Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1957734 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18165 on: March 27, 2014, 07:30:09 AM »
Some friends of mine translated our names into their literal (but loose) interpretations. The three most memorable:
My best friend: Clumsy Child of God
Me: Defender of Three O'clock in the Morning
Boyfriend at the time: Dark Angel of Death

My husband's middle name is Duncan, which means "warrior"; our last name, Forsyth, means "man of peace." I joke with him that he must have a split personality.

I was always quite amused that Anne (could never find just Annie in a names book) means grace.  Course most of my youth I took that to mean physical grace, of which I had very little.  Still don't have much of that, honestly, though at least I manage to avoid breaking bones or getting stitches.  But I still find myself saying "Hey how'd that bruise get there? Oh yeah, that must be from the baby gate."

Course now I realize it probably means other forms of grace, and I'm still not totally sure I have those either. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kariachi

« Reply #18166 on: March 27, 2014, 10:19:55 AM »
Some friends of mine translated our names into their literal (but loose) interpretations. The three most memorable:
My best friend: Clumsy Child of God
Me: Defender of Three O'clock in the Morning
Boyfriend at the time: Dark Angel of Death

My husband's middle name is Duncan, which means "warrior"; our last name, Forsyth, means "man of peace." I joke with him that he must have a split personality.

I was always quite amused that Anne (could never find just Annie in a names book) means grace.  Course most of my youth I took that to mean physical grace, of which I had very little.  Still don't have much of that, honestly, though at least I manage to avoid breaking bones or getting stitches.  But I still find myself saying "Hey how'd that bruise get there? Oh yeah, that must be from the baby gate."

Course now I realize it probably means other forms of grace, and I'm still not totally sure I have those either. :)

My middle name, I looked up once. After a long string of "___ form of ___" and "variation of ____" I finally got to the very start of it, "thought to be based on the word ____, meaning 'torture'".

So yeah. Apparently my first and middle name together mean "Noble Torture".
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18167 on: March 27, 2014, 11:29:34 AM »
Re Ann (or Anne).

In the New Testament, Saint Ann is the mother of the Virgin Mary.  Catholics and some other Christians believe that Mary was conceived without original sin.  Given this belief, Grace would be an appropriate name for her mother. 

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #18168 on: March 28, 2014, 10:20:18 AM »
I know a Polish boy in America with the name Ian. 

He gets called:
Eee In   ...

How is it supposed to be pronounced?  I know two.  Both pronounce it (more or less) Eee an.

That's the only pronunciation I know, too.

That's how I would pronounce the UK version. Polish or other eastern european versions I've only heard pronounced as Yan (usually spelled Jan).

Spelt as Jan, yes definitely not an issue that's 'yan'.  But I wouldn't read 'Ian' as Jan, even though i know they're all variations on 'John'

My oldest is Ian and we use "Eee-yan."  My husband is Jon so we were pretty much naming him after his father as Ian corresponds to "John" in Gaelic.

The youngest is Duncan which as someone already mentioned means "warrior" - and yes, he is a little warrior. 

I've started calling the 2 of them Thor and Loki.  Ian is tall and serious and very rule-minded and Duncan is shorter and definitely full of mischief.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18169 on: March 28, 2014, 10:31:39 AM »

My oldest is Ian and we use "Eee-yan."  My husband is Jon so we were pretty much naming him after his father as Ian corresponds to "John" in Gaelic.

The youngest is Duncan which as someone already mentioned means "warrior" - and yes, he is a little warrior. 

I've started calling the 2 of them Thor and Loki.  Ian is tall and serious and very rule-minded and Duncan is shorter and definitely full of mischief.

Hijinks, something of interest I remembered off the top of my head: In the TV Series Highlander: The series, the main character was named Duncan MacLeod. In flashbacks, we find out his father was the Chieftan of the clan MacLeod... and his name was.... Ian.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #18170 on: March 28, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
Ian-

EEEEE n

AAAAA  n

The way I know it is EEE  n.

There could also be IIIII n,
like the blonde actor that was on Beverly Hills 90210, the 90's version.

more ways to pronounce it than there are letters in it!  :)

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #18171 on: March 29, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »
New spelling version to me today:

Makhyla

just another Mckayla
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

squeakers

« Reply #18172 on: March 29, 2014, 08:08:08 PM »
New spelling version to me today:

Makhyla

just another Mckayla

Or Michaela. Or any of the variants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michaela
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Mal

« Reply #18173 on: April 01, 2014, 09:28:40 AM »
Ian-

EEEEE n

AAAAA  n

The way I know it is EEE  n.

There could also be IIIII n,
like the blonde actor that was on Beverly Hills 90210, the 90's version.

more ways to pronounce it than there are letters in it!  :)

I recently worked with the German audiobook of a British novel and the narrator kept pronouncing it "eye-an".

123sandy

« Reply #18174 on: April 01, 2014, 09:46:55 AM »
Ian...E-an or E-un

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #18175 on: April 01, 2014, 09:47:37 AM »
There was a strange spelling of Michaela on Wheel of Fortune last night, but I didn't write it down.

Parents neighbors introduced their granddaughters to me: Madison (5 or 6 year old girl) and Jubilee (2 year old girl).  Poor kids!
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Jones

« Reply #18176 on: April 01, 2014, 10:04:33 AM »
Ian is E-un, according to the kids' show "Olivia" and my cousin, who named her son Ian.

I also know several female Madisons, and of one Jubilee.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18177 on: April 01, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »
Ian is E-un, according to the kids' show "Olivia" and my cousin, who named her son Ian.

I also know several female Madisons, and of one Jubilee.

Madison is quite a common name for girls.  Madisons are often nicknamed 'Maddy'.  'Brooklyn' is also a maddeningly common name for a girl. 

Mal

« Reply #18178 on: April 01, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »
'Brooklyn' is also a maddeningly common name for a girl.

As well as gargoyles.

Carotte

« Reply #18179 on: April 01, 2014, 12:37:33 PM »
I wouldn't have thought that Ian would throw off (Anglophile) people that much.
For me it's such a normal, English name! Ian McKellen (Lord of the ring/X-men actor)) comes to mind.
At least phonetically the French equivalent would be Yann, I've met a Jan - pronounced Yan/Ian and that was from Holland.