Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1825639 times)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17940 on: December 12, 2013, 06:09:22 PM »
I was listening to the radio today and heard a service man's message to his family. He gave his name, which I don't remember, and a holiday greeting dedicated to his wife (again, I don't remember her name) and their two daughters:

Genesis and Journey.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #17941 on: December 12, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »
I've been hearing those 2 a lot more in the last 5 years or so.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #17942 on: December 12, 2013, 06:55:09 PM »
You have to remember, when reading baby name books or websites, that a lot of names have been sanitized and/or given a completely fictitious meaning.  "Kennedy" for instance, does not mean "armored head." It means "ugly head."  "Hollister" does not mean "from the holly wood"; it means "brothel keeper."

Just a small note: If i ever have a child, I am coming to you guys and asking you what the names I have chosen REALLY mean!
So you don't want to name your daughter "Knarrabringa" even though you love the sound of it? (Old Norse, "merchant-ship boobs" i.e. very generously endowed)

I could always pick that name if I go for a Viking persona in the Society for Creative Anachronism or at a Renn Faire.  Unless DD grabbed it first...I've always blamed the "German milkmaid genes" - but found out that there are genes on Mom's side of the family for that, too - if you go back a couple of generations.  I've never seen enough old photos though to track down who looks like which side of the family...

I have a morbid wondering about what the term for "merchant ship bellied" or "belly like a sail in a high wind" would be - but I'm not sure if I really want to know.  Just wondering if it "sounds pretty" or not...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:58:32 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

squeakers

« Reply #17943 on: December 13, 2013, 02:32:50 AM »
Quote from: jalutaja

Why are women called Dawn in English, but men called Dawn hear?

The other names with meanings do not have such common English counterparts - for men most common ones are Rock and Glowing, for woman Wave, Poetry, Flake (like in snow-flake), Flower.

You would have to go back to the roots of your language and the myths associated with them to see why Dawn=Male name.  Perhaps the Sun personification is male and anything associated with the sun=male.

I think that Dawn as a female name is because the sun is weak at sunrise and sunset.  And women are always thought/written as to be weak in most myths.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Rohanna

« Reply #17944 on: December 15, 2013, 11:08:19 AM »
Perhaps because the Dawn is often described as something pretty or beautiful, and that is something valued for women?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

English1

« Reply #17945 on: December 16, 2013, 04:59:54 AM »
The Hebrew name meaning dawn: Shachar. I believe this is unisex.  I don't think there is much logic behind the allocation of most names to boy or girl or both.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17946 on: December 16, 2013, 10:09:20 PM »
The program from Grandson#3's Xmas concert listed a Reality and a Genesis.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jones

« Reply #17947 on: December 16, 2013, 10:32:30 PM »
Everette. As a man's name. Now don't get me wrong, Everet or Everett I would think is a man's name. But not with the -ette ending.

This was the name of my ex's father; I remember being surprised the first time I heard it too.

cwm

« Reply #17948 on: December 17, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
Leosthene. Not Leosthenes, which is what almost all of the search results return, just Leosthene.

I also saw a Tituba the other day, but that just reminded me of high school when we performed The Crucible. I just didn't realize that name was still around. Not very common in my corner of the world.

Carotte

« Reply #17949 on: December 19, 2013, 04:25:39 AM »
Saw a Thélio name tag the other day, only 47 baby boy born in 2013 so lets hope it never catches on because I find it the perfect amount of adorable, uncommun but on a commun sounding base, and if needed can be tied to Télio, an actual name from Brittany. 

Melle

« Reply #17950 on: December 20, 2013, 06:34:59 AM »
Just issued a library card to a "Buket"...

Teenyweeny

« Reply #17951 on: December 20, 2013, 07:07:41 AM »

That's a Turkish girl's name, meaning 'bouquet'.

Melle

« Reply #17952 on: December 20, 2013, 07:27:04 AM »

That's a Turkish girl's name, meaning 'bouquet'.

Kid who got The card was a pale redhaired boy :\

lisen

« Reply #17953 on: January 01, 2014, 10:24:04 PM »
Quote from: jalutaja

Why are women called Dawn in English, but men called Dawn hear?

The other names with meanings do not have such common English counterparts - for men most common ones are Rock and Glowing, for woman Wave, Poetry, Flake (like in snow-flake), Flower.

You would have to go back to the roots of your language and the myths associated with them to see why Dawn=Male name.  Perhaps the Sun personification is male and anything associated with the sun=male.

I think that Dawn as a female name is because the sun is weak at sunrise and sunset.  And women are always thought/written as to be weak in most myths.

It probably derives from the Graeco-Romans personifying the dawn (the actual process of daybreak) as the goddess Eos/ Aurora. She is often described as "rosy-fingered Dawn".

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #17954 on: January 01, 2014, 10:31:35 PM »

"That's pronounced 'bouquet', dear."