Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1997844 times)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18150 on: March 25, 2014, 08:13:52 PM »
Zsuzsanna

MeShell

Barf.

(That last one is an expression of my feelings about the first two, rather than another horrid name.)

Zsuzsanna is Hungarian. Although, I do think that's going to be a hard one to explain/spell if the child lives in North America.

Really? Wow...I would never have dreamed that one was legit. She's actually an adult and lives in Phoenix, Arizona but I have no clue where she was born. She was in the news in a peripheral way because her husband is a complete and utter expletive expletive expletive.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #18151 on: March 25, 2014, 08:41:09 PM »
Well, my name meaning is "white bitter water." I have yet to figure out how that pertains to my life.  :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #18152 on: March 25, 2014, 10:12:53 PM »
Well, my name meaning is "white bitter water." I have yet to figure out how that pertains to my life.  :P

wonder what "black sweet wine" would be?
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #18153 on: March 25, 2014, 10:39:10 PM »
Zsuzsanna

MeShell

Barf.

(That last one is an expression of my feelings about the first two, rather than another horrid name.)

Zsuzsanna is Hungarian. Although, I do think that's going to be a hard one to explain/spell if the child lives in North America.

I know a Zsuzsanna. She goes by Zsu Zsa. She is in her mid 40's and does spend time explaining her name isn't Susan but it seems to have not been too extreme.

menley

« Reply #18154 on: March 26, 2014, 05:59:35 AM »
Zsuzsanna

MeShell

Barf.

I know a Zsuzsanna. She goes by Zsu Zsa. She is in her mid 40's and does spend time explaining her name isn't Susan but it seems to have not been too extreme.

Yes, most names with a Zs will be Hungarian (think Zsa Zsa Gabor). I've had a few friends when visiting comment on the "funky name spellings" of Hungarians (such as Jozsef for Joseph, Krisztina for Christina, etc) - but here it's not funky, it's traditional and based on the alphabet!

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18155 on: March 26, 2014, 06:25:13 AM »
Zsuzsanna

MeShell

Barf.

Yes, most names with a Zs will be Hungarian (think Zsa Zsa Gabor). I've had a few friends when visiting comment on the "funky name spellings" of Hungarians (such as Jozsef for Joseph, Krisztina for Christina, etc) - but here it's not funky, it's traditional and based on the alphabet!

I've always liked "Andrzej" (Polish form of Andrew).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #18156 on: March 26, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
 I know a Polish boy in America with the name Ian. 

He gets called:
Eee In
Aye In
Eye in
Yaan
Jane
Hey you!
:)

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

menley

« Reply #18157 on: March 26, 2014, 05:44:02 PM »

He gets called:
Eee In
Aye In
Eye in
Yaan
Jane
Hey you!
:)

Aye In and Eye In sound the same to me... what's the difference?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18158 on: March 26, 2014, 05:45:35 PM »

He gets called:
Eee In   ...

How is it supposed to be pronounced?  I know two.  Both pronounce it (more or less) Eee an.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #18159 on: March 26, 2014, 06:45:48 PM »

He gets called:
Eee In   ...

How is it supposed to be pronounced?  I know two.  Both pronounce it (more or less) Eee an.

I've always heard it pronounced Yan.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #18160 on: March 26, 2014, 06:48:46 PM »

He gets called:
Eee In   ...

That's the only pronunciation I know, too.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Teenyweeny

« Reply #18161 on: March 26, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »

He gets called:
Eee In   ...

That's how I would pronounce the UK version. Polish or other eastern european versions I've only heard pronounced as Yan (usually spelled Jan).

Addy

« Reply #18162 on: March 26, 2014, 07:01:55 PM »

He gets called:
Eee In   ...

That's how I would pronounce the UK version. Polish or other eastern european versions I've only heard pronounced as Yan (usually spelled Jan).

Yeah, it's the "I" at the start of the name that was throwing me off too, because I would have said Ee-an as well. I would expect if it were pronounced Yan that it would be spelled with a J. But then I remembered a man I met from Romania named Ionut that was pronounced something like Yon-newt, so yeah, long story short, I get it now.  ;)

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #18163 on: March 26, 2014, 07:10:11 PM »

He gets called:
Eee In   ...

Spelt as Jan, yes definitely not an issue that's 'yan'.  But I wouldn't read 'Ian' as Jan, even though i know they're all variations on 'John'
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18164 on: March 26, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
I saw the name Re'Nita the other day. Renita is a perfectly nice name. I just don't understand the compulsion to put in an apostrophe, and a second capital letter. Maybe they indicate something about the pronunciation or meaning that I am not privy to.
~Lynn2000