Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1917021 times)

Addy

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18240 on: April 20, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »
I wonder if it is Scott and Lynn, put together. I don't care for it either.

My (female) first grade teacher's name was "Kevlyn". Her dad's name was Kevin and her mum's name was "Lynn".

Ha! My son's (male) second grade teacher was Kalen. His mom was Kathy and his dad was Len.

I have a friend who is named Marcelline, after her dad, Marcel. Her brother is Dennis, named after their mom, Denise.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #18241 on: April 20, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »
Isn't Ibn Arabic for "son of"?  Rashaad ibn Rafiq would be Rashaad son of Rafiq.

Meanwhile, watching Crime Channel. Suspect in a murder is a girl named "Cinnamon". I've heard of Ginger, and I went to school with two sisters named Pepper and Sage, but I've never heard of Cinnamon.

Cinnamon was the name of Barbara Bain's character in the original Mission Impossible. I also met a young lady last year whose last name was Cinnamon.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18242 on: April 20, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »
Isn't Ibn Arabic for "son of"?  Rashaad ibn Rafiq would be Rashaad son of Rafiq.

Meanwhile, watching Crime Channel. Suspect in a murder is a girl named "Cinnamon". I've heard of Ginger, and I went to school with two sisters named Pepper and Sage, but I've never heard of Cinnamon.

I'm having an "now I feel old" moment - there is a song from my childhood that a guy is singing about a girl named...you guessed it, "Cinnamon"!  Rock & roll - I just can't remember what decade or who the singer was....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

barkingmad

« Reply #18243 on: April 21, 2014, 01:28:43 AM »
Was this the  girl that killed her mother?  I worked about a mile away at the time and this has always haunted me.

menley

« Reply #18244 on: April 21, 2014, 05:53:07 AM »
Adding "lyn" to names drives me a bit crazy. I have a Facebook friend who wanted to name her daughter Quinn after her father, but named her Quinnlyn to "make it a girl's name". I thought Quinn was already perfectly fine for a girl?

I have another FB friend who just had a baby girl - named Brynnlyn. Oy.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #18245 on: April 21, 2014, 08:00:07 AM »
Was this the  girl that killed her mother?  I worked about a mile away at the time and this has always haunted me.

Cinnamon Brown killed her stepmother- after her father- and stepmother's younger sister-  basically brainwashed her into it.

magicdomino

« Reply #18246 on: April 21, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »

I'm having an "now I feel old" moment - there is a song from my childhood that a guy is singing about a girl named...you guessed it, "Cinnamon"!  Rock & roll - I just can't remember what decade or who the singer was....

"Cinnamon
Let me in.
Knock knock
Let me in
I won't go away"

I'm thinking late 60s.  Have to admit, I think the name is cute.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #18247 on: April 21, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »
My ex is heavily into genealogy, and will often give our son updates on the information he has found.  Ex really gets into it, and there are some interesting names in his family tree.

An intriguing one he recently discovered is the name Salathiel.  Evidently, it is a legitimate, Biblical masculine name.  The more I say it out loud, the more I like it.  Had I known of this name at the time we were expecting our son, I might even have considered it.  It is enough like Nathaniel or Daniel, with that -iel ending, to sound not so weird, and I happen to love Sal as a nickname for a boy, (I have a great-uncle Salvatore on my Italian side who goes by Sal.) 

Do y'all like it?  I'm not having any more children; that train left the station long ago, but I was wondering if it really is kind of a cool name, or is it too oddball for a kid of the 21st century?  The Salathiel in the family tree lived in the 1800s.

It's a super awesome name for a cat. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #18248 on: April 21, 2014, 12:00:29 PM »
My ex is heavily into genealogy, and will often give our son updates on the information he has found.  Ex really gets into it, and there are some interesting names in his family tree.

An intriguing one he recently discovered is the name Salathiel.  Evidently, it is a legitimate, Biblical masculine name.  The more I say it out loud, the more I like it.  Had I known of this name at the time we were expecting our son, I might even have considered it.  It is enough like Nathaniel or Daniel, with that -iel ending, to sound not so weird, and I happen to love Sal as a nickname for a boy, (I have a great-uncle Salvatore on my Italian side who goes by Sal.) 

Do y'all like it?  I'm not having any more children; that train left the station long ago, but I was wondering if it really is kind of a cool name, or is it too oddball for a kid of the 21st century?  The Salathiel in the family tree lived in the 1800s.

It's a super awesome name for a cat. 

Googling tells me that "Salthiel" comes from the Hebrew for "I have asked of God."
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Redwing

« Reply #18249 on: April 21, 2014, 03:30:20 PM »

"Cinnamon
Let me in.
Knock knock
Let me in
I won't go away"

Tommy Roe.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #18250 on: April 21, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »

A friend of mine has cousins named Cinnamon (female), Pepsi (male), and Jean-Luc (male, born in the US, no French ancestry).

I ran into someone named Perew the other day. A Google search reveals that it is a last name, so maybe it's a case of someone using a family last name as a first name. It's not horrible - just a bit odd.

I've known a Cinnamon, but for Jean-Luc, were his parents big Star Trek: The Next Generation fans, perchance? :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

BB-VA

« Reply #18251 on: April 21, 2014, 09:01:11 PM »

"Cinnamon
Let me in.
Knock knock
Let me in
I won't go away"

Tommy Roe.

Here's the version I remember, by somebody who used the name Derek.  Explanation in the comments under the video. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3FTpaYP0vQ
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18252 on: April 21, 2014, 11:46:35 PM »

Cinnamon Brown killed her stepmother- after her father- and stepmother's younger sister-  basically brainwashed her into it.
That's the crime profile I was watching when I saw the name.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18253 on: April 21, 2014, 11:51:03 PM »

It's definitely got a biblical ring to it.

I probably read too much horror and fantasy, because Salathiel sounds a bit like either an angel or a demon or some kind of supernatural entity. It puts me in mind of angels like Uriel and Remiel, or demons like Agiel or Belial.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

parrot_girl

« Reply #18254 on: April 22, 2014, 09:06:51 AM »
One of the students at my work is named Cinnamon Barnes.
DH wants to know if she has siblings called Honey or Hot Cross.