Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1972733 times)

Alli8098

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18135 on: March 07, 2014, 10:41:59 AM »
I may have already posted this at one time on this thread a long time ago but couldn't find it. 

My father wanted to name me Esmerelda, my mother vetoed that quickly.  It is funny though I ended up being the only kid born though with thick dark hair, all my siblings AND my own children are blonde. 

DH and I have been looking at Scandinavian names (DH is primarily Swedish and Scandinavian, he's 3rd generation born in the U.S.) for our son due in July and have found some interesting ones.  One we found was Gunnar which we will not be going with, but I've since given that as a little nickname to our son.  Why?  Because we are still in the second trimester and he's a big baby and can kick so hard it hurts!  DH is only 5ft7in but is built like a thick burly athlete, he can make a grown man wince when shaking hands because he doesn't know his own strength.  So I think DS is already taking after his daddy already. My girls were nice little petite babies, not my boy though!  ::)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18136 on: March 07, 2014, 11:36:33 AM »
A relative has two sons with names that are a bit unusual but not weird.  The kids have a last name that's rather common among people of Welsh descent. 

The full name of the older child makes me think he'd become a news reader on the BBC.  The full name of the younger child makes me think he'd become a prized player for Manchester United.

As they get older, that seems to be the way their personalities and interests are developing. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18137 on: March 11, 2014, 02:05:40 PM »
Nekole, pronounced Nicole.

pwv

« Reply #18138 on: March 22, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »
Baby boys on Maury:

Blazen

Mateo

Morocco

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #18139 on: March 22, 2014, 05:25:54 PM »
Mateo's legit; it's the Spanish form of Matthew.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18140 on: March 22, 2014, 08:11:11 PM »
As a place name I think Morocco is cool--Morry, Rocco. I don't like Mariah Carey's Moroccan though--making a perfectly good noun into an adjective seems weird to me. Plus, they used the surname Cannon... When your surname is a noun, I think you have to be especially careful or you just sound silly. Moroccan Cannon.

Brought to you by the person with ancestors named Pleasant, Fry, and Jewel Hamm.
~Lynn2000

Addy

« Reply #18141 on: March 22, 2014, 10:17:30 PM »
As a place name I think Morocco is cool--Morry, Rocco. I don't like Mariah Carey's Moroccan though--making a perfectly good noun into an adjective seems weird to me. Plus, they used the surname Cannon... When your surname is a noun, I think you have to be especially careful or you just sound silly. Moroccan Cannon.

Brought to you by the person with ancestors named Pleasant, Fry, and Jewel Hamm.

Fry Hamm is awesome.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18142 on: March 22, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »

Fry Hamm is awesome.

There's also a Fry Fish. My people were obsessed with food, apparently.
~Lynn2000

bridalviolet

« Reply #18143 on: March 23, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »
Some friends of mine translated our names into their literal (but loose) interpretations. The three most memorable:
My best friend: Clumsy Child of God
Me: Defender of Three O'clock in the Morning
Boyfriend at the time: Dark Angel of Death

My husband's middle name is Duncan, which means "warrior"; our last name, Forsyth, means "man of peace." I joke with him that he must have a split personality.

Momiitz

« Reply #18144 on: March 23, 2014, 07:02:48 PM »
I worked with a girl named Precious Jewel.

BB-VA

« Reply #18145 on: March 23, 2014, 08:22:59 PM »
I worked with a girl named Precious Jewel.

I saw a young woman named Precious Jewel on Say Yes to the  Dress the other night - maybe it was her?
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

pwv

« Reply #18146 on: March 24, 2014, 06:00:23 AM »
I saw that episode also.  Her full name is:

Queen Precious-Jewel Earth (lastname)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #18147 on: March 24, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
My name translates to "Wing'ed snake, son of the wise ruler."
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #18148 on: March 25, 2014, 07:46:23 PM »
Zsuzsanna

MeShell

Barf.

(That last one is an expression of my feelings about the first two, rather than another horrid name.)
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #18149 on: March 25, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »
Zsuzsanna

MeShell

Barf.

(That last one is an expression of my feelings about the first two, rather than another horrid name.)

Zsuzsanna is Hungarian. Although, I do think that's going to be a hard one to explain/spell if the child lives in North America.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.