Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 2012531 times)

snowfire

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17955 on: January 02, 2014, 12:35:23 AM »
^^^ LOL.  I used to know a woman who was a milder Violet Bucket.  ;D

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17956 on: January 02, 2014, 08:14:35 AM »
^^^ LOL.  I used to know a woman who was a milder Violet Bucket.  ;D
Violet wasn't a Buket, Hyacinth was. Violet was a whatever their maiden name was :D :D :D.

But back to baby names:
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17957 on: January 02, 2014, 03:09:33 PM »
Quashawdna, Pronounced Kwa-shawn-da. Not how it is spelled.

My work is done here.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:57:43 PM by ladyknight1 »

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #17958 on: January 02, 2014, 03:56:32 PM »
Some friends of mine are emergency foster parents for the state and at very short notice can and do take in young children from unsafe/abusive/etc situations.  One child they received as a newborn infant b/c the mother was a known addict and had illegal drugs in her system when she delivered the baby.  (All of her previous kids have also been taken).  Drug-Mom did manage to give her child the name of her favorite off-brand soda before Kiddo was taken away.  Friend and his wife take to calling their foster kid "Baby Girl" instead.

picturegirl80

« Reply #17959 on: January 02, 2014, 05:01:35 PM »
I think of the fun ******* girl from West Wing. ;)

Edit: Erm, okay, political parties aren't allowed, apparently.  The girl from the opposite party as everyone else, who kicked Sam's behind in a "Point/Counterpoint"-type show.  I loooooved that episode. "Everyone come quick!  Sam's getting his behind kicked by a girl!"
[/quote]

I loved that episode too! 'Ginger, get the popcorn!'  That Ainsley is
always the first one I think of!
Whatever you do, give 100%.  Unless you're donating blood.

ddawn23

« Reply #17960 on: January 04, 2014, 12:39:52 AM »
I have a friend with a 'quirky' spelling of a common name.  The spelling is weird because her parents had given her a name they made up, but the family patriarch either couldn't remember how to say it or didn't look at it close enough to see that it wasn't actually the name he thought it was.  He kept calling her this unrelated common name, and it stuck.  So for her it's not that she spells her name weird, it's that everyone--including her parents and even herself-- pronounces wrong.

Some friends of mine are emergency foster parents for the state and at very short notice can and do take in young children from unsafe/abusive/etc situations.  One child they received as a newborn infant b/c the mother was a known addict and had illegal drugs in her system when she delivered the baby.  (All of her previous kids have also been taken).  Drug-Mom did manage to give her child the name of her favorite off-brand soda before Kiddo was taken away.  Friend and his wife take to calling their foster kid "Baby Girl" instead.
If it's the off-brand pop name I think you're talking about-- that's an actual, if uncommon, name for people and places.  I know one or two girls with the name.  It's also the name of the (male) protagonist of one of the Chronicles of Narnia, and googling it just now turned up a character in a John Wayne movie with that name.

ETA: Further googling has revealed the soft drink company was named after a body of water. Of course, all of this is moot if the mother acknowledged she named the kid after a brand of pop, but if that's the case at least she accidentally gave the kid an actual name.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:52:26 AM by ddawn23 »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17961 on: January 04, 2014, 08:05:44 AM »
Apparently a loyal Alabama fan named her new son Krimson Tide. She doesn't understand why there are so many dubious reactions.

Margo

« Reply #17962 on: January 04, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »
I have a friend with a 'quirky' spelling of a common name.  The spelling is weird because her parents had given her a name they made up, but the family patriarch either couldn't remember how to say it or didn't look at it close enough to see that it wasn't actually the name he thought it was.  He kept calling her this unrelated common name, and it stuck.  So for her it's not that she spells her name weird, it's that everyone--including her parents and even herself-- pronounces wrong.

If it's the off-brand pop name I think you're talking about-- that's an actual, if uncommon, name for people and places.  I know one or two girls with the name.  It's also the name of the (male) protagonist of one of the Chronicles of Narnia, and googling it just now turned up a character in a John Wayne movie with that name.

ETA: Further googling has revealed the soft drink company was named after a body of water. Of course, all of this is moot if the mother acknowledged she named the kid after a brand of pop, but if that's the case at least she accidentally gave the kid an actual name.

I'm intrigued. I'm familiar with the Narnia books but can't think of any of the protagonist who fit this criteria. (I'm not familiar with names off pop..

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #17963 on: January 04, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »
Came across a baby in a video that had been named Cornelius by his parents. There's two things I know called Cornelius, one is an elephant and the other is on a box of corn flakes.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17964 on: January 04, 2014, 04:44:52 PM »

I'm intrigued. I'm familiar with the Narnia books but can't think of any of the protagonist who fit this criteria. (I'm not familiar with names off pop..

My guess whould be Shasta.  I think he was a prince in one of the books.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17965 on: January 04, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »
Came across a baby in a video that had been named Cornelius by his parents. There's two things I know called Cornelius, one is an elephant and the other is on a box of corn flakes.

I was thinking the character Cornelius Fudge from Harry Potter.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17966 on: January 04, 2014, 04:52:11 PM »
Or Yukon Cornelius from Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #17967 on: January 04, 2014, 04:53:46 PM »
Forgot about him, and I think Rowling was deliberately being old fashioned there.

Cornelia I can kind of understand.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #17968 on: January 04, 2014, 05:18:23 PM »

I can't come up with it either. :(
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17969 on: January 04, 2014, 05:59:09 PM »

I was thinking the character Cornelius Fudge from Harry Potter.

The main character's brother in the book A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is Cornelius, nicknamed Neeley.  For a new baby, I'd just assume it's a family name.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:19:41 PM by rose red »