Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1843027 times)

Teenyweeny

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18060 on: February 03, 2014, 07:41:44 PM »
Also, regarding the legend that refuses to die, the -jello twins must be far less prevalent than the number of people "who definitely know about it first hand" would lead us to believe.

The names are completely absent from the U.S. government's stats on baby names. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that nobody is named that, but it does mean that fewer than five people are named that. Even supposing that there were 4 sets of -jello twins born every year for the past 20 years, that means that there are 80 sets, at most. And yet, literally thousands of people from all corners of the U.S. claim to have totally met them in person.

I find that difficult to credit, as Jeeves would say.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #18061 on: February 03, 2014, 09:19:05 PM »
Nope.  SIL is absolutely horrible with a computer (I think she uses it mostly as a plant stand), so she has no idea what snopes is.  She swears she saw the nametag with her own eyes.

not having heard of snopes just means she won't have thought to check there; urban legends spread through lots of ways, not just the computer.

i wouldn't be surprised, though, if someone had seen the debunking and thought it would be amusing to put that on a nametag: like people who write "inigo montoya" on their nametags even though they are named nothing close to that.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #18062 on: February 04, 2014, 08:30:10 AM »
Two coworkers of mine.  One is named Ia (pronounced eee-ah) and the other is Jeanne, prounounced "Jennie".  Another coworker keeps pronouncing Ia's name as "eye-ah" and I have to fight so hard to not laugh; no one ever knows who she's talking about!

Ia! Ia! Cthulu ftaghn! >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Lynn2000

« Reply #18063 on: February 04, 2014, 11:19:30 AM »
Also, regarding the legend that refuses to die, the -jello twins must be far less prevalent than the number of people "who definitely know about it first hand" would lead us to believe.

The names are completely absent from the U.S. government's stats on baby names. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that nobody is named that, but it does mean that fewer than five people are named that. Even supposing that there were 4 sets of -jello twins born every year for the past 20 years, that means that there are 80 sets, at most. And yet, literally thousands of people from all corners of the U.S. claim to have totally met them in person.

I find that difficult to credit, as Jeeves would say.

Ha ha, I do wonder about that sometimes. I keep thinking back to my cousin's story--did I remember it wrong, was she saying someone told her the story instead? It was probably fifteen years ago. I know she wouldn't have pretended to actually meet these kids if she hadn't, but maybe I've forgotten the part where she said, "My co-worker told me this story about her sister, who's a teacher..."

On another topic: Last night I had a dream that a friend of mine had a baby girl and named her... Autotanna. In the dream it was weird, but still kind of seemed reasonable, but when I woke up I was like  :o. It sounds like a place the people on Jersey Shore would go--"First the gym, then the Autotanna, then the laundromat!"

Countdown to the first little Autotanna being born...
~Lynn2000

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18064 on: February 04, 2014, 01:48:48 PM »
My SIL and her kids just returned from a trip to Florida, and in the middle of WDW heard a woman calling for her child.  When she appeared, she had a nametag on:  Klamidia.   

SIL said she's never laughed so hard, because she just couldn't believe she was hearing someone yelling that word in a public place.

Take away the meaning of the word and it is truly lovely, though.  A mix of Chloe and Lydia.  Before I knew what it meant I heard it who knows where and thought it was the prettiest name.  I wanted to name my future daughter Chlamydia. 

Don't worry. I didn't.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #18065 on: February 04, 2014, 02:00:38 PM »
Two coworkers of mine.  One is named Ia (pronounced eee-ah) and the other is Jeanne, prounounced "Jennie".  Another coworker keeps pronouncing Ia's name as "eye-ah" and I have to fight so hard to not laugh; no one ever knows who she's talking about!

Ia! Ia! Cthulu ftaghn! >:D

That made me snort up some diet Dr. Pepper at work!
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Lynn2000

« Reply #18066 on: February 04, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »
Also, Jane pronounced "Janie"?  I get calling someone named Jane by a diminutive, but insisting that the name be spelled one way and pronounced the other? Nope, sorry, that would come across as too precious to me.

That was my cousin. It seems to be a bit of a sore point in the family... I'm thinking her mom wanted "Janie" and her dad accidentally wrote "Jane" on the paperwork instead, or something like that, so they decided they would just leave it Jane but pronounce it Janie. That seems like common logic in my family, anyway. ;)
~Lynn2000

Betelnut

« Reply #18067 on: February 13, 2014, 04:42:05 PM »
Several from the paper this week:

Bailii Jane, a girl.  I guess it is supposed to be "Bailey"?
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #18068 on: February 13, 2014, 06:48:36 PM »
K'myah.

How do you even pronounce that?
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18069 on: February 13, 2014, 06:50:50 PM »
K'myah.

How do you even pronounce that?

Kah my ah?

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18070 on: February 14, 2014, 12:44:15 AM »
I spotted someone with an interesting spelling on Not Always Right (the spelling and prounciation are both part of the story).

Joie, pronounced Joey.

I'd either pronounce that "Joy" or "Jo-eye-ee".
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Jones

« Reply #18071 on: February 14, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »
I would pronounce it "Joey" because that's how it looked to me...I didn't see "Joy" until you pointed it out.

My coworker's sister is pregnant and coming up with many ...entertaining... names. "Graceful Desire Lastname" is what they are currently trying to talk her into abandoning. But apparently coworker's dad, the soon to be grandpa, is stressed about all this because he had a dream wherein a young girl said "Hi grandpa, it's me, Asparagus!"

Everyone is keeping the dream story away from Pregnant Sister.

poundcake

« Reply #18072 on: February 14, 2014, 10:07:40 AM »
I spotted someone with an interesting spelling on Not Always Right (the spelling and prounciation are both part of the story).

Joie, pronounced Joey.

I'd assume "Jwah," because it's en franšais!

Addy

« Reply #18073 on: February 15, 2014, 05:06:33 PM »

Joie, pronounced Joey.

I'd assume "Jwah," because it's en franšais!

That's what I would do!

A similar name that I actually love is a name of an Italian friend of mine...Gioia. It's pronounced Joy-a.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:09:20 PM by Addy »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18074 on: February 15, 2014, 05:11:27 PM »
I would pronounce it "Joey" because that's how it looked to me...I didn't see "Joy" until you pointed it out.

My coworker's sister is pregnant and coming up with many ...entertaining... names. "Graceful Desire Lastname" is what they are currently trying to talk her into abandoning. But apparently coworker's dad, the soon to be grandpa, is stressed about all this because he had a dream wherein a young girl said "Hi grandpa, it's me, Asparagus!"

Everyone is keeping the dream story away from Pregnant Sister.

Ha! You will keep us updated won't you?