Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1978117 times)

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18030 on: January 24, 2014, 03:54:50 PM »
I don't know the pronounciation, but a new one to me:

Sayde, sister to Sydne

I'm guessing Sadie and Sidney
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18031 on: January 24, 2014, 05:51:37 PM »
Darcy....Well, that is easy to see and say, right? Ah, but I was mispronouncing it.  It is pronounced, wait for it, ...Duh Arcy.

I am not joking. Wish I were. And the child was very upset that "No one says it right!"

I wonder if there was some kind of basis in the name D'arcy there? I don't know, I got nothing. ;)

I think that makes sense. In a way. Wasn't there a singer, Terence Trent D'Arby, whose last name was pronounced with three syllables? Or maybe that's just how I pronounced it because I didn't know any better. I'm sure I thought, if he wanted it pronounced Darby, he'd just spell it Darby. The apostrophe must mean something. I think I didn't realize other languages (like French) sometimes did things differently.

I think I'd rather be Dee-Arcy than Duh-Arcy, but I suppose that's a bit persnickety.
~Lynn2000

gmatoy

« Reply #18032 on: January 24, 2014, 08:11:44 PM »
Well, but you must make sure that you do not run them together. Duh     Arcy.  As if were two words.

Carotte

« Reply #18033 on: January 27, 2014, 08:43:42 AM »
Darcy....Well, that is easy to see and say, right? Ah, but I was mispronouncing it.  It is pronounced, wait for it, ...Duh Arcy.

I am not joking. Wish I were. And the child was very upset that "No one says it right!"

I wonder if there was some kind of basis in the name D'arcy there? I don't know, I got nothing. ;)

I think that makes sense. In a way. Wasn't there a singer, Terence Trent D'Arby, whose last name was pronounced with three syllables? Or maybe that's just how I pronounced it because I didn't know any better. I'm sure I thought, if he wanted it pronounced Darby, he'd just spell it Darby. The apostrophe must mean something. I think I didn't realize other languages (like French) sometimes did things differently.

I think I'd rather be Dee-Arcy than Duh-Arcy, but I suppose that's a bit persnickety.

Well, in French "de" is a preposition that indicate from where it starts/where it comes from. the "d'" is the "contraction" used before a vowel.
So for me, logically Arby is a place, it would be Terence of Arby, like we say Catherine of Aragon (Catherine d'Aragon).
If they had come from say Paris it would be Terence de/of Paris or Catherine de Paris.
Nowadays family names with prepositions like that sound pompous and are affiliated with old, established families. A joke name for some 'aristocratic' made-up person would be Jean-Charles Edouard du Bonnet de la Seine d'Argenteuil. (bolded being first and second name, actually used, then the family name).

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18034 on: January 27, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »
Two from my family tree. I found someone whose first name was Rosazella. Not Rosella, or Rosabella. Rosazella. I think it would be hard to say, kind of like you're stuttering over the middle syllables.

Another one I remembered is a cousin who has the middle name Jane. Which is pronounced Janie. So when you say her name aloud it's supposed to be "Elizabeth Janie Smith" even though it looks like "Elizabeth Jane Smith." If her parents really wanted Janie I don't know why they didn't just spell it that way, instead of expecting everyone to realize that an incredibly common, simple name was being pronounced differently.

Then again this is the same family who named another daughter Katie, in honor of an aunt Katy. For some reason they thought Aunt Katy had always wished her name was spelled Katie, and that she would appreciate a namesake with the desired spelling. She didn't. (Aunt Katy was kind of a character.)
~Lynn2000

lisen

« Reply #18035 on: January 27, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »
An apparently popular name in my ancestry is "Alexandrina". I am not sure if this is just a variant of Alexandra, or if it was a common name. Perhaps we aren't the only generations who like to do a name "with a twist". :)

faithlessone

« Reply #18036 on: January 28, 2014, 02:44:00 AM »
An apparently popular name in my ancestry is "Alexandrina". I am not sure if this is just a variant of Alexandra, or if it was a common name. Perhaps we aren't the only generations who like to do a name "with a twist". :)

Not exactly common, but it is a variant of Alexandra, and definitely a name. Queen Victoria's actual first name, in fact - Alexandrina Victoria.

heartmug

« Reply #18037 on: January 28, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »
"Airwrecka".

:o

I think it's supposed to be a creative spelling of Erica, but...that's pretty far off the mark.

Wonder if she's on the No Fly List?

LOL!!!
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

dawnfire

« Reply #18038 on: January 29, 2014, 12:00:11 AM »

Not exactly common, but it is a variant of Alexandra, and definitely a name. Queen Victoria's actual first name, in fact - Alexandrina Victoria.

-ina is a diminutive. so Alexandrina is literally little Alexandra

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18039 on: February 02, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »
Another one from my family tree, on the topic of unisex names: Leon. For a girl.

She was born in the early 1920s in the South and her birth name was Mary Leon Miller. Not Leona, Leon. Over the years she decided to go by her middle name, Leon, and is mentioned this way in several of her siblings' obituaries. "...survived by his sister Leon Jones [married name]."
~Lynn2000

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18040 on: February 02, 2014, 07:07:33 PM »
Two coworkers of mine.  One is named Ia (pronounced eee-ah) and the other is Jeanne, prounounced "Jennie".  Another coworker keeps pronouncing Ia's name as "eye-ah" and I have to fight so hard to not laugh; no one ever knows who she's talking about!

faithlessone

« Reply #18041 on: February 02, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »
A keen Seahawks fan has named their daughter

Cydnee Leigh 12th Mann.

I can't decide whether that's cute or a bit sad. Heading for "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

(http://www.today.com/moms/seattle-seahawks-fans-name-baby-12th-mann-2D12024235)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #18042 on: February 02, 2014, 07:57:41 PM »
Mauveline

Onnette
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

lilfox

« Reply #18043 on: February 02, 2014, 10:56:15 PM »
Daleah.  I don't know if it's pronounced like "Dahlia" or dah-LEE-ah.  My guess is the first, but my own tendency is the second.  Kind of pretty sounding either way, but I personally don't like the spelling.

Also, Jane pronounced "Janie"?  I get calling someone named Jane by a diminutive, but insisting that the name be spelled one way and pronounced the other? Nope, sorry, that would come across as too precious to me.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #18044 on: February 03, 2014, 02:51:59 AM »
Some friends of mine are emergency foster parents for the state and at very short notice can and do take in young children from unsafe/abusive/etc situations.  One child they received as a newborn infant b/c the mother was a known addict and had illegal drugs in her system when she delivered the baby.  (All of her previous kids have also been taken).  Drug-Mom did manage to give her child the name of her favorite off-brand soda before Kiddo was taken away.  Friend and his wife take to calling their foster kid "Baby Girl" instead.

I've known three Shastas - all women - and wouldn't bat an eyelash at the name. It's not the most common name, but it is legitimate. I have no idea whether it came from the mountain or from the Native American tribe.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona