Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1643329 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18000 on: January 05, 2014, 11:34:58 PM »
I have a friend with a 'quirky' spelling of a common name.  The spelling is weird because her parents had given her a name they made up, but the family patriarch either couldn't remember how to say it or didn't look at it close enough to see that it wasn't actually the name he thought it was.  He kept calling her this unrelated common name, and it stuck.  So for her it's not that she spells her name weird, it's that everyone--including her parents and even herself-- pronounces wrong.

Some friends of mine are emergency foster parents for the state and at very short notice can and do take in young children from unsafe/abusive/etc situations.  One child they received as a newborn infant b/c the mother was a known addict and had illegal drugs in her system when she delivered the baby.  (All of her previous kids have also been taken).  Drug-Mom did manage to give her child the name of her favorite off-brand soda before Kiddo was taken away.  Friend and his wife take to calling their foster kid "Baby Girl" instead.
If it's the off-brand pop name I think you're talking about-- that's an actual, if uncommon, name for people and places.  I know one or two girls with the name.  It's also the name of the (male) protagonist of one of the Chronicles of Narnia, and googling it just now turned up a character in a John Wayne movie with that name.

ETA: Further googling has revealed the soft drink company was named after a body of water. Of course, all of this is moot if the mother acknowledged she named the kid after a brand of pop, but if that's the case at least she accidentally gave the kid an actual name.

I'm intrigued. I'm familiar with the Narnia books but can't think of any of the protagonist who fit this criteria. (I'm not familiar with names off pop..

I can't come up with it either. :(

Shasta
When you said "male protaganist" and "named after a body of water" I was thinking Caspian (and the Caspian Sea).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #18001 on: January 06, 2014, 08:31:29 AM »
Shasta

From reading the birth mother's facebook page, I'm certain it's the soda.  She's a real piece of work and DHS has had to remove all five of her children, which is sad as she blames the police/social workers and is just an angry person.  If the baby is made available for permanent adoption, then the name is eligible to be changed.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #18003 on: January 06, 2014, 09:53:12 PM »
I have a friend with a 'quirky' spelling of a common name.  The spelling is weird because her parents had given her a name they made up, but the family patriarch either couldn't remember how to say it or didn't look at it close enough to see that it wasn't actually the name he thought it was.  He kept calling her this unrelated common name, and it stuck.  So for her it's not that she spells her name weird, it's that everyone--including her parents and even herself-- pronounces wrong.

Some friends of mine are emergency foster parents for the state and at very short notice can and do take in young children from unsafe/abusive/etc situations.  One child they received as a newborn infant b/c the mother was a known addict and had illegal drugs in her system when she delivered the baby.  (All of her previous kids have also been taken).  Drug-Mom did manage to give her child the name of her favorite off-brand soda before Kiddo was taken away.  Friend and his wife take to calling their foster kid "Baby Girl" instead.
If it's the off-brand pop name I think you're talking about-- that's an actual, if uncommon, name for people and places.  I know one or two girls with the name.  It's also the name of the (male) protagonist of one of the Chronicles of Narnia, and googling it just now turned up a character in a John Wayne movie with that name.

ETA: Further googling has revealed the soft drink company was named after a body of water. Of course, all of this is moot if the mother acknowledged she named the kid after a brand of pop, but if that's the case at least she accidentally gave the kid an actual name.

I'm intrigued. I'm familiar with the Narnia books but can't think of any of the protagonist who fit this criteria. (I'm not familiar with names off pop..

My guess whould be Shasta.  I think he was a prince in one of the books.

Yes. And there was absolutely no need to get all cutesy about hiding the name. There is no ban on brand names here at eHell.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

ddawn23

« Reply #18004 on: January 07, 2014, 02:05:55 AM »

My guess whould be Shasta.  I think he was a prince in one of the books.

Yes. And there was absolutely no need to get all cutesy about hiding the name. There is no ban on brand names here at eHell.
Ouch.  :-[  I know it wasn't your intent, but that came off kind of harsh.  I wasn't trying to be cutesy-- I assumed PP had her reasons to hint at instead of explicitly state the name, so I went along.  And FWIW, in my years on eHell I've seen a near-universal avoidance of brand, store, and company names, whether it's an actual rule or not.

Betelnut

"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Calistoga

« Reply #18006 on: January 07, 2014, 12:11:35 PM »
A girl at my bank recently had a son.

She said his name was Homer Jack Riley, so I thought "Oh, so his first name is Homer, his second is Jack, and their last name is Riley."

No.

His FIRST name is Homer Jack-Riley, then a middle name, then a last name.

So he's from the land of the 5 named people.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18007 on: January 07, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »

She said his name was Homer Jack Riley, so I thought "Oh, so his first name is Homer, his second is Jack, and their last name is Riley."

No.

Yikes... just out of curiosity what are they gonna call him for short?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18008 on: January 07, 2014, 12:30:40 PM »
Cqiana.

Calistoga

« Reply #18009 on: January 07, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »

No.

Yikes... just out of curiosity what are they gonna call him for short?

Jack-Riley apparently.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18010 on: January 07, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18011 on: January 07, 2014, 01:05:27 PM »
Kee-aw-na. I couldn't figure it out.

Editeer

« Reply #18012 on: January 07, 2014, 04:28:29 PM »

No.

Two people I knew in college got married, had a son, and decided to name him with both their last names. Nothing unusual there. However, Mom's last name was St. FemaleName. Dad's last name was an old Dutch name written in three parts, like Van Den Bleep. So the son's name was:

Sebastian Xavier St. FemaleName Van Den Bleep.

The parents added, helpfully, that "Xavier St. FemaleName " was the middle name.

Lynn2000

« Reply #18013 on: January 07, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »
I'll tell on myself for this one. Fortunately, these were only fictional characters, in a story I wrote many years ago but when I was old enough to know better. I wanted the parents to give their kids "classic" names but "twisted" them a bit with creative spellings. Some aren't too bad. Some just make me shudder.

Alyss Vivian
Caralyn Rose
Nikalass Lennon
Bengimen Dooglas
Allicsandre Jesse
Johnnithan Donat
Cathrynne Lark
Maree Karen
Krystoffer Walton
Jayne Marina

Please, no one take these as inspiration!!
~Lynn2000

HGolightly

« Reply #18014 on: January 07, 2014, 08:08:02 PM »
I am so waiting for a Bengamin Dooglas to be born! Love your childhood curious streak!