Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 2006080 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18270 on: May 02, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »
On the email address front, I once knew a girl in college whose last name was Lum, and her first name started with S, so the email address the university had come up with for her was... slum@blahblah.edu ::facepalm::

In other news, I read an article about an American artist named Howardena (Pindell). Yes, her father's name was Howard, apparently.
~Lynn2000

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18271 on: May 02, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »
Mary Jane doesn't have to be in relation to the drug.  My mom's name is Mary Jane and my grandparents certainly aren't hippies or users or anything like that.  They just wanted to give their daughter a nice Catholic name. 

I met a Jorja today (woman's name).  If I got the pronounciation right, it's a variant of Georgia.

Records at my job indicate we have an Able and a Nixon (both first names). 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18272 on: May 02, 2014, 06:39:59 PM »
When I hear the name Mary Jane, I think of the Spiderman character or the shoes. It never cross my mind to think of drugs, but then, I clueless about that stuff.

I also think Mary Joanna is a pretty name. I even said it out loud and it just doesn't sound like *that* to me.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18273 on: May 02, 2014, 07:03:46 PM »
Mary Jane doesn't have to be in relation to the drug.  My mom's name is Mary Jane and my grandparents certainly aren't hippies or users or anything like that.  They just wanted to give their daughter a nice Catholic name. 

I met a Jorja today (woman's name).  If I got the pronounciation right, it's a variant of Georgia.

Records at my job indicate we have an Able and a Nixon (both first names).

Jorja Fox comes to mind... oh and for Able? if they spelled it Abel it would make more sense.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18274 on: May 05, 2014, 11:16:45 PM »
Someone on my facebook feed is naming her son... Raiden.

faithlessone

« Reply #18275 on: May 06, 2014, 02:34:46 AM »
Someone on my facebook feed is naming her son... Raiden.

Confession: When I was about 14, this was the top of my hypothetical baby-names list. It just sounded so powerful.

However, I have since grown up. Has your Facebook friend?

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #18276 on: May 06, 2014, 02:37:30 AM »
Sounds like a brand of ant and wasp killer.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #18277 on: May 06, 2014, 04:38:28 AM »
I know a Polish boy in America with the name Ian. 

He gets called:
Eee In   ...

How is it supposed to be pronounced?  I know two.  Both pronounce it (more or less) Eee an.

I've always heard it pronounced Yan.

I only had two uncles. They were were both called Ian - both men were of Scottish descent. We pronounced it Ee-an. Funnily enough if you say Uncle Ian quickly enough it sounds like Unclean. 

Victoria

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18278 on: May 06, 2014, 05:41:11 AM »
I only had two uncles. They were were both called Ian - both men were of Scottish descent. We pronounced it Ee-an. Funnily enough if you say Uncle Ian quickly enough it sounds like Unclean.
We used to have a coworker in our IT department who answered the phone "IT. Robert speaking.", but the way he said it so quickly always sounded to me like he was saying "Aunty Robert speaking". I mentioned this to a couple of coworkers. Guess what we started calling him.  ;)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18279 on: May 07, 2014, 09:01:06 AM »
I know many Ians and only one pronounces his "eye-an". I always have to remember that, since he will correct you.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #18280 on: May 15, 2014, 02:07:41 PM »
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18281 on: May 15, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
I saw a name today that made me think of this thread. "Chrispina" like Christina, but with a P. It wasn't a typo because she(?) signed that herself.

Addy

« Reply #18282 on: May 15, 2014, 02:31:17 PM »
To go along with the most popular baby names of 2013 (http://www.today.com/moms/top-baby-names-noah-sophia-most-popular-2013-2D79637133), here are the wackiest: http://www.today.com/moms/22-most-outrageous-baby-names-2013-rarity-ransom-subaru-more-2D79669286

Subaru? Kyndle?

Hee hee! I snerked at Rarity. Where are all the babies named Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie?  ;D

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #18283 on: May 15, 2014, 02:50:16 PM »
To go along with the most popular baby names of 2013 (http://www.today.com/moms/top-baby-names-noah-sophia-most-popular-2013-2D79637133), here are the wackiest: http://www.today.com/moms/22-most-outrageous-baby-names-2013-rarity-ransom-subaru-more-2D79669286

Subaru? Kyndle?

Huh, I named my Subaru Gipp (last name of a legendary Notre Dame football player) because I think Subaru is kind of hard to say. I would certainly not name a human being Subaru.  (And if I wanted to name a child for the infamous Gipper, I'd opt for his first name, George.)
Formerly Mrs.Bart