "Ladies and gentlemen... JAMYRE!!!"

Oh, and then another cake later in the post was made for the 6th birthday of Lambdin. At least that's what it looks like to me in the picture. I could see Lambdin being a perfectly respectable surname on your family tree, but personally I just don't think it works well as a first name these days. I'm going to guess it's a boy, and I can't see a name with "lamb" in it being too popular for the first 14 years of life or so. Just a little too close to a mom-only nickname like "lammy-kins" or something.
~Lynn2000

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #17883 on: November 20, 2013, 09:44:30 PM »
The news last night included a story about a guy arrested for committing a crime, but with the name his parents gave him, he was destined for lockup:  His first name is Alkapone.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17884 on: November 20, 2013, 11:11:17 PM »
I'm catching up on CakeWrecks. On one of the cakes the birthday child's name is Jamyre, or possibly Jamyie. The other name on the cake is Kadence. It's Sunday Sweets, so presumably the names are spelled as desired. Kadence, okay, whatever, I actually rather like the name Cadence and this is just an unnecessary but not particularly troubling IMO spelling change.

But Jamyre? That's really different. I wonder how it's pronounced. juh-MYR, maybe (last syllable rhymes with fire). I'd rather it be Jamyre than Jamyie, because that seems bound for trouble (assuming it's a spelling of Jamie). I guess it could also be juh-MEER, but now I'm stuck on the "rhymes with fire" thing and kind of like that. That's definitely an arena-filling, no-surname-needed kind of name. "Ladies and gentlemen... JAMYRE!!!"

Oh, and then another cake later in the post was made for the 6th birthday of Lambdin. At least that's what it looks like to me in the picture. I could see Lambdin being a perfectly respectable surname on your family tree, but personally I just don't think it works well as a first name these days. I'm going to guess it's a boy, and I can't see a name with "lamb" in it being too popular for the first 14 years of life or so. Just a little too close to a mom-only nickname like "lammy-kins" or something.

Well Lambdin could have easily been a mishearing of the name Landon

Elisabunny

« Reply #17885 on: November 21, 2013, 10:58:25 AM »
Kawther.  I don't know if the family is into crows, or what.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17886 on: November 21, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »
Aline (Ah-Lee-ni) is a pretty common name in Portuguese. I had no idea someone would be able to stretch it out to Hallynnee.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17887 on: November 21, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »

Well Lambdin could have easily been a mishearing of the name Landon

That's true. It was just written on a cake, not a birth certificate. :) But usually on CakeWrecks they mention if the baker has done something wrong like that.
~Lynn2000

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17888 on: November 21, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
Ulrich, Damian, and Gabriel are classic names, and even spelled properly.  They're uncommon, but I'm not sure why you think that they're odd.

Presumably the demon/angel connection.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #17889 on: November 21, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »
I just unearthed the 8th-grade graduation booklet from one of my grandsons.  Along with the normal boring names, we have:

Daemazjion D'Kale
Javiah Rockael
Makayla R'Dacia
Versache Armani-Jael

And that's before we get out of the B section!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17890 on: November 21, 2013, 07:04:21 PM »
I just unearthed the 8th-grade graduation booklet from one of my grandsons.  Along with the normal boring names, we have:

Daemazjion D'Kale
Javiah Rockael
Makayla R'Dacia
Versache Armani-Jael

Sounds like someone is very into fashion!!   ;D

BB-VA

« Reply #17891 on: November 21, 2013, 09:47:06 PM »
Aline (Ah-Lee-ni) is a pretty common name in Portuguese. I had no idea someone would be able to stretch it out to Hallynnee.

My mother's middle name, pronounced Aleen.  I think it was after her aunt Allyne.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17892 on: November 21, 2013, 10:03:40 PM »

My mother's middle name, pronounced Aleen.  I think it was after her aunt Allyne.

Variations on Aline  (Alene, Alyne, Alena, and apparently Allyne  ;) etc.) are fairly common here in the U.S. too.  In fact, one of those variations is my middle name and I know at least two other people with that name, although one is spelled slightly differently from the way my name is spelled.

BB-VA

« Reply #17893 on: November 21, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »

Variations on Aline  (Alene, Alyne, Alena, and apparently Allyne  ;) etc.) are fairly common here in the U.S. too.  In fact, one of those variations is my middle name and I know at least two other people with that name, although one is spelled slightly differently from the way my name is spelled.

My aunt Allyene's name was pronounced differently - it was more like AWLeen.  (SW Virginia accent - what can I say?)
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17894 on: November 22, 2013, 09:48:24 AM »

In Portuguese, there are no double letters (except for S and R in certain circumstances), doubling the e does not change the sound, Y is not part of the alphabet. That version makes absolutely no sense here (the family is Brazilian, by the way, and doesn't speak English).